Wild Hearts (EA/Koei Tecmo Monster Hunter-like title) - EA reportedly ending support just seven months after launch

Brian

• 3 weeks later...
  • Brian changed the title to Weird news of the day: EA announces partnership with Koei Tecmo - Wild Hearts
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Wild Hearts (EA/Koei Tecmo Monster Hunter-like title) - Gameplay Trailer
TvGYeQz2KwfqYtvC5bUmJc-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

The developers behind the Toukiden series are back for another tilt at the hunting genre with Wild Hearts.

The latest EA Originals title, it must be said, is stretching the latter term, and not even for the most obvious reason. Wild Hearts, in development from Koei Tecmo's Omega Force (best-known for the Dynasty Warriors series), is fairly obviously a direct competitor to, and highly inspired by, Capcom's Monster Hunter series. But it's also Omega Force's second bite at this particular cherry, following the demon-slaying Toukiden series.

Which is all to say that a lot of Wild Hearts will look familiar even if, in the hands, it has more than a few interesting tricks up its sleeve. The game was first shown at an EA Originals preview showcase introduced by Yosuke Hayashi, interesting because he's the head of Team Ninja rather than Omega Force, who studiously avoided drawing any comparison to Toukiden while saying Wild Hearts is the result of four years of development (Toukiden 2 came out in 2016). The game represents, in Hayashi's words, the development team returning to "unfinished business in the hunting game genre".

wild-hearts-header.jpg
WWW.ROCKPAPERSHOTGUN.COM

We got hands-on with a few hours of monster-hunting action RPG Wild Hearts and reckon it's on track to be major competition for Monster Hunter.

Wild Hearts is Koei Tecmo and EA Original's effort to muscle in on Monster Hunter's monopoly on video games where your primary goal is to make nice pants from gigantic fire geckos. I was lucky enough to go hands-on with an early build of the Wild Hearts's opening hours to see how it stacks up against its age-old competitor, and whether it has any chance of melting down Monster Hunter's trophy cabinet and forging itself a golden crown.

One of my biggest gripes with Monster Hunter is its onboarding process: it's exactly like a real life onboarding process. You're hit with hundreds, if not thousands, of tooltips worded like official documentation, all to explain its many intricate systems. And while it's not necessarily a bad thing, a huge part of successful monster hunting lies in understanding and navigating the game's menus, before you even begin to customise them to your liking. This depth is what makes Monster Hunter brilliant, but it's an obstacle that many players – like me, for many years – just couldn't scramble over.

From the early build I played, Wild Hearts was much easier to get to grips with than Monster Hunter. And I think that's down to how it wasn't structured around a bustling town already filled with merchants and blacksmiths, cat-chefs and multiple quest-givers. Instead, I was guided through a story-driven tutorial that largely equated to "There are Kemono (monsters) knocking about the gaff and that's bad, so please knock them out of the gaff, cheers." It introduced me to the basics of combat, which felt suitably weighty (you know me, it has to be weighty) and eased me gently into making a camp, which, it turned out, was at the centre of the game's rhythm.

Wild-Hearts-Wolf-Hero500.jpg
WWW.THESIXTHAXIS.COM

We go hands on with Wild Hearts. the new hunting game from Omega Force that fuses Monster Hunter, Fortnite and more into something new.

You could be forgiven for trying to boil Wild Hearts down to “Monster Hunter had a baby with Fortnite and raised it with Tsushima”, but that would be far too reductive and not entirely accurate. While there are similarities and potentially even inspirations, Wild Hearts is very much its own game doing its own thing.

Monster Hunter is, however, the easiest comparison to draw, thanks to both games being in the hunting genre. Instead of monsters, you have kemono (the Japanese for ‘monster’ if you drop the first letter — I see what you did there, Koei Tecmo), but otherwise it’s pretty similar at a basic level: pick one of eight weapons, choose a monster to hunt and go and hit it until one of you dies.

But Wild Hearts is very different to its forbears and inspirations in several ways. Unlike Monster Hunter, where there’s all manner of wyverns and dragons, this game is very much grounded in nature, asking what would happen if you infused animals with nature, and the power to shape the natural world. This leaves us with giant rodents, the aptly named Kingtusk and a slew of other monsters. As the embodiment of raw natural power, the kemono look more demonic than the bestiary of Monster Hunter, especially when you compare Kingtusk to, say, a Bullfango, but that doesn’t make them look any less cool. We don’t know why they look so demonic at this point, or if that ties into the story, but we do know there is an overarching story to play through, and that the once-peaceful kemono are now driving people from their lands.

