What's your take on the Amber Heard-Johnny Depp case?

Fizzzzle

40 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For the record, on supposedly ultra-"woke" ResetERA (thread is now 104 pages), the overall sentiment appears to be very much pro-Depp.

Pretty much all I see is Pro-Depp from men and women IRL. I only know of one person who is Pro-Heard. Online is much the same for me. Of course, I'm only hang out in "gamer" circles and we all know what the opinions are there. And Pro-Depp is also the loudest by far but I'm not saying that's a good thing. The loudest are always the most obnoxious. One the latest "The Philip DeFranco Show" the comments are, seemingly, Pro-Depp. 

Of course, being publicly Pro-Heard is also met with far more negativity and harassment so others may not wish to speak out. That's not to say people aren't speaking out, but I have to search for their side while Pro-Depp is shoved in my face. Which, to be fair, is of my own doing due to the people I follow and subscribe to on social media. 

I'm not normally one to "both sides" things, but they both have histories of abuse. She punched an ex girlfriend in public, and I firmly believe that if someone does shit like that in public, you can imagine what they do when they know no one is looking. Someone can be both an abuser and a victim, it's what we call a "relationshit."

This case shouldn't be held as an example of anything. It doesn't mean we should start or stop believing abuse victims. Neither of these people should be a hill you want to die on. Going out of your way to defend either one makes you sound like a douche tbh.

I will say it does count for something that Depp's exes have pretty much all come out in support of him, which counts for something. It doesn't necessarily mean he's innocent. My ex girlfriend punched me on 2 different occasions, that doesn't mean I think she was an abuser, but that also doesn't mean she didn't do what she did.

Point being, relationships are complicated, and this seems like a case where trying to say one person is a good guy and one is a bad guy doesn't really work, and we certainly shouldn't be using this out of touch celebrity relationshit to say "SEE?! SEE?!" In any capacity.

1 hour ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For the record, on supposedly ultra-"woke" ResetERA (thread is now 104 pages), the overall sentiment appears to be very much pro-Depp.

I find it telling that a generally male, generally online group of gamers has sided with a man in a domestic re litigation of something that has already found that Heard’s claims of Depp’s violence are not defamation.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I'm not normally one to "both sides" things, but they both have histories of abuse. She punched an ex girlfriend in public, and I firmly believe that if someone does shit like that in public, you can imagine what they do when they know no one is looking. Someone can be both an abuser and a victim, it's what we call a "relationshit."

Again, no

Van Ree, however, says Heard was "wrongfully" accused and the incident was blown out of proportion. In a statement issued by Heard's publicist Wednesday, van Ree said two cops "misinterpreted and over-sensationalized" the incident.

"I (recall) hints of misogynistic attitudes toward us which later appeared to be homophobic when they found out we were domestic partners and not just 'friends,' " the statement said. "It's disheartening that Amber's integrity and story are being questioned yet again. Amber is a brilliant, honest and beautiful woman and I have the utmost respect for her. We shared 5 wonderful years together and remain close to this day.”

6 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

I will say it does count for something that Depp's exes have pretty much all come out in support of him, which counts for something.

The nature of domestic violence means that the statements about character from friends, relatives, etc., should count for nothing unless they were a direct witness of events or a victim of the same person themselves. It doesn’t matter if Depp never assaulted any romantic partner other than Heard; not every abusive person abuses everyone they date.

• Halal 1

I don't think I've seen a single post supporting Heard all this time. That includes quite a few female friends who definitely aren't conservative.

I don't know. I haven't paid any real attention to any of this, so I don't know nearly enough to have an opinion. I generally don't follow the personal lives of celebrities, even actors I actually like.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

I find it telling that a generally male, generally online group of gamers has sided with a man in a domestic re litigation of something that has already found that Heard’s claims of Depp’s violence are not defamation.

Again, no

The nature of domestic violence means that the statements about character from friends, relatives, etc., should count for nothing unless they were a direct witness of events or a victim of the same person themselves. It doesn’t matter if Depp never assaulted any romantic partner other than Heard; not every abusive person abuses everyone they date.

