Star Trek: Picard - Season 3 (16 February 2023) - Official Trailer

I liked the episode and the season as a whole. It did feel like the season and the end of the last episode was going for fan service more than it should. But this is a “me” thing. 

this last episode felt like they were trying to be so inoffensive. While fun I don’t think any of it will stick with me. Because it felt like it tried to be the ending of “All Good Things”, but wasn’t better than it. 

The Titan was done dirty too and kind of so was the Enterprise. To go from a brand new, top of the line ship, to a retrofit of a ship that already has a name and a history. Was the F even destroyed or did it to get a rechristened? Probably the aspect of the episode I liked the least. It felt like a disservice. 

I’ve seen online where some didn’t like the Borg being the final boss, but I actually liked this. I think it would have worked better if Star Trek hadn’t spent 25 years making bitches of the Borg (Voyager and Picard S1), but it made sense for Picard if he was going to have a link to the enemy of this season. And at least the Borg were the most viable a threat they’ve been in a long long time. 

overall I’d rate this episode and season a “traditional grilled cheese w/ American singles and a bowl of Kraft Macaroni & cheese” /10.  

