Star Trek: Picard - Season 3 (16 February 2023) - Official Trailer

On 4/13/2023 at 11:15 AM, SoberChef said:

WHOA! How am I the 1st talking about this episode!?

Hide contents

Like HOLY FUCKING SHIT BALLS ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME THATS GENIUS I LOVE IT!

So yeah ummm IDK if spoilers are cool or not I need to process but my brain imploded elevenity times. Low key, if it wasn't for the fact they're selling tix to theater seats for the finale, I'd demand the finale come early because HOLY SHIT!!

I just didn’t have a chance to watch before now. I’m completely flabbergasted. Shock. I kept waiting for the season to disappoint, and it just nailed it over and over. Even the two slowest episodes were still very good trek., but tonight they did something I never thought possible, they made me feel like an 8 year old sitting on the floor with my legs crossed watching TNG with my grandfather. He passed last year, and I’m sad he never got to see this, but incredibly happy its great. 

On 4/13/2023 at 1:18 PM, Jason said:

Also how the fuck did they off our boy Shaw so he can't be in a spinoff? :sadsun:

It was rough, but a good death. 

On 4/13/2023 at 8:26 PM, Chairslinger said:

You know, it sure read like a character death to me but it's worth pointing out that from what we have seen in Star Trek it seems plausible that Seven could save Shaw's life with some Borg assimilation sleight of hand. Assimilate him now and worry about saving him along with everyone else later.

I am on my rewatch of Voyager and I just got past the episode where she brought Neelix back after being dead for 18 hours.

I mean, just imagine the scene where Shaw finds out Seven did it, "You ASSIMILATED me, Hansen!?".

I don't think that is in the cards, though. I think the one slip up for season 3 that will be remembered most is that the show runners underestimated just how much fans would love the character. After all, the decision to kill him off was made long before the first episode ever aired.

Ya, its over, for him and my girl Ro Laren. But I’m not even mad, I think they were both great deaths. Both died saving people they came to care about, both in different ways.

• Hugs 2

12 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

I was so expecting this everyone is such a fan and asking for a spinoff and I'm like "he hasn't survived this season yet..." :|

agreed. Honestly, I didn’t have money on Seven making it either, because im not sure Ryan is that interested in full time trek.

Id be down for it if she was though. Seven in charge of the Titan would be great. Especially if they sent her back to the Delta Quadrant, as in the current lore, Starfleet has done missions back there, some led by Chakotay. 

3 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

agreed. Honestly, I didn’t have money on Seven making it either, because im not sure Ryan is that interested in full time trek.

Id be down for it if she was though. Seven in charge of the Titan would be great. Especially if they sent her back to the Delta Quadrant, as in the current lore, Starfleet has done missions back there, some led by Chakotay. 

Well they certainly just set her up for her own series and there has been previous foreshadowing of her being a captain one day.

2 minutes ago, DPCyric said:

Well they certainly just set her up for her own series and there has been previous foreshadowing of her being a captain one day.

Oh, I think she officially becomes captain at the end of this, I doubt she dies now, more likely Raffi does, but im not sure we get that Seven series.

id be in though, bring the hot laforge daughter too, because WOW, and she’s a great actress.

anyone think Picard sacrifices himself for Jack? Mirroring Data. 

59 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Oh, I think she officially becomes captain at the end of this, I doubt she dies now, more likely Raffi does, but im not sure we get that Seven series.

id be in though, bring the hot laforge daughter too, because WOW, and she’s a great actress.

Yes absolutely bring in Sidney LaForge <3 I doubt Raffi dies the show writer seems to really like her. As for the last bit I could see that would be a great way to end the series.

Edit: Also we could get a Shaw prequel series I guess.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I could see Picard dying in the end. Would be cool to see Picard and q at the end of all things

• Like 1
  • Hugs 1

some cool behind the scenes on the new old set. they even went to the trouble to recreating the look of a technical flaw/challenge from 80s set building that could have been fixed with modern LEDs but it wouldn't look exactly the same

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, Jason said:

Ro dying wasn't surprising because given Forbes' track record of not wanting long term show commitments, promising to kill Ro was probably necessary to get her back. 

