My mom has breast cancer

CastlevaniaNut18

She called me Friday with the news she had found a lump and gone for a biopsy and the results today were as expected. It’s a ductal carcinoma and it seems they’ve caught it early, so I’m optimistic about the outcome. She sees a surgeon next Monday, so things are moving quickly. 

I know I’ve had a difficult relationship with my mom over the years, but hearing the word “cancer” is scary. I can’t imagine losing her. 

She seems to be handling it about as well as expected. Even if the prognosis is good, she’s facing losing a major part of her body and that’s a big deal. She’s also never had any surgery more major than two c-sections. 

I know it could be worse, but this really sucks. I haven’t slept well since Friday. 

• Like 5
  • Sad 6
  • Hugs 1

sorry to hear that. my mom had breast cancer years ago but it was caught early and things worked out okay. they did have her go through chemo which she said she hasn’t been the same since and wouldn’t go through it again. she’s not 60 yet so she probably would if something happened somewhat soon. but if she got to around 70 i believe her. 

Chemo prior to surgery, I'm going to guess that's to hopefully slow or halt further metastasizing prior to going under the knife then? As it would truly suck to go under only to be informed it's spread and/or not all was gotten. Chemo is a motherfucker, yet I have to echo the sentiment that others have already stated, going through this very well may just mend the bridges & break down the walls ... if not for anything else, you're doing the right thing as her son & that is immensely commendable.

Positive vibes sent your way & well wishes in my head & heart.

3 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

Chemo prior to surgery, I'm going to guess that's to hopefully slow or halt further metastasizing prior to going under the knife then? As it would truly suck to go under only to be informed it's spread and/or not all was gotten. Chemo is a motherfucker, yet I have to echo the sentiment that others have already stated, going through this very well may just mend the bridges & break down the walls ... if not for anything else, you're doing the right thing as her son & that is immensely commendable.

Positive vibes sent your way & well wishes in my head & heart.

Oncology isn’t my area, but apparently with this type of cancer, the recommendation is chemo prior to surgery. The tumor is kind of large and needs to be shrunk first. The surgeon said this type is very responsive to chemo, so that’s the good news. She’ll have to do 6 treatments, one every three weeks. She’s having a CT Friday can MRI Tuesday, and a port placed Wednesday. I’m just desperately hoping there’s no distant mets yet. The not knowing is the worst part. 

(Also, I’m her daughter.) 

Both my parents are nurses and that both helps, since we’re all apt to understand more, but it’s also hard that we do understand more. If that makes sense. 

• Thanks 1

Apologies for mischaracterization of your gender, truly just always thought ... it doesn't matter. However, that being said, please stay on top of your own health going forward for any potential signs so IF the worst happens, hopefully you'll have discovered it quickly as well. In terms of knowing more in the medical field, it is a duality in knowing more than most while also understanding the greater ramifications that lie within. Glad that the proverbial foot is on the gas pedal to get your mom through a lot of these preliminary tests quickly so treatment can begin that much sooner. Furthermore, so long as all things work out for the best, then she'll be entering 2023 ready to be done with the unenviable task of chemo, get the bastard cells not staying in their lane by a well trained surgeon, & all can be done aesthetically speaking by this time next year! Have some mai tais on a beach, cheers to a job well done & a loving relationship rekindled & mended!!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been constantly anxious for the last week, but some good news at last. Her CT and MRI came back negative. No evidence of metastasis and it’s not attached to the chest wall. The not knowing the extent was killing me. I feel some relief now. Still gonna be a long road, but knowing it was caught early is good news in the big picture. She got her port placed today and chemo will start soon. 

• Like 2
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 3

• 4 weeks later...

I had a few days off and I came up to visit. My dad has been taking her to chemo but he had work last night and tonight, so I’m with her. Cold up in this place. But she gets a comfy recliner and she brought a blanket. And books. I’ll probably go out shopping in a bit since this is gonna last well into the afternoon. 

This is her 4th round and she seems to be doing pretty well so far. Side effects have been pretty minor. Her hair has started falling out really fast, so she’s bummed about that. It was expected of course, but it doesn’t make it any easier. 

I’m just glad I can be here for her some. 

• Like 4
  • Halal 2
  • Hugs 4