Generally, Wild Hearts’ combat feels good and leads to plenty of hype moments. There was a bit of jank in the build I played, especially with the camera and targeting. It tends to come with fighting big, agile creatures in games in general, and there’s some feedback I’d like to be a bit more “crunchy” and obvious, but learning the systems and how to out-maneuver the bit of jank is just part of the genre at this point. There’s more to Wild Hearts than just wielding huge weapons against giant animals so you can make new pants, though – you can build stuff on the fly mid-combat.

This Karakuri mechanic really sets Wild Hearts apart from anything else in the genre, to my knowledge. (No, Fortnite is not in this genre.) With Karakuri, I could do things like build crates in an instant to leap off of and deal devastating attacks, or build springs to dash away in place of a dodge when my stamina was low. The third “basic” Karakuri I unlocked is the torch, which, once erected, allowed me to coat my weapon in flames or deal a satisfying fire attack to the vulnerable, plant-based Kemono.

Building Karakuri in certain ways leads to entirely new structures. If I built six crates in a rectangle formation, it would create a Bulwark. This large wall stopped the Kingtusk in its tracks and hilariously flinged it away - if I built it correctly. I’ll eventually develop the skill to do this under pressure, but the loss of six-plus Karakuri at once with no payoff can be a ruinous setback. See, building Karakuri requires thread, which is usually overabundant, but it had run scarce in the area we fought in. You can climb any Kemono and attack weak points to replenish these materials, but I frustratingly failed to reach the only remaining spots. Unable to build, avoiding the monstrous beast’s attacks became very difficult, especially with the katana’s kit. I got knocked around an embarrassing amount before finally claiming victory.

eebig.jpg
WWW.RPGSITE.NET

EA and Koei Tecmo's upcoming Hunting Action RPG feels like it's shaping up to be a confident take on the genre, and a real competitor to Capcom's behemoth franchise

Sitting down for my chance to preview Wild Hearts, I was struck by how the Hunting Action genre has almost well and truly been dominated by Capcom's flagship series. Back when the PlayStation Vita was a supported platform in Japan, it felt like every Japanese company under the sun had to try their shot at a game to take on the king of the genre - yet for all their worth, titles like God Eater, Freedom Wars, Soul Sacrifice and Toukiden have all but dried out. Yet, with Monster Hunter: World’s massive success - selling over 20 million copies - it felt like only a matter of time before some major Western company threw its hat into the ring. Enter EA and Koei Tecmo’s collaboration with Wild Hearts, a new 3-person co-op Hunting Action title.

First things first; this game is not Toukiden. Despite Koei Tecmo’s previous foray into the genre, Wild Hearts is its own take on a similar idea. While players will once again take control of a hunter within Japan-inspired locales - Wild Hearts has players tasked with killing Kemono, instead of more traditional Japanese demons. As something of a unique twist, Kemono themselves are akin to a living force of nature. While each of the three I faced resembles a sort of animal, such as the Kingtusk which is clearly a giant Boar meshed with a tree, they all have their own unique elements that especially come into play whenever a Kemono enrages.

As a current-gen exclusive, even in the preview build’s early stage, it’s striking just how much the environment warps to the Kemono’s actions. When a Sapscourge enrages, it will start flinging hot magma-like sap everywhere, coating large portions of the arena, and forcing you to adapt your playstyle. When a Kingtusk becomes angry, large portions of the environment will become enveloped in tree branches, stumps, and even waves of jutting wood that require the player to effectively decide when to weave closer to the Kemono to attack.

Wild%20Hearts%2010.jpg?itok=EdP6BS1J
TECHRAPTOR.NET

Between some hands-on time and conversations with Lewis Harvey, EP at EA Originals, we've gathered up all of the Wild Hearts Details we know.

Wild%20Hearts%20Ragetail%20Combat.jpg?it
TECHRAPTOR.NET

Wild Hearts definitely nails the basic formula for a Hunter-style game, but with a unique trap-building mechanic it seeks to stand out from the rest.