No, apparently she was excited to come back and work with Stewart, but ended up loving the part they had written. She hadn’t made any demands.

Would you not accept the chance to work with living legends one last time if you were an actor? I’m sure she looks at it a lot differently in her late 50’s. 

working with Stewart innhis mid eighties, not many more people will get that experience. 

16 minutes ago, Jason said:

Being excited to come back and work with Stewart for an episode doesn't contradict the idea of her not wanting them coming back hounding her to be in the Legends spinoff. 

Yes, except she said she didn’t know about the death until she was signed and got the script.

On 4/13/2023 at 1:00 PM, Jason said:

Oh apparently the ship Shelby was on was the Enterprise-F, that's probably what the headline I saw was talking about. I completely didn't register that it was an Enterprise, I seriously thought it was Voyager. :lol:

On 4/13/2023 at 2:05 PM, Chairslinger said:

Yeah, I didn't follow my own advice this morning and opened YouTube to check on some NBA results and the very first video showed the F exiting space dock.

I noped out so hard. It wasn't really a spoiler because I identified the F in the trailer from last week, but seeing it in space dock tipped me off that it was probably going to play a bigger role than I assumed. 

The problem with the E and F is that they have streamlined the ship so much that it looks a bit too much like other classes now. The E looked cool, but the F streamlined it even more so now, like you said, it almost looks like Voyager or even a Nova class ship with that pointy saucer section.

Not to say they look bad. All the ship designs of s3 have been really good. I liked how the "neck" of the ship on the F is actually two connections with an opening in the middle. I think that looks pretty cool.

So are we going to see a Crusher vs. Queen showdown next week?

Reveal hidden contents

The Enterprise F is an Odyssey class start ship that debuted in Star Trek online and was the winning submission of a fan “design a ship” contest held by the developers of STO in 2011. The ship was made playable in 2013 on Frontier day. 

Watched before work again to make sure I saw it before I got hit with any spoilers. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this finale yet, but they did at least definitely achieve not fucking it up. 

Two immediate complaints are skipping out on what Seven's command catchphrase is, and it would have been better to just end on the poker scene instead of adding in the Q scene. If they absolutely had to do the Q scene they should have at least done it before the poker scene. 

You know, nowadays it is so standard to have character deaths in a finale or a big moment on shows that I think Terry did a great job by subverting expectations and making the most surprising outcome....well.....no one dies at the end! At least, not from the main cast. And the feints along the way were quite good. Going in, I was pretty sure everyone was going to make it, but halfway through the episode I was started to wonder if Picard was going to go out somehow.

The Enterprise raid on the Cube was obviously the hightlight of the episode. I liked how they gave everyone something to do. Loved that Riker and Troi's connection saved the day once again(call me a sap, I thought it was a great touch). And what a hell of a shot, Picard looking up at the Enterprise as the Cube explodes around them

But I think my favorite was Data. Man, talk about walking a razors edge between success and failure. Bringing back Data for this season was probably the biggest risk out of all of them. Could have easily been the stumbling block that left a bad taste on a huge part of the rest of the show. But they have done it so well that I think he might be the most interesting character I want to see more out of in the future.

His speech to give him the chance was great, but he ride through the Cube will go down as one of the best action sequences in Star Trek history imho. Obviously the reason we have never seen a big ship move like that before in Star Trek is budget and SFX(at least in the older shows) but I like to think that in universe what we are finally seeing in the full potential of Data. His superhuman physical capabilities, but now combined with human traits like inspiration and intuition. I wonder if it was intentional that we got that one shot where he looked more like he was playing a musical instrument than piloting a starship.

But even aside from any deeper meaning there might have been, it was just a badass action scene.

