New Xenoblade 3 Chronicles Direct announced for June 22

Brian

56 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Yep, that's a bit to anime for my tastes. Even XBC2 was over the line. Needs to be dialed back to how the first game was. 

Looks like a normal sci-fi adventure game and not anime at all. If anything it's taking a lot from Blade Runner  and The Matrix / Asura's Wrath. Heck the big booby characters everyone had an issue with are gone and everyone looks regular.

• Halal 1

20 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

If anything it's taking a lot from Blade Runner

Heck the big booby characters everyone had an issue with

Ah, yes, I forgot about the people morphing together and turning into a purple robot. 

And lol, I did not have an issue with big ol anime tits. 

3 hours ago, best3444 said:

I'm definitely not getting this after watching the newest trailer. It's not my type of game and it looks very strange. I know nothing about the franchise and those looking forward to it more power to you. 

:cheers:

You definitely shouldn't start this series with 3 anyways.  1 is by far the most approachable, and you'd get more out of 2 (and likely 3) by playing it first.

EDIT: I remember, you dug DQXI.  It might feel a little jarring if you preferred the classic turn-based format in DQXI, but it works out much better than that game's half-baked "free-roam" mode.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm definitely not getting this after watching the newest trailer. It's not my type of game and it looks very strange. I know nothing about the franchise and those looking forward to it more power to you. 

:cheers:

What if I told you XC2 had the best looking clouds (except for maybe Flight Sim) in gaming and you could also interact with them?

• Shocked 1

• 2 weeks later...

... Still, I can tell you some of the pertinent stuff. If you're a returning fan, know this: Xenoblade Chronicles 3 takes the best bits of the preceding games, folding in a fascinating evolution of Xenoblade Chronicles 2's broad and brilliant combat, the more defined fantasy of the original (and ditching some of the more embarrassing anime excesses) and some of the more open-ended elements of Xenoblade Chronicles X (though sadly I can't really go into any detail on them just yet).

Perhaps most importantly, it's technically far more impressive than the clearly compromised Xenoblade Chronicles 2. That was a launch year title for the Switch way back at the tail-end of 2017, of course, and in Xenoblade Chronicles 3 you can feel the five years of progress and familiarity that Monolith Soft have built up with the hardware - this looks simply sublime playing either handheld or docked, with the impossible vistas of the world of Aionios stretching to the distance (it bodes well for Breath of the Wild 2, too, with Monolith Soft's epic topography so key to the success of Zelda's open world outings). It's seriously impressive stuff, and Digital Foundry will have a deeper dive on the details closer to launch.

https://www.eurogamer.net/after-10-hours-i-think-im-nearing-the-end-of-xenoblade-chronicles-3s-tutorial

I have this bought and paid for and I am going in very blind also like some of you here. I'm a bit worried about the "so-called" 3 expansions already planned through 2023. These games are known for there sprawling landscapes and deep story lines. This game should be a minimum 150 hours and to someone that likes to do all quests in these games over 200 if it's anything like XBC1&2. Fingers crossed this game is like that too, though overly inflated isn't good either. I do not want this games story broken up like FF7 remakes are and going in as blind as I am I have no idea if it's a true 3rd game in the series. I'm getting it anyway, but I really hope this is fantastic in every way.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Paperclyp said:

Always been intrigued by this series but too big of an ask for me to get into it now.

I wouldn't recommend anyone power through these games to jump on the bandwagon for a sequel, if that's what you mean.  If it's just the prospect of playing long JRPGs these days, even just one, you can also avoid.

That said, Xenoblade 1's greatest barrier to entry (Wii visuals) is now gone with the remake.  If you're curious about the series at all, that's the easy recommendation.  It's still the one to play.  There's no dangling threads if you finish it either, it's as self contained as FF.

Later entries (2 and Torna) improved combat and quest structures a bit, but the original still has more endearing characters and better pacing. 

I really hope the combat doesn't suck shit on this one. XC1 had some of the worst pseudo-MMO combat I've played in a high-profile JRPG, and while XCX and XC2 were better and better, they still never felt like Monolith found their footing and made something special. I think the Torna DLC was their best combat to date, so at least there's a consistent trend of improvement. I just wish it was improving a little faster.

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I really hope the combat doesn't suck shit on this one. XC1 had some of the worst pseudo-MMO combat I've played in a high-profile JRPG, and while XCX and XC2 were better and better, they still never felt like Monolith found their footing and made something special. I think the Torna DLC was their best combat to date, so at least there's a consistent trend of improvement. I just wish it was improving a little faster.

I know we disagree on combat in the first, we’re on the same page that Torna was the apex.

But X’s combat was worse than 1.  It still has the horizontal arts selection system you hate.  Skell combat is slow as molasses.  Unique character abilities became homogenized and more generic.  Synergy between party members is based on picking corresponding colored arts following the AI’s lead.

Those are big reasons why I never finished it.  I particularly couldn’t stand the skell combat by the final zone.