One thing I definitely loved about the movement and action of this game is how responsive and fast-paced it is. In other Hunter games I've tended to feel like the time between getting to begin an attack, and when I've been able to connect with a monster and deal damage hasn't been satisfying. In Wild Hearts, each connection feels quick and satisfying with a weight behind each impact.

The building system of the game, Karakuri, has a lot going for it but the lack of variety and ability to overly depend on the system for quick high damage does leave me with some concerns about gameplay variety. Karakuri I was able to build included Boxes to be stood on, a spring pad to allow for quick traversal, and a torch. Dealing damage on the ground with my sword I might see damage numbers between 5-15, up to 40 if I had activated my sword's charge meter, but by quickly stacking three boxes and performing a strike from the sky I'd reach damage number of 600+. 

When your options are to awkwardly navigate between a Kemono's legs and hit it 50 times, or strike down once for an incredible amount of damage I found myself relying on the sky strikes far too much. Couple this with how easy it is to restore or overload your Karakuri threads, what you need to build in battle, and Kemono are suddenly far less threatening. For the Karakuri to not be so broken to the point of making battles somewhat boring there will need to be a lot of variety in the Kemono movement and attacks.

4044884-bohni_01_ape_4k-%281%29.jpg
WWW.GAMESPOT.COM

Wild Hearts' inspirations are obvious, but its unique high-speed crafting system creates a novel way to ground and defeat gigantic beasts.

Playing it is also surprising in some ways, and not at all surprising in others. We were given access to an early build that let us play through the opening and the first few major combat encounters. The non-surprising parts of the game will be familiar to anyone who has played a hunting game like Monster Hunter in recent years. Movement feels similar, as does the basic combat of the tutorials. The layout of the world, large and dense, distinct separated areas that can be accessed from the hub city, each housing a few different creatures, also feels familiar. The process of felling one of the giant creatures, referred to as Kemono in Wild Hearts, has a cadence I have experienced before, but there is plenty that gives the game a unique identity, the main one being the Karakuri system.

Karakuri is the crafting system, and in the fiction of Wild Hearts, it's a type of magic that instantly produces impressive pieces of engineering you can use in fascinating ways. The first Karakuri you unlock is the ability to produce a box you can climb on top of that ejects you into the air. You can quickly generate multiple stacked boxes, scramble to the top, and leap. This is useful for exploring the environment, but it gets really fun when you're fighting a Kemono. You can stack the boxes to get above your opponent and launch a devastating downward attack, use it to quickly get in the air to dodge an area-of-effect attack, or even create a barrier to slow down a rampaging Kemono. Creating these devices is fast, recalling an expert Fortnite builder, and even during my short time with the game, I unlocked a collection of interesting ones that were helpful both inside and outside of combat.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Wild Hearts (EA/Koei Tecmo Monster Hunter-like title) - new hands-on previews posted
  • 4 months later...
On 10/11/2022 at 12:27 AM, Keyser_Soze said:

I hope the PC versions are good because Toukiden had terrible ports.

Yeeeaaaahhh - about that...

MKeEMs7xXu6xz9KvL9Dg6o-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Strong combat let down by PC performance issues, far too few monsters and a gimmicky equipment system.

9 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I can’t say I’m surprised either. I would figure a new IP wouldn’t come out completely capable of dethroning Monster Hunter on its first outing.

I'm just talking about the performance alone.

I didn't think it would dethrone anything since the other two games they have made didn't exactly light up the world either, but it should at least be a competent game.

Game Information

Game Title: Wild Hearts

Platforms:

• PC (Feb 17, 2023)
  • PlayStation 5 (Feb 17, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Feb 17, 2023)
  • Xbox One (Feb 17, 2023)
  • PlayStation 4 (Feb 17, 2023)

Developer: KOEI TECMO GAMES CO., LTD.

Publisher: Electronic Arts

Review Aggregator:

OpenCritic - 80 average - 79% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Niche Gamer - Augusto A. - 9.5 / 10

Wild Hearts is an extremely fun monster-hunting game that anyone can sink their teeth into. The building system is a treat, the hunts are challenging, and the game has been really polished. Finding any complaints about the game feels like nitpicking, as the game doesn’t have any glaring defects or flaws. It’s rare when a gem like Wild Hearts comes around but it really is just a fantastic game, and I hope we get some expansions.

GamingBolt - Shunal Doke - 9 / 10

WILD HEARTS manages to carve out its own identity in a genre dominated by a single franchise through its clever takes on classic monster hunting gameplay. The combination of cool creature designs, interesting weapons, awesome maps, and a unique building system all add up to form a fun time.

