Ignore everyone else, here's the best not-E3 presentation...

Ghost_MH

Have some fun. These games from today's direct look great...

This is a fluffy looking farming sim...

It's this a bird dating sim music game?

Serious Night in the Woods vibes here...

Since nobody else is making new Tetris Attack/Panel de Pin...

Yes, I have a soft spot for chill farming sims...

This is quite pretty...

This sort of reminds me of Monument Valley...

This sequel looks good and I remember liking the original...

I've seen it before, but this game still looks great...

I have no idea what this game is about, but the trailer is adorable...

Also not sure what to expect it of this one, but it has me intrigued...

This is a fun looking platformer where you can only hop around shadows...

I've seen this one before and it still looks like Howl's Moving Castle the Game...

I don't know if this will be fun or frustrating. A collection of mini-games and puzzles where your progress is sometimes ruined but you cat...

Cute Minecraft farming sim? Maybe...

City building sim, but you're in the back of a beast you must keep happy...

I've seen this one as well, but it still looks like it'll be fun...

I skipped like half the games they showed off, but there should be something for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Well, they've got you covered for white guys with brown hair...

2 Animal Crossing games and a microphone 

Yeah gotta pass. I want an RPG with some kind of non-card based or non-rts gameplay. 

• Halal 2

19 minutes ago, Bacon said:

2 Animal Crossing games and a microphone 

Yeah gotta pass. I want an RPG with some kind of non-card based or non-rts gameplay. 

WHOLESOME Direct. There isn't much killing in any of these games. The closest you'll get to what you're looking for is something like this.

These games are specifically chill and relaxing. Not every game has to be murder or genocide simulator.

• Halal 1

29 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I truly appreciate that gaming is widening its audience all the time but none of these do anything for me. 

Same for me. Always need some gaming suggestions because I’m in a pretty bad drought. But none of these interest me. 

2 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Both can happen

That's a farming sim by Level 5. That's a high bar for most indies. Still, most of the games on the Wholesome Direct are very specifically not combat focused. You're mostly going to find puzzle games, farming and city building  sims, along with point and click adventure games and the odd visual novel.

You all need more whimsy in your life. Be a skateboarding bird...

Or maybe Ooblets will eventually come out of early access...

Terraform a planet...

Deliver mail in an old school 3D platformer...

Or go for a walk with grandma...

3 hours ago, stepee said:

There’s a handful of games here I’m interested in for sure. That Night In the Woods clone game looks great but it’s such a blatant rip that it feels weird unless somehow the teams are connected.

It's not like we'll ever get another Night in the Woods style game from that team anymore. They sort of fell apart after a bunch of women came out with gross stories about that game's lead before he ultimately killed himself, so...

Also, I don't know where I was when this game's trailer aired, but it looks so good. It's lo-fi Rhythm Heaven with a level editor...

15 minutes ago, Bacon said:

You say that like the video didn't make that clear

:duckhuntdog: 

Actually, no.  Videos of Skatebird don’t adequately communicate just how bad it feels to play.

It’s a revelation to pick up the controls for the first time.  It’s downright offensive.

• Haha 2

42 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

It's on game pass so you could play it yourself and form your own opinion if you want. :peace:

I didn't realize this was on Gamepass. Seems fairly inoffensive. Definitely not Tony Hawk, but it seems it feels like it's not really trying to be. It's not Tony Hawk-lite. Anyone that's been playing Tony Hawk for any good chunk of their life should probably stay away. I can see why the feel of the game would annoy any Tony Hawk fans. It's eh, to me. Not terrible and I'm sure I can get used to the controls and feel just fine. I don't think they're broken, just different. I already managed to get used to linking some tricks together and flapping my wings to get some extra height to prevent a crash when I fly off somewhere unexpectedly high. Unfortunately for it, there are plenty of better games out there. Also, I own the Tony Hawk remakes on EGS. I think I'd rather try to relearn those games that I haven't played since the PS1 days. The cuteness of the birds isn't enough for me.

