Update: Gov backs down from outlawing strike, but fails to negotiate...so new strike incoming || Ontario Conservative government overrides constitution, eliminates right to strike for education workers

4 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Cupe is reportedly delaying their announcement to get Premier Ford's promise from this morning in writing.  If they do, they reportedly will not strike.

A dumb move, if the strike-stop doesn't come with conditions attached (from the government's side) about binding arbitration on a new contract, etc. 

I’m surprised they are ending the strike. The offer like some have said is a BS offer. I think they would of won their court case and could of really put the heat on Ford. I would of love too of seen all these union labour workers from other jobs walk in solidarity with them. Who knows what will happen at the bargaining table and a strike might happen again. I assume that won’t happen because they got Ford and his party a little scared. 

Looks like the agreement is to end the strike to return to the bargaining table (and have the bill repealed). So not horrible. But it looks like they had a bunch of private and public unions ready for a general strike, which is what caused Ford to back down from the NWC. If the union can get the 6-6-6 contract they appear to have wanted in their counteroffer (or something close), then I'd call it a win for the union.

1 hour ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Bill 28 was brought in after CUPE announced a plan to strike.

CUPE is now announcing a "victory", after the Government promises to rescind Bill 28 because they announced they wouldn't strike.

At the end of the day, the government didn't even just file back to work legislation (which is shady enough), they opted to override the constitution. There's no defense for that.

As long as the repeal includes going back to the bargaining table for both parties then it's a minor win for CUPE. They were not going to win their fight with the labor board but it would have pushed other unions to join in and the best hope would be binding arbitration. It's a minor black eye for the government but ultimately will be forgotten by parents in the long run.

Either way, in the end I agree with this sentiment (point down)

5 minutes ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

At the end of the day, we're back to where we were a week ago, and the schools are open again -- which is the most important thing.

• 2 weeks later...
  • CitizenVectron changed the title to Update: Gov backs down from outlawing strike, but fails to negotiate...so new strike incoming || Ontario Conservative government overrides constitution, eliminates right to strike for education workers