GamingTrend - Cassie Peterson - 90 / 100

Wild Hearts brings a uniqueness to the monster hunting genre that keeps the experience feeling refreshing. The Karakuri and different weapon options are very fun to experiment with and present interesting combat opportunities. Overall, Wild Hearts capitalizes on what made monster hunting games so much fun in the first place while still giving fans of the genre a new reason to get excited and dive back into the fight.

God is a Geek - Mick Fraser - 9 / 10

Wild Hearts is a fantastic video game. It has so much flair and personality, and so much of it is designed with fun in mind.

TheSixthAxis - Dominic Leighton - 9 / 10

Wild Hearts has proved to be an immense surprise. It navigates the line between well-worn ground and exciting new innovation immensely well. It's the best non-Capcom hunting game we've ever had, and a hugely enjoyable action RPG in its own right.

ZTGD - Terrence Johnson - 9 / 10

I would like to see some improvements to AI and things in the future but with an aggressive post launch plan that includes more monsters (kemono) and story beats, Omega Force is firmly behind Wild Hearts and that can only mean good things for the monster hunting market at large.

Gaming Nexus - Eric Hauter - 8.8 / 10

WILD HEARTS marks the emergence of a worthy new AAA franchise. While the game suffers a bit from some minor technical issues on PC, the core gameplay is astoundingly strong. The mixture of wildly creative Kemono monsters and player-built karakuri creates a strong, addictive cocktail of fun. The challenge level is high, but victory feels triumphant. Highly recommended.

CGMagazine - Philip Watson - 8.5 / 10

Wild Hearts expands on a tried and true formula with its own blend of mechanics that make it a must for fans of big game hunting and gamers who like co-op.

Capsule Computers - Travis Bruno - 8.5 / 10

Wild Hearts’ feudal Japan setting and fusion of nature and beast create a gorgeous aesthetic with unique Karakuri elements alongside solid weapon mechanics making nearly every hunt enjoyable.

Checkpoint Gaming - Omi Koulas - 8.5 / 10

Wild Hearts takes the hunting action to the next level with vicious beasts, a vast world to explore, and an array of powerful weapons. But that's not all-the magical Karakuri crafting system seamlessly blends with combat and exploration to offer an awe-inspiring experience. It's so fluently integrated into the game that you'll be amazed at how much it advances combat, exploration, and the engaging gameplay loop. Still, the adventure suffers from visual issues and a waning grind. Even so, Wild Hearts is my new monster-hunting addiction.

Gamepur - Dave  Rodriguez - 8.5 / 10

At its worst, a game can take that formula and copy it shamelessly, which usually reminds me of the game it's drawing inspiration from in the first place. At its best, a game can take those inspirations and stand alongside them. It’s rare for the latter to happen, but Wild Hearts takes the essence of Monster Hunter and grows it with enough innovations to create a compelling experience that confidently stands on its own.

Hobby Consolas - David Rodriguez - Spanish - 85 / 100

Wild Hearts is a more than solid proposal that manages to come out well from its comparison with Monster Hunter. Its distinctive points are clear and give the game a style of its own. The Japanese design and atmosphere convinces and although it is far from being a round IP, Wild Hearts could have a great future as a saga.

Press Start - James Mitchell - 8.5 / 10

Wild Hearts' unique Karakuri mechanics and skill systems do just enough to offer a new take on the tried-and-true monster-hunting genre. While there is some inconsistent performance across all platforms, Wild Hearts bewildering bestiary of unique creature more than makes it worth a look.

Stevivor - Ethan Dean - 8.5 / 10

Still, that Wild Hearts gets so much right on its first tentative step into the arena is bloody impressive. Omega Force has created the first title I’ve played that is a genuine contender in the space and they’ve done more than enough to justify Wild Hearts’ place in it. The result is something meaningfully different in a genre no one else has been able to touch. It’s kind of like if someone made a Souls-like on par with an actual Souls.

WellPlayed - James Wood - 8.5 / 10

Wild Hearts is packed with creative mechanics and delightful flourishes that make it a welcome and exciting addition to the monster hunting genre.

