Digital Foundry: Why the Return of 30fps console games is inevitable

crispy4000

Interesting that ray tracing wasn't even mentioned in the article.  I suppose the games that rely on it could easier scale down for a performance mode.  Though Plague's Tale is still getting a forthcoming RT update on PC.

With UE5 on the horizon, I think we see even fewer console games bother with it.

15 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Imagine thinking you are gonna get 60FPS for PS5/XBX exclusive games because cross gen games are 60FPS.

Its just funny because half of them just spent the last two decades downplaying 60fps and the other half has been whining about the long cross gen period! 

I make this point every time a new console comes out, but people always want to believe that framerate is king and that this time, with this much horsepower, that devs will decide to focus on framerates instead. I do think we're seeing a shift in that direction a little bit, and we might get performance modes in more games, but sooner or later 30 fps always becomes the standard.

It's not hard to see why. People gravitate towards the prettier games, and no matter how powerful the console, devs will find the limit and have a choice to make between performance and fps. Most devs, like most people, end up going with the better looking option at the cost of extra frames.

The talk in that article about 40fps being an exact midpoint between 30 and 60 is interesting. I haven't been well versed in frame-time vs frame rate. That does seem like a good middle ground that we could see adopted more and more.

Maybe I'm just entering a different phase of my gaming career, maybe it's just the pandemic and all the delays, but I can't think of a time when there were so few AAA games I was interested in. I find mid-tier games and smaller indie games are doing a lot more interesting things. 

The last thing they could do to  get my attention is to shift back to 30 FPS and be like, hey the world is huge or whatever. 

• Halal 1

26 minutes ago, Paperclyp said:

Maybe I'm just entering a different phase of my gaming career, maybe it's just the pandemic and all the delays, but I can't think of a time when there were so few AAA games I was interested in. I find mid-tier games and smaller indie games are doing a lot more interesting things. 

The last thing they could do to  get my attention is to shift back to 30 FPS and be like, hey the world is huge or whatever. 

Same boat

I have a buttload of cash that I wanna spend on a new PC build but every time I go to pull the trigger I am reminded that 99% of the games I play could run off of a PS4 equivalent.

52 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@stepee Do you think future games can still utilize 40fps VRR? Like the potential UE5 titles?

They will when possible for sure! But like crispy said, some of this stuff is going to struggle to hit 40 even. I think Sony will continue to get their games optimized to at least hit 40. I don’t think many other devs will intentionally opt for it though, I think it’s more that games that happen to have a performance profile that already runs at 40fps~, they will toss the mode in, if it’s not already hitting that target it’s probably not worth it to optimize to get there until 120hz/vrr adoption is up.

1 minute ago, SimpleG said:

Same boat

I have a buttload of cash that I wanna spend on a new PC build but every time I go to pull the trigger I am reminded that 99% of the games I play could run off of a PS4 equivalent.

That’s when you know it’s steam deck time!

2 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

Man I hate how info moved to video so much.

I watched the whole thing but it was just what was already obvious.

Its cpu limited due to poor optimization and reliance on single thread performance. There is no way to scale the console versions down to add a performance mode and there is currently no cpu that can single thread brute force it’s way to a solid 60fps.

And since it’s optimization that is the key issue, the game doesn’t even earn its performance (though I do think it’s still a fantastic looking game performance aside, it’s just that it would have to be like the next Crysis to justify this) , so it’s not a sign of things to come for consoles. Look to Plague’s Tale Requiem for that.

Honestly the only way to save this on pc besides compiling shaders on launch is to add DLSS3 to skip past the cpu issue and lock it to 90fps or something. 

• Halal 1

15 minutes ago, Zaku3 said:

Damn Bayo 3 is gonna need to be emulated. It'a above 30FPS but it's 810p docked and 480p handheld. 

This doesn't technically belong here but it kinda does. 

Kinda does ya. I was disappointed by that too, I’m glad I haven’t played Bayo 2, that runs great on switch still so I have that to look forward to sometime before Bayo 3 is maybe updated for Switch 2 hopefully. Sounds like gameplay wise it’s fantastic but floating frame rate hovering around 40’s at 480p dynamic ew.

The lads on resetera believe a Switch 2 is coming out with the new Zelda. They state the SOC is codename  Drake but I dunno. I can imagine it being way more powerful then the one in the Switch but it's Nintendo. Are they really not gonna make what is in essence a handheld PS4. Their handhelds tend to be a generation behind though this might have DLSS.