36 minutes ago, Jason said:

Watched before work again to make sure I saw it before I got hit with any spoilers. I'm not 100% sure how I feel about this finale yet, but they did at least definitely achieve not fucking it up. 

Two immediate complaints are skipping out on what Seven's command catchphrase is, and it would have been better to just end on the poker scene instead of adding in the Q scene. If they absolutely had to do the Q scene they should have at least done it before the poker scene. 

The whole story thread of Seven and the Titan were definitely the weaker of the two this episode, but I don't think it was bad. Seven rallying the crew when they were pretty sure they were going to die was a high point.

But I think most of that, plus the Enterprise G, and Q should all be taken as basically the back door pilot-lette for Star Trek Legacy. Which, now we know why Terry called it Star Trek Legacy(which always felt like a placeholder to me). Imho, any hiccups with how it flowed with the main story can be forgiven for the simple fact that it certainly seems like Terry already has his own show lined up, and it's set in the 25th century. I mean, that wasn't hinting, or ambiguous.....that is screaming from the rooftops that Legacy is coming <3

And it is such a simple and good explanation for how Q is still around. Can't believe I didn't think of it. Hell, River Song hung around Doctor Who for years based on this concept and Q didn't just jump through time, he swam through it like an ocean so the possibilities there are endless.

Does anyone know the name of the music piece they play when Titan escaped the Nebula in ep4, then when the hologram of Alton Soong plays and the camera pans around the fleet museum in ep 6, and in this episode when Picard tells Jack about how they are alike?

I think it is the best piece of Trek music they have made in 20 years. Most of the new stuff is alright but forgettable, but I quickly found that piece of music hitting me like some of the best in all of Trek.

So I'm trying to think what would be confusing for someone who tried to skip the first two seasons of PIC and just go straight to season 3...and all I can think of is why Picard is positronic now (which I guess would be easy enough to just accept as something that happened off-screen), and that Jack's line about thinking Q was dead probably wouldn't make sense. Am I missing anything else here? It seems like it's 99.5% self-contained from the first two seasons. Raffi would seem like just another random new character like Shaw I think, I don't think it would cause any problems that it's your first time seeing her.

1 hour ago, Jason said:

So I'm trying to think what would be confusing for someone who tried to skip the first two seasons of PIC and just go straight to season 3...and all I can think of is why Picard is positronic now (which I guess would be easy enough to just accept as something that happened off-screen), and that Jack's line about thinking Q was dead probably wouldn't make sense. Am I missing anything else here? It seems like it's 99.5% self-contained from the first two seasons. Raffi would seem like just another random new character like Shaw I think, I don't think it would cause any problems that it's your first time seeing her.

And they even kind of explain that, that he had a genetic disease and soong replaced his body. There’s no great detail, but you at least get it in passing.

The writing this season was so good. They juggled so many balls at once.

They managed to make season 3 accessable to even people who haven't watched the first two seasons. They made a great season arc story while still making individual episodes feel special(a lot of serialized shows struggle with this). And so many clues and foreshadowing that make a rewatch worth it.

Like for most of the season I think a fairly common opinion was that we loved Titan but it would have been cool if the season has taken place on an Enterprise.

Then last week changed all that and we realized they had to set it on Titan so that was it would maximize the specialness of coming home to the D.

And then this episode swerved us again. We were always on the Enterprise. The Enterprise G.

Imagine if Star Trek The New Generation runs for 5+ seasons and all the stuff it could go through and how much we will all love that ship in 5+ years. And we'll always be able to come back and enjoy s3 of Picard knowing she was the Enterprise even before we knew she was<3

• Thanks 1

Thoughts on the whole season. Obviously a night and day improvement over the first 2. Characters acted like themselves for the most part and speaking of acting everyone brought their A game this season. I honestly think this is the best work Burton, Frakes and McFadden have done in these roles over the course of the last 35 years. The what is the deal with Jack plot went on too long but that was the only major misstep this season.