XGN.nl - Sheadon Gunput - Dutch - 8.5 / 10

Wild Hearts has a magical world and the Kemono are challenging and incredible-looking creatures. The Karakurisystem is definitely the best part of the game and differentiates Wild Hearts from other monster-hunting games. The hunting is great besides some minor frustrations and the world is incredible, but the story is nothing special. It's a basic hero story but it helps build the world of Wild Hearts. Wild Hearts is an incredible game and you should definitely give it a shot!

XboxEra - Jesse Norris - 8.5 / 10

Wild Hearts was low on my list for 2023.  After spending 30 or so hours with it I’m stunned.  It is an incredible first effort from the team at Omega Force.  Mixing Monster Hunting with Green Lantern crafting works beautifully.  I hope this series is around for a very long time, because this game is excellent.

Video Chums - A.J. Maciejewski - 8.4 / 10

I'm having a wonderful time with WILD HEARTS and I can't wait to take on more monsters with online folks as I have a few tricks that I'd like to show off. Overall, this is a phenomenally fun and fully-featured monster-hunting game that I'm sure you'll love.

MondoXbox - Mirko Rossi - Italian - 8.3 / 10

Wild Hearts is a hunter-like game that is both respectful of tradition and at the same time very brave, thanks to innovations such as the Karakuri structure system and greater attention to the narrative. In addition, the game benefits from the care taken in designing the Kemono monsters and crafting an experience that will satisfy both genre veterans and newcomers. Despite a few youth issues, it is undoubtedly one of the best alternatives around for fans of the genre.

COGconnected - Mark Steighner - 82 / 100

If the developers were hoping to launch an IP that could stand side-by-side with other monster-hunting games, they can rest easy. Wild Hearts shares some mechanics with other titles in the genre, but it’s best when staking out unique territory. Hunting Kemono alone and with others, using the Karakuri, and just enjoying the game’s satisfying loop are all a lot of fun. Best of all, Wild Hearts has the mechanical foundation and potential for endless DLC and sequels. If they can live with its slightly disappointing visuals, fans of that “other” monster-hunting game have a viable and addictive alternative in Wild Hearts.

Attack of the Fanboy - Christian Bognar - 4 / 5

While the game stumbles here and there regarding camera issues, story, and a lack of enemy variety at launch, Koei Tecmo's Omega Force and EA's latest game still manages to land on its own two feet. A brilliant crafting system makes Wild Hearts unique and a lovely addition to the hunting subgenre.

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 4 / 5

While the premise remains the same throughout, the battles each offer unique enough enemies to ensure your tactics have to change per fight and progress is a must to move on. Well worth a look if you’re into lengthy epic boss battles.

Destructoid - Chris Carter - 8 / 10

Impressive efforts with a few noticeable problems holding them back. Won't astound everyone, but is worth your time and cash.

Game Informer - Louis Livingston-Garcia - 8 / 10

The gameplay matters most in Wild Hearts – it’s fresh, chaotic, and breathless. It does not reinvent the hunting genre, but it does just enough with its addition of the Karakuri gadgets and arresting locales (not to mention the myriad ways to traverse them) to give the genre a fresh and welcome perspective. A stronger story would have been welcome, and the camera leaves much to be desired, but Wild Hearts is a deeply engaging experience even with these faults.

GameSkinny - John Schutt - 8 / 10

It's time to tame the untameable.

GameSpot - Richard Wakeling - 8 / 10

Wild Hearts latches onto the familiar gameplay loop of Monster Hunter and infuses it with a fast-paced crafting system that lets you build your way to victory.

GamesRadar+ - Hirun Cryer - 4 / 5

"You'll need to stop and familiarize yourself with a monster and its attacks if you want to succeed"

Generación Xbox - Adrian Fuentes Berna - Spanish - 80 / 100

Wild Hearts will not surprise you with its graphics, but it will do so for its combat system and its ability to stay glued to the screen either playing alone or playing cooperatively

Hardcore Gamer - Chris Shive - 4 / 5

Wild Hearts offers a fresh take on the monster hunting formula.

IGN - Tom Marks - 8 / 10

Wild Hearts’ building mechanics add a very fun twist to its familiar but well-executed co-op monster hunting formula.

IGN Spain - Alejandro Morillas - Spanish - 8 / 10

Wild Hearts is not only a great exponent of the genre, but it can also be a highly recommended entry point.