You are dismissing the statements of both of their exes. And/or saying the witnesses of Heard's abuse don't count, while also saying that the witnesses saying Johnny *isn't* abusive also don't count. The only statements that count are the ones that fit your narrative.

I have no agenda in this.

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

You are dismissing the statements of both of their exes. And/or saying the witnesses of Heard's abuse don't count, while also saying that the witnesses saying Johnny *isn't* abusive also don't count. The only statements that count are the ones that fit your narrative.

No.

I do believe Depp's exes when they say he was not abusive towards them; that simply has no bearing on whether or not Depp abused Heard. To wit, when this was litigated in the UK, incidents in which Depp was violent towards other people (none of them exes, if I recall correctly), were not considered to have any impact on the defamation suit against Heard. And they shouldn't. Domestic violence is often NOT public by nature, and a legion of former partner's of Depp's saying he never abused them has no bearing on whether he abused Heard. If I punched my wife today, you could ask everyone I've dated in the last 25+ years if I was abusive and they could honestly say no; it just does not matter.

I also believe Heard's ex when she said the situation was overblown.

So no, I'm not cherry picking things to pick my narrative.

I give absolutely no shits about Depp or Heard specifically as people, I DO care about the press, courts, and social media being weaponized to silence victims of domestic abuse. We have every reason to believe that is exactly what is happening here. I'd be much less inclined to think this if, you know, this wasn't already discussed and decided in a foreign court.

3 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Note that she does not claim that Heard did not hit her.

She also does not say that Heard did. Heard was not prosecuted, the issue was not litigated, I have no evidence from which to draw a conclusion. Gun to my head, I'd say that the timing of that the incident between Heard and her ex being made public coinciding with the first defamation case in the UK I've mentioned smells fishy.

13 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

No.

I do believe Depp's exes when they say he was not abusive towards them; that simply has no bearing on whether or not Depp abused Heard. To wit, when this was litigated in the UK, incidents in which Depp was violent towards other people (none of them exes, if I recall correctly), were not considered to have any impact on the defamation suit against Heard. And they shouldn't. Domestic violence is often NOT public by nature, and a legion of former partner's of Depp's saying he never abused them has no bearing on whether he abused Heard. If I punched my wife today, you could ask everyone I've dated in the last 25+ years if I was abusive and they could honestly say no; it just does not matter.

I also believe Heard's ex when she said the situation was overblown.

So no, I'm not cherry picking things to pick my narrative.

I give absolutely no shits about Depp or Heard specifically as people, I DO care about the press, courts, and social media being weaponized to silence victims of domestic abuse. We have every reason to believe that is exactly what is happening here. I'd be much less inclined to think this if, you know, this wasn't already discussed and decided in a foreign court.

She also does not say that Heard did. Heard was not prosecuted, the issue was not litigated, I have no evidence from which to draw a conclusion. Gun to my head, I'd say that the timing of that the incident between Heard and her ex being made public coinciding with the first defamation case in the UK I've mentioned smells fishy.

So you believe everyone and I kind of don't believe anyone? Seems like we arrive at the same destination. 

I do believe there is an over correction happening in the cultural narrative. I also think that was bound to happen.

So you believe everyone and I kind of don't believe anyone?

No, that's not what I'm saying. I don't know how I could be more clear than I was above.

I do believe there is an over correction happening in the cultural narrative. I also think that was bound to happen.

I don't know what you mean by this.

24 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

She also does not say that Heard did. 

Other people who saw it said she did. Choosing not to prosecute minor DV cases is the rule, not the exception!

Honestly, I feel like you may be trying to counter the weight of the imbalanced coverage here a bit too much and ignoring that these seem to be two people who both contributed to a completely toxic relationship even if the contributions to the toxicity were also unequal.

27 minutes ago, Kal-El814 said:

I give absolutely no shits about Depp or Heard specifically as people, I DO care about the press, courts, and social media being weaponized to silence victims of domestic abuse. We have every reason to believe that is exactly what is happening here.