• Thanks 1

I'm all for extreme sports games that don't try to ape Tony Hawk.  There's many that don't and are still good.  Skatebird is not one of them.

The problem isn't there's better games out there.  It's that even if Skatebird was the first to come up with its type of gameplay, it would still be trash.  It's janky in a genre that demands fluidity.  It's as if the developers felt no pressure to make it fun to play, and stopped iterating on the controls once they were semi-functional.

13 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm all for extreme sports games that don't try to ape Tony Hawk.  There's many that don't and are still good.  Skatebird is not one of them.

The problem isn't there's better games out there.  It's that even if Skatebird was the first to come up with its type of gameplay, it would still be trash.

This is all subjective. I don't really think the game is worth my time, even within the genre, but I also didn't think the controls were some broken hurdle that was impossible to get passed. Maybe they've improved the physics a bit in the year the game has been out? It's a what, 59 on Opencritic? Yeah, if I had to rate my hour with it, 6/10 sounds about right. Just above average. Not broken, and very cute, but also boring. I don't care what a game brings to the table, but boring can't be one of them and if a game can't not be boring in its first hour, I just don't have the time for it. It's got a ridiculous 85% on Steam, so maybe it gets better with future levels and objectives, but I just don't have time for that.

One of my favorite gaming experiences of all time is about stamping passports. Boring has no place in any game genre, especially not in the introductory first hour.

39 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

This is all subjective. I don't really think the game is worth my time, even within the genre, but I also didn't think the controls were some broken hurdle that was impossible to get passed. Maybe they've improved the physics a bit in the year the game has been out? It's a what, 59 on Opencritic? Yeah, if I had to rate my hour with it, 6/10 sounds about right. Just above average. Not broken, and very cute, but also boring. I don't care what a game brings to the table, but boring can't be one of them and if a game can't not be boring in its first hour, I just don't have the time for it. It's got a ridiculous 85% on Steam, so maybe it gets better with future levels and objectives, but I just don't have time for that.

The controls are serviceable at best, and I mean that literally.  You can steer.  You can attempt the things you want.  It doesn't feel good, but it's not like you can't try to work with the basics.

But man, the camera is jarringly bad.  Grinding on anything feels jank.  Animations are unpolished.  Collisions kill all momentum.  Landing tricks lack impact.  The physics actively get in the way the of having fun.  The flapping mechanic actually hurts the game more than helps: you flail in effort to make it fun, when you really can't.

It's a far below average for the genre, IMO.  I think there's enough objectively wrong about it to say that.

12 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

It's not like we'll ever get another Night in the Woods style game from that team anymore. They sort of fell apart after a bunch of women came out with gross stories about that game's lead before he ultimately killed himself, so...

Also, I don't know where I was when this game's trailer aired, but it looks so good. It's lo-fi Rhythm Heaven with a level editor...

I believe it was one woman, just fyi. Just Quinn. Still enough to justify his firing, but it wasn't a "bunch".

I've been watching Terra Nil for a while now!

capsule_616x353.jpg?t=1636561201
STORE.STEAMPOWERED.COM

Terra Nil is a reverse city builder about ecosystem reconstruction. Turn a barren wasteland into an ecological paradise complete with different flora and fauna. Then clean up, leaving the environment pristine. Subverting the builder genre, Terra Nil is about the restoration of a ravaged environment.

33 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Lovebird looks hilarious :lol:

There's a free demo up on itch.io.

Ey73Q7.png
ONETUPTHREE.ITCH.IO

Our rhythmic twist on a bird dating game

It's fun in a hectic sort of way. It's a simple dating sim where you answer questions to make your date go smoothly, but talking is a rhythm game and if you mess up you get tongue tied and often insult your date. A flamingo tried flirting with me and I accidently told them I like 'em chunky, just like them. Oops.