Kakuchopurei - Lewis Larcombe - 80 / 100

Despite the game being familiar to other big game-hunting action titles, particularly Capcom's pioneer series, Wild Hearts' fast-paced building mechanics adds a breath of fresh air that makes it stand out. Technical shortcomings aside, EA and Koei Tecmo's offering entertains with its polished gameplay loop and much-needed quality-of-life improvements.

Metro GameCentral - GameCentral - 8 / 10

Arguably the best Monster Hunter clone ever made and while it's not quite as good as Capcom's series it does have some unique and interesting ideas of its own – despite initial impressions to the contrary.

Noisy Pixel - Nathan Mejia  - 8 / 10

Wild Hearts has so much to offer. From the striking monster designs, distinct weapon variety, and engaging combat, hunters will have a new favorite game to join up with friends and take down enormous foes. Outside of some dips in pacing in the later hours and a few repetitive encounters, there is little holding this game back from becoming a new name in the genre.

Push Square - John Cal McCormick - 8 / 10

Wild Hearts is, at times, an utterly thrilling game. It's a game that will leave you kicking yourself for a poorly timed dodge or a missed opportunity, and jumping out of your chair when you finally topple a troublesome foe with a last-ditch, go-for-broke attack. There's a handful of technical issues, a mite too much repetition, and some quibbles about the difficulty, but the core monster hunting experience is spectacular enough that the joys far outweigh the frustrations.

Shacknews - TJ Denzer - 8 / 10

I love Monster Hunter, and Wild Hearts isn’t perfect, but it improves and diversifies on that formula in ways I don’t think any fan of this genre should overlook. I want to keep being in this world and I can’t wait to see how Koei Tecmo continues to expand upon it.

Siliconera - Josh Tolentino - 8 / 10

Wild Hearts is a distinctive and entertaining take on the familiar monster-hunting formula, one that sets itself apart with gadget-focused building elements.

The Beta Network - Anthony Culinas - 8 / 10

Like the series it was inspired by, Wild Hearts takes players on a challenging series of nature-themed bosses with 8 intuitive weapon types, alongside a host of seamless gameplay and co-op features which help keep the combat front and centre.

The Games Machine - Francesco Alteri - Italian - 8 / 10

Wild Hearts is an innovative, interesting hunting game that explain the mass genocide committed by hunters. Net of a few camera defects and too many reskin, it is a solid game that brings a breath of fresh air to a genre that is a little too scared of Monster Hunter's shadow.

Twinfinite - Anna Koselke - 4 / 5

Despite some performance issues and awkward camera controls, I would recommend Wild Hearts not only to long-time fans of monster hunting but to players like me who never quite understood the hype before. Wild Hearts will make you understand as it made me understand. From its immersive world to its unique building system, this is one big release you will not want to miss out on.

Wccftech - Francesco De Meo - 8 / 10

Wild Hearts couldn't have been a better start for a new IP. While the experience shares more than a few similarities with that of the Monster Hunter series, the unique monster design, the great weapon variety and the Karakuri crafting mechanics give the game a unique flavor that makes it stand out easily among similar games. Performance issues, sadly, impact the experience considerably on all formats, preventing it from reaching greater heights, but even in its current state, the game is a more than worthy purchase for fans of the genre.

We Got This Covered - Jon Hueber - 4 / 5

Wild Hearts treads familiar ground as you hunt one monstrous beast after another, but Omega Force has added new tricks and gimmicks that help separate it from the games it draws inspiration from. At the end of the day, it proudly stands as a unique experience with its own identity.

GAMES.CH - Joel Kogler - German - 79%

Wild Hearts does not revolutionize the hunting game genre, but with as few competitors, that is hardly necessary. The building system both in and outside of combat adds enough variety and depth that the simpler weapons and streamlined crafting are welcome. Sadly, technical flaws, such as blurry visuals and horrendous pop-in keep this otherwise great game from making a play on Capcom's throne. It is a title, however that we're eager to see expanded upon and further developed in the already planned title updates and hopefully eventually in a sequel. As it stands, it's a fun alternative to Monster Hunter, but cannot live up to those games' polish and sheer endless depth of content.

Oyungezer Online - Sabri Erkan Sabanci - Turkish - 7.5 / 10

Wild Hearts is a real raw gem. It has all the ingredients to easily turn into a series that can challenge Monster Hunter. The only thing Koei Tecmo needs to do is polish it up a bit more, fill in the gaps and bring more content.