Things get wrapped up a little to neatly at the end but that is just Trek for you. Like from the look on Sidney's face after she gets deborged she has the full memories and realization of the things she did while she was a borg, a whole lot Starfleet just became meat puppets to murder a whole lot more of Starfleet, Troi is going to be putting in some serious overtime. Don't like the Titan-A getting renamed either, yeah ships in Trek get renamed but not ones that have earned the suffix honor.

Loved the season. Two things that seemed to be missing were:

What happened with the Romulan love interest? They have a shot at the end of Jack setting down a picture of what appeared to be Bev and Picard getting married (which is amazing), but some closure would have been nice after the last two seasons. 

And... where the fuck was Wesley Crusher????

8 minutes ago, elbobo said:

Don't like the Titan-A getting renamed either, yeah ships in Trek get renamed but not ones that have earned the suffix honor.

IMO it would have been fine if they'd renamed it to the USS Picard IMO, it's specifically making it the Enterprise 1701-G that was dumb. That ship is simply not flagship of the fleet material. 

1 hour ago, dualhunter said:

The only thing missing was ending with the Picard song so I just listened to that to make up for it.

The scene with Picard, Riker, and Geordie on the Enterprise D as they shut the girl down was one of the moments that got me.

I liked how Picard said, "Take care of her Geordie" and he answers, "I will, after all she's always taken care of us.". I seen an article pointing out this line is very similar to the memorable line that DeForrest Kelly delivered to Data during Farpoint, "Treat her like a lady and she'll always bring you home.".

While watching it a great line occured to me. Even if they didn't intend to do anything with it in the future when they were shutting down the systems I would have loved Riker to say something like, "Keep a light on Geordi, never know when we might need her again".

3 hours ago, Jason said:

IMO it would have been fine if they'd renamed it to the USS Picard IMO, it's specifically making it the Enterprise 1701-G that was dumb. That ship is simply not flagship of the fleet material. 

Agreed I was expecting it to be the USS Picard when they revealed it. Other than that this episode is one of my single favorite episodes of TV I've seen and the moment when Picard jacked into the collective was a moment that hit strong.

• Thanks 1

This is an awesome bit of trivia, there was only one piece of the original set that was tracked down to take it's place in the recreated Picard set for the D.

Hint, it's not just a random part of the set. It's something very unique and so cool that they were able to find it....

Spoiler

The dedication plaque from seasons 5-7(the earlier seasons had a different one).

I paused it on Vox to read it and I remember I was impressed how well they recaptured the fine detail....turns out they didn't have to!

11 hours ago, Chairslinger said:

This is an awesome bit of trivia, there was only one piece of the original set that was tracked down to take it's place in the recreated Picard set for the D.

Hint, it's not just a random part of the set. It's something very unique and so cool that they were able to find it....

Hide contents

The dedication plaque from seasons 5-7(the earlier seasons had a different one).

I paused it on Vox to read it and I remember I was impressed how well they recaptured the fine detail....turns out they didn't have to!

oh yeah, I knew the plaque had been found and used in this.

On 4/21/2023 at 1:15 AM, DPCyric said:

Agreed I was expecting it to be the USS Picard when they revealed it. Other than that this episode is one of my single favorite episodes of TV I've seen and the moment when Picard jacked into the collective was a moment that hit strong.

Generally, ships aren't named after the living. That's why I never thought it would be the picard. 

I'm going to write more about my thoughts after supper. I'm still pretty elated, even a couple of days later. 

7 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

Generally, ships aren't named after the living. That's why I never thought it would be the picard. 

I'm going to write more about my thoughts after supper. I'm still pretty elated, even a couple of days later. 

Me too what a finale <3 Even had excellent humor!

3 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Well, they could have named it the U.S.S. Organic Picard, but that doesn't really roll off the tongue🤣

On 4/20/2023 at 12:07 PM, Jason said:

Dude… it always ends with Q