How has your day been going?

Chris-

Mine has been lovely. Woke up, made some coffee, and read The Body Scout while listening to the ChilledCow YouTube. Then I played some Elden Ring while my wife made breakfast (orange chocolate chip ricotta pancakes and sausage); washed the dishes and cleaned the kitchen afterwards. Read some news, then showered and ran errands (pharmacy, dispensary, mail room of our building to get packages). Found out that my real wedding ring came (I had been wearing a cheap silver ring we got at a surf shop in San Diego during our elopement) so that was fun, then I had a beer (Nugget Nectar), had some leftover pizza for lunch (Aldi take and bake), and have been watching the Pens game. Hard to beat that.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, TheLeon said:

I know I’ve said it before, but whenever you make a thread like this, it seems like bragging to me. Which is maybe indicative of how things are going for me. 

I've had some bad days too recently, today just happened to be a nice one. So it goes.

One of my local city councilmembers moderates a Facebook group where he routinely interacts in his capacity as a city councilmember and where myself and a bunch of other people I know are banned for wrongthink. Plus at least one person I know is blocked by this councilmember on Facebook altogether. Eagerly awaiting seeing what comes of a complaint I sent to the city attorney about this on Thursday.

• Like 1

Had to get up early to go with the fam to our oldest child’s debate competition, then had lunch with the other students and their families, back to the house where I put MLB.tv on and hate watched Carlos Correa’s Twins blow a 3-2 lead in the 9th inning, now I’ve got the Yankees/Red Sox game on and will probably doze off for a brief nap before I need to be awake again during our business hours at the theaters especially with a busy night expected from Sonic 2.

Pretty good so far 😊

My day's going great so far; I'm perpetually running a sleep deficit because I'm 1) a nightowl working an 8-5 IT job that's 30 minutes away and 2) a 37 year old man-child who hates going to sleep when he should. :p So to make up for my workweek deficit, today I slept in until nearly 11 (went to bed at 1:30 am) and it was glorious.

Showered, ate breakfast/lunch, and took my dog for an hour's walk and now I'm going to start studying for my OCP exam for most of the rest of the day. My goal is to take the exam within two months so I can get my first programming job. 

• Like 2

Woke up, made some buttermilk biscuits, eggs and bacon sandwiches for breakfast, watched a terrible United lose to a team facing regulation, went to Asbury Park for some beach and boardwalk fun, got some falafel and donuts for lunch, drove the coastline on the way home, got some ice cream, and hit a scenic view spot to see the NYC skyline. Probably gonna get some sushi for dinner, drink a local NEIPA, and watch a movie. It has been a good day for sure. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Woke up, made some buttermilk biscuits, eggs and bacon sandwiches for breakfast, watched a terrible United lose to a team facing regulation, went to Asbury Park for some beach and boardwalk fun, got some falafel and donuts for lunch, drove the coastline on the way home, got some ice cream, and hit a scenic view spot to see the NYC skyline. Probably gonna get some sushi for dinner, drink a local NEIPA, and watch a movie. It has been a good day for sure. 

Sounds great.

• Thanks 1

I basically live at the bar I work at fri-sun, so right now i feel like a zombie. I'll feel right as rain come Monday, though.

Also I've been watching Grimm because I've been a little homesick. That show is actually really good for the first couple seasons. Somewhere in season 3 they clearly started to have no idea what they wanted to do. That's a problem with escalation of conflict. The stakes can't keep raising perpetually before eventually you're skydiving cars out of planes (and yes I'm using that moment from Fast and Furious as the new 'jump the shark' moment)

Came back to the Isle of Man for a stag party, so I spent last night seeing all my school friends which was ace. Now at my parents and my wife is baking cup cakes with my daughter and niece, I’ve done a few jobs on our farm and feel horribly hungover - but very, very content.

Edit: At home found a video of my parents 25th wedding anniversary. Always nice to hear my grandads voice nearly 20 years since he died. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

When you posted that picture of yourself it looked like you lost a lot of weight!

I am down about 60 pounds since my heaviest 😊

Made some waffles with a blueberry and peach compote and whipped cream, played some games, went to a farm and watched my daughter ride horses, feed animals, tractor rides, and pet baby animals, hit up a cool country kitchen where we ate burgers and played Candyland, later at home made cookies and ate them with some ice cream. #wholesomefun

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Outdated black and white medical opinion that isn’t fully accurate and assumes that correlation = causation. New research shows that behaviors are what matters first and foremost, not body mass. 

Even in 2022 it remains one of the most regularly cited journal articles on the subject. The only sense in which it is outdated is that we have even better understanding of the mechanisms at play.

Due to my fairly rare form of diabetes (MODY), I’ve had to become a lay expert in the area of diabetes and do now even volunteer diabetes education for diabetic seniors.

The number one thing that alleviates their problems (if type 2) is weight loss.

My own story is pretty simple illustration of this: I weighed 260 and had to take insulin for 20 years. I lost 60 pounds and no longer have to take insulin. I didn’t even change what I eat, I just eat proper portion sizes now. My blood pressure also improved substantially just by dropping some weight.

Here is a journal article from 2020, not even a full 2 years ago, which builds on the work from the 2000 article I previously shared and goes deeper into what exactly is occurring in your body when you are obese

pmc-logo-share.png?_=0
WWW.NCBI.NLM.NIH.GOV

Obesity is a triggering factor for diabetes associated with insulin resistance. In individuals who are obese, higher amounts of non-esterified fatty acids, glycerol, hormones, and pro-inflammatory...

3 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Again, new research is showing that it’s the behaviors and not the body size. Doctors are learning and changing their approach. Yes many doctors still cite and believe these articles but that doesn’t change what I said either. 

Maybe it wasn’t your body size that got you off insulin but your behaviors instead. Just saying. Lot’s of people get off insulin and even go into diabetic “remission” without making their body smaller and are still considered “obese”.

What research has come out since September of 2020 that overturned the research linked in either article posted? What do this new research specifically argue is causing insulin resistance? What are your sources for these claims?

And I changed literally nothing about my life besides I eat smaller portion sizes, which caused me to lose weight, which alleviated my insulin resistance. My pancreas doesn’t make as much insulin as a healthy pancreas, but it’s production is just enough that fixing my insulin resistance problem with weight loss was enough to move my a1c back to sub 5.7

And that story is not remotely unique!

1 minute ago, Rachel said:

The example I shared isn’t unique either!

Also just to clarify, I am not making any claims or even speculation about what the cause of insulin resistance is.

Just commenting that there’s a lot more nuance to the black and white advice that comes with intentional weight loss and diabetes. That’s great that it didn’t seem like a big thing in your life but for many people it can be both psychologically and physically harmful to handle things and treat patients that way. Many doctors and dietitians are moving towards a more nuanced approach that is more sustainable in treating diabetes in the long run and not contributing to disordered eating which is also common in the diabetic community. 

So you just made up that obesity is not a causal factor in insulin resistance? That is disappointing :(