But the people who believe Depp is the real victim of domestic abuse in this case are also saying that this is exactly what isn't happening because Depp is speaking out. While of course there are people looking at this like a win against fake disputes, there are others who see Heard as someone who tried to silence Depp. If you see Depp as the victim you see this as justice. If you see Heard as the victim you see this as a failure of the system and victims are again being attacked for speaking out. 

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

Other people who saw it said she did. Choosing not to prosecute minor DV cases is the rule, not the exception!

I'd only read two articles about it (one beyond the one I'd linked to before) and neither mentioned other witnesses that I can recall.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Honestly, I feel like you may be trying to counter the weight of the imbalanced coverage here a bit too much and ignoring that these seem to be two people who both contributed to a completely toxic relationship even if the contributions yo the toxicity were also unequal.

That's entirely fair and possible. It's difficult for me to think that there's "equal footing" in a relationship where one of the people involved is one of the most recognizable, popular, and powerful men in Hollywood and the other is Amber Heard. Even saying something like they both contributed to a toxic relationship rubs me the wrong way given the power imbalances in play and the ongoing attempt at dragging Heard through the American legal system after failing to successfully sue British tabloids.

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

But the people who believe Depp is the real victim of domestic abuse in this case are also saying that this is exactly what isn't happening because Depp is speaking out. While of course there are people looking at this like a win against fake disputes, there are others who see Heard as someone who tried to silence Depp. If you see Depp as the victim you see this as justice. If you see Heard as the victim you see this as a failure of the system and victims are again being attacked for speaking the truth. 

Again, this went through foreign courts that concluded that the statements made by the Sun characterizing Depp as an abuser were not libelous. And assuming I've understood things correctly, the odds of succeeding on a libel claim in the UK (or England, whatever, I dunno offhand how the timing of Brexit impacts this :p ) are better than they are in the US.

There's nothing that I've seen on this that suggests that Depp is the real victim. Who knows how the US case will turn out of course, but again, Depp sued the press about claims of abuse in the UK, lost, appealed, and lost.

Anyone seeing this as Heard trying to "silence Depp" doesn't have their head screwed on straight.

1 hour ago, Kal-El814 said:

Again, this went through foreign courts that concluded that the statements made by the Sun characterizing Depp as an abuser were not libelous. And assuming I've understood things correctly, the odds of succeeding on a libel claim in the UK (or England, whatever, I dunno offhand how the timing of Brexit impacts this :p ) are better than they are in the US.

There's nothing that I've seen on this that suggests that Depp is the real victim. Who knows how the US case will turn out of course, but again, Depp sued the press about claims of abuse in the UK, lost, appealed, and lost.

Well, people are clearly ignoring the actual reason for the trial. I mean, pretty much no way he wins what he is actually suing for. I just don't see it happening. But the people's trial has already been decided and Johnny won for better or for worse. 

• True 1

9 hours ago, Rachel said:

I love Nutella but I kinda get it because like. I love chocolate and peanut butter but I hate Reese’s pieces. Tastes like crap. Same with the cups. 

I could live off of Reese's. Their pieces, their cups, their ice cream, their cereal. All of it. 

• True 1

I, for one, am SHOCKED that so much of the pro-Depp / anti-Heard stuff online is funded by Ben Shapiro. Shocked, I tell you.

1652995125313-ap22136546673730.jpeg?imag
WWW.VICE.COM

The conservative media outlet ran Facebook and Instagram ads for stories backing Johnny Depp, an investigation by media non-profit the Citizens for VICE World News found.

23 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

I, for one, am SHOCKED that so much of the pro-Depp / anti-Heard stuff online is funded by Ben Shapiro. Shocked, I tell you.

1652995125313-ap22136546673730.jpeg?imag
WWW.VICE.COM

The conservative media outlet ran Facebook and Instagram ads for stories backing Johnny Depp, an investigation by media non-profit the Citizens for VICE World News found.

under $50k in promoted posts is…not a lot. 

• 2 weeks later...