Woman (26) in Texas charged with murder after self-induced abortion

A little off topic, but I just read an article the other day that one of the main supporters of the Texas head hunting abortion law is now in a primary where her opponent is not only against exceptions for rape and incest, but also for the death penalty for women who have abortions.

The stark reality is that the GOP with their gerrymandering red districts has become like a hyper charged evolution where the "desirable trait" is ever increasing craziness and extremes.

This Rep who was just responsible for the head hunting law almost immediately becomes the "moderate" as the only avenue for success in some of these primaries is harder right, harder right, harder right.

There has been some belief that SCOTUS wouldn't outright scrap Roe/Casey because the GOP needs it as a campaign issue(it's worth more to them to just continually chip away at it, the thinking goes). The moment they got Barrett on the court I was fairly sure that wasn't the case. But I thought so for other reasons I won't get into here.

But we also see that even in a completely post-Roe/Casey world they have not squeezed all the juice out of that orange. No exceptions for rape and incest have went full mainstream in the past few years. Next will be life of the mother, moment of conception personhood, death penalty for anyone involved, probably outlawing in-vitro, birth control, and probably other stuff that I can't think of because even in my wildest imagination I have trouble thinking like these ghouls.

I mean, imagine a world where every miscarriage is treated with the level of scrutiny that the death of a toddler is. 

• Guillotine 2

20 minutes ago, Chairslinger said:

A little off topic, but I just read an article the other day that one of the main supporters of the Texas head hunting abortion law is now in a primary where her opponent is not only against exceptions for rape and incest, but also for the death penalty for women who have abortions.

The stark reality is that the GOP with their gerrymandering red districts has become like a hyper charged evolution where the "desirable trait" is ever increasing craziness and extremes.

This Rep who was just responsible for the head hunting law almost immediately becomes the "moderate" as the only avenue for success in some of these primaries is harder right, harder right, harder right.

There has been some belief that SCOTUS wouldn't outright scrap Roe/Casey because the GOP needs it as a campaign issue(it's worth more to them to just continually chip away at it, the thinking goes). The moment they got Barrett on the court I was fairly sure that wasn't the case. But I thought so for other reasons I won't get into here.

But we also see that even in a completely post-Roe/Casey world they have not squeezed all the juice out of that orange. No exceptions for rape and incest have went full mainstream in the past few years. Next will be life of the mother, moment of conception personhood, death penalty for anyone involved, probably outlawing in-vitro, birth control, and probably other stuff that I can't think of because even in my wildest imagination I have trouble thinking like these ghouls.

I mean, imagine a world where every miscarriage is treated with the level of scrutiny that the death of a toddler is. 

Just another step to becoming a full-on fascist one-party theocracy in 2025.

I am never EVER going to understand, nor comprehend, the idea of removing viable healthcare options to those in need of them, regardless of the procedure. Between abortion & safe methods of euthanasia, both should be viable in all of our 50 states. I thought we have a separation of church & state & shouldn't be allowing religion to dictate local, state, & federal laws but unfortunately we continue to allow the "moral majority" to dictate policy & procedure (or severe lack thereof) by way of stating "God" thinks such a thing is "bad" which is bull shit.

• True 1

10 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

You miss all the shots you don't take.

With the current court composition, don’t you think we’ll soon just be seeing a “fire as many bullets as possible, no matter how far off target, and hope for a stray headshot” strategy?

I mean, if I’m playing right-wing realpolitik, my mantra is “we just need it to get past appeals, it doesn’t have to totally make sense”.  I’m counting on a lucky sequence of pliant or asleep-at-the-wheel appellate judges to get some clearly absurd case before the supremes, and then a long-shot majority ruling.  (A lot less of a long shot with Barrett on the court now)

Granted, I’d like to think that the Supremes’ many years of legal education and practice would preclude them from making a self-evidently crazy ruling, but even if they won’t, if a good just-slightly-over-the-edge case gets in front of them, it’ll provide sufficient cover to get the job done anyway.

• True 1

15 minutes ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

Granted, I’d like to think that the Supremes’ many years of legal education and practice would preclude them from making a self-evidently crazy ruling, but even if they won’t, if a good just-slightly-over-the-edge case gets in front of them, it’ll provide sufficient cover to get the job done anyway.

Lmao there’s some evidence that Alito has been Fox News and Q poisoned and Thomas has always been insane

to say nothing of their ideological commitment by joining the federalist society to the right wing takeover of the judiciary 

19 hours ago, Joe said:

Not to be a pedant, but wait until you see Spain’s abortion laws….

For those wondering, under Spanish law, abortion is legal up to 14 weeks and at later stages only for serious risk to the health of the woman or fetal defects.

This is pretty much in-line with the abortion laws in most Western European countries.

25 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

For those wondering, under Spanish law, abortion is legal up to 14 weeks and at later stages only for serious risk to the health of the woman or fetal defects.

This is pretty much in-line with the laws in most Western European countries.

Also this law is designed in part to help alleviate the massive stigma in the country surrounding abortion. There is a problem in Spain right now where doctors are just straight up refusing to perform abortions, even the ones before 14 weeks.