PSX Brasil - Bruno Henrique Vinhadel - Portuguese - 75 / 100

Technical issues affect both the performance and visual quality of Wild Hearts to a considerable degree. However, the visual style, the gameplay structure, the great use of Karakuri for hunting and exploration, as well as the very good co-op make it a fun and original title. If you have the patience to wait for updates and the technical problems to be resolved, it is certainly a great option in the hunting genre.

PlayStation LifeStyle - Paulmichael Contreras - 7.5 / 10

Wild Hearts seems to have the right ideas about what a modern monster-hunting game needs. If it could inject some of the flashier bits from their other games, then Omega Force would definitely have a fierce competitor on its hands in the monster hunting genre of games. Right now, it does of course stand in Capcom’s shadow, but suddenly this subgenre has started heating up. Competition breeds innovation, and it’s exciting to wonder what we’ll see next.

SECTOR.sk - Michal Korec - Slovak - 7.5 / 10

Wild Hearts is solid MonHun genre title and there are solid refreshing elements like Karakuri building system. Eigh weapons and four vast maps are enough for practicing skills but uneven difficulty and some bugs can be challenging. On the other hand, three player co-op is a welcome addition and preferred way of gameplay.

Spaziogames - Francesco Corica - Italian - 7.4 / 10

It may not be the "Monster Hunter killer" many people were waiting for, but Wild Hearts has some good ideas that would have just needed more time to reach their maximum potential.

Merlin'in Kazanı - Samet Basri Taşlı - Turkish - 72 / 100

Wild Hearts is a good monster hunting game that has successfully added its original ideas to the genre. But the terribly optimized PC version casts a huge shadow over everything the game does well.

Gameblog - KiKiToes - French - 7 / 10

Too bad, we were close to touching an absolutely huge title. However, if you skip the not-so-sexy packaging, Wild Hearts might just surprise you.

RPG Site - James Galizio - 7 / 10

Beyond its unacceptable technical issues, lies one of the most unique takes on the Hunting Action genre in years.

The Outerhaven Productions - Kyle Simcox - 3.5 / 5

Wilds Hearts is an incredibly fun monster hunting experience that's really only held back by its technical issues. Performance issues across the board on all platforms are what stop the otherwise faster paced and stylish action game from truly giving Monster Hunter a run for its money.

PC Gamer - Wes Fenlon - 63 / 100

Sublime combat can only do so much to carry a flawed building system, too few monsters and terrible performance.

Guardian - Tom Regan - 3 / 5

This wonderfully weird creature-hunter has an unending supply of memorably unhinged, massive foes; it may not be an all-timer but it's fun while you're fighting

VG247 - Dom Peppiatt - 3 / 5

Wild Hearts often feels like a game that doesn’t want to be played. It’s fussy, it’s janky, and it constantly trips itself up. An erratic gameplay loop, an absolute bastard of a camera, and some ill-conceived weapon gimmicks prevent Koei Tecmo and EA’s experimental hunting joint from ever really succeeding where its genre rivals have. It’s ironic that building is such a core part of this game: if this is the start of a series, Omega Force has laid down some important groundwork, but it needs to make some serious structural revisions from the foundations up if it ever wants to look eye-to-eye with Capcom’s imposing juggernaut.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 3 / 5

Wild Hearts is a solid enough first attempt at taking on the Monster Hunter crown, but its occasionally frustrating battles, its rather small number of monsters and the fidgety nature of its admittedly inventive gadget system mean you have to put up with a fair degree of irritation if you want to see it through.

Eurogamer - Matt Wales - Recommended

Far more than just a Monster Hunter clone, Wild Hearts exceeds expectations and then some, mixing streamlined action with inventive new toys.

Eurogamer.pt - Jorge Loureiro - Portuguese - No Recommendation

This is just a review in progress, but for now, Wild Hearts seems too close to Monster Hunter most of the time. The introduction of the Karakuri in the gameplay is an asset, but from the i played so far the feeling of déjà vu is constant. So far, it seems to me an inferior imitation and it still needs a few adjustments to be ready. The launch is already this week, february 16th, so let's see what the team can do until then.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - Buy

Considering this is a new IP, Wild Hearts is a surprisingly competent outing from EA Originals and Koei Tecmo, taking the rock-solid monster-hunting base and adding a unique twist that elevates the gameplay experience to great effect. The Karakuri add another layer of strategy, and while players can choose not to engage with them, utilizing them properly opens up a lot of hunting possibilities.

