If you've noticed some shoddy VFX in Marvel's latest offerings

I...actually haven't noticed much in the way of shitty effects in anything Marvel in the final product. A lot of bitching about trailers, but trailers are never final and often have fake scenes in them. Black Widow did have a few comp issues, but I chalked that up to early COVID days. Actually, Eternals had a few weird comping issues as well. I wonder if these visual effects studios aren't giving their comp teams enough time to actually do good work or if stuff is getting changed last minute and it's just being tossed over to compositing to just figure out how to make the new stuff work. I say this because the actually CG elements have been as strong as they've ever been.

I knew the Corridor guys spoke a little bit about this somewhat recently.

1 hour ago, Bacon said:

I'm over Mahvel. If it wasn't for the boys getting the band back together in spiderman then I wouldn't have seen even that. Endgame was basically the end. 

This is mostly where I am. And Spiderman was the last marvel movie I watched, as well. 

For me the biggest drop in quality has been their over-reliance on deciding the scene in post. Instead of relying on the on-set lighting, they are just flat-lighting everything and then deciding later where light sources are, the background, etc. This leads to noticeable difference in background vs characters and makes everything look boring. The solution is to have a lot of that figured out ahead of time and prepare for it, but that's not how they are doing it right now. 

• Halal 4

• 3 weeks later...

More news on this, and explains the obvious and poor CGI third act endings of MCU films - Black Panther is specifically called out. And the lack of the main director of photography for VFX scenes and shots in post production. It sounds rough. 

l-intro-1658871196.jpg
WWW.SLASHFILM.COM

Why do major blockbuster effects look so shaky? And why are so many VFX artists overworked and miserable? Here's the answer.

What is described in that article isn't unique to VFX Artists or Marvel... they have a term "Pixel Fuckers" we have one as well "Frame Fuckers."  I've experiened similar indecision as well as an editor This is an industry wide issue and has been for some time. Directors and producers who don't fully understand or appreciate the post process. VFX artists are fucked because they don't have a union.

• Halal 1

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

What is described in that article isn't unique to VFX Artists or Marvel... they have a term "Pixel Fuckers" we have one as well "Frame Fuckers."  I've experiened similar indecision as well as an editor This is an industry wide issue and has been for some time. Directors and producers who don't fully understand or appreciate the post process. VFX artists are fucked because they don't have a union.

What they need to do is unionize en masse. @sblfilms has the right idea. There are so many people coming into the field and so much outsourced talent available in India and the Southeast Asia, the likes of Disney and WB probably feel they have the flexibility to squash union talk and treat the field like shit. What are they going to do? Get into videogames? That industry is even worse.

IATSE or clearly something like it is the answer. If the director and cinematographer aren't even there during post production where shots are being chosen so random VFX guys are making the decisions, well, the cinematography disparity between real scenes and CG is even more explainable. This also explains why the cinematographer on Avatar was nominated for an oscar despite all the CG, because he was there during all of post production doing the cinematography for the VFX scenes. It makes all the difference. 

44 minutes ago, johnny said:

i feel vindicated for my complaining about moon knight 

I don't think CG matters since most of it will become dated in time (as an overall principle), it's all about the composition and matte-ing of the scene, and this clearly extends far beyond Moon Knight. Black Panther is mentioned in the article, which is long before Moon Knight. No stunt Oscar and VFX artists and other under the line behind the scenes staff and crew are always getting screwed.

Even writers as famous as Derek Kolstad (John Wick) and Chris Morgan (Fast and Furious) are getting fired from their franchise brand writing positions.

15 minutes ago, Greatoneshere said:

I don't think CG matters since most of it will become dated in time (as an overall principle), it's all about the composition and matte-ing of the scene, and this clearly extends far beyond Moon Knight. Black Panther is mentioned in the article, which is long before Moon Knight. No stunt Oscar and VFX artists and other under the line behind the scenes staff and crew are always getting screwed.

Even writers as famous as Derek Kolstad (John Wick) and Chris Morgan (Fast and Furious) are getting fired from their franchise brand writing positions.

didn't read the article but the CG for that final battle on the train tracks did suck....was on par with some of the CG in Blade 2. (super rubber/bendy people)

• True 1

32 minutes ago, EternallDarkness said:

didn't read the article but the CG for that final battle on the train tracks did suck....was on par with some of the CG in Blade 2. (super rubber/bendy people)

That scene single handedly brought Black Panther down from a "Pretty Good" rating to "Mediocre Marvel" for me.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

• 4 weeks later...