With games of this type, success is usually reliant on the amount and speed of post-launch updates it can offer players, and Wild Hearts is treading on thin ice with a fairly low number of Kemonos at launch. Still, the current roster is diverse and creatively designed, making them excellent adversaries in the field.

PCGamesN - Dave Irwin - Unscored

I’ve got plenty more to see of Wild Hearts before giving it a score, but as it stands I’m not relishing the task. Its frame rate issues and graphical glitches make this RPG game unplayable on PC, and it’s not just me; other colleagues within PCGamesN and PC reviewers across the internet have found the same thing. I’m desperately hoping that a day-one patch will fix these issues, because the game shows a lot of promise. While it may require a bit of relearning for some experienced hunters, there are plenty of fun new ideas that make hunting in Wild Hearts different enough. But in its current state, we can’t recommend picking it up.

Polygon - Diego Nicolás Argüello - Polygon Recommends

I can picture myself weeks from now, strolling among the creations, gadgets, and objects that my friends and I have left littered across our worlds, thinking back on these early days in Wild Hearts. These constructions are marks of solidarity in a game that could have been mere homage. Building in Wild Hearts isn’t just a mechanical conceit. It’s the pillar of its identity.

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - Unscored

Wild Hearts is a game made for a very specific audience and one that I’m not part of.

RPG Fan - Abraham Kobylanski - Unscored

Wild Hearts is shaping up to be another great monster-hunting title that suffers the most from obvious comparisons to the well-established Monster Hunter series. The developers have promised that DLC is on the way in the coming months with more kemono and karakuri, and it’s all going to be free with no paid updates in the plans (not yet, at least), so even after you’ve finished the base game, there’ll be more to bring you back to Azuma. It’s an impressive effort all around, with a world that continually beckons hunters to return for more. Gear up, for the hunt is on!

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Wild Hearts (EA/Koei Tecmo Monster Hunter-like title) - reviews from OpenCritic posted

Wild Hearts is Koei-Tecmo's new attempt to get in on that sweet monster hunting action and, while it's not perfect, there's lots to like. PCG's Wes Fenlon mostly enjoyed his time with the game, but a dearth of monsters and terrible issues with performance saw the game limp off with a 63% score.

I've been playing Wild Hearts and, yep, this thing runs badly and suffers from constant frame drops and stuttering. It's a sentiment shared by the wider community, with the game's Steam reviews currently sitting at mostly negative and summed up by this devastating one-liner from Katsummie: "The price is higher than the FPS you will be able to pull in this game."

The development team, Omega Force, has now acknowledged that the PC version is not in a good state, and claims it has identified the problem and a fix is due imminently:

"Omega Force are working continuously to improve performance and optimise the game for a wide variety of hardware specs across future updates. We have a patch coming next week that addresses a CPU bottleneck problem the team discovered; this should improve performance across mid-high end CPU's. The team are also actively working on DLSS and FSR support which will arrive in a future patch."

The statement adds that "this is a vitally important topic for us" which does tempt me to point out that it's quite vital for everyone who's paid sixty English pounds for a game that is at times borderline unplayable. Omega Force asks any players experiencing issues to submit a report, but it all rather feels like shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted: You don't get a second chance to make a first impression and, honestly, all Wild Hearts has done is make me think about reinstalling Monster Hunter: Rise.

• 6 months later...
INSIDER-GAMING.COM

EA is reportedly ending support for Wild Hearts just seven months after the game's launch, according to a moderator in the game's Discord.

EA is reportedly ending support for Wild Hearts just seven months after the game’s launch. The report comes via a post in both the game’s official Discord and on its subreddit from a moderator.

“What you think has happened to the game has unfortunately happened,” the moderator said. “In typical EA news, it seems like they did not want to sit on the game and give it the time and expected it to most likely be the next MH(Monster Hunter). Seems like it didn’t turn into the multi-million dollar big hit they wanted and don’t want to give it the love to grow.”

While servers are likely to stay online, players shouldn’t expect any sort of additional content, updates, or fixes moving forward. There is expected to be an official announcement made, according to the moderator.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Wild Hearts (EA/Koei Tecmo Monster Hunter-like title) - EA reportedly ending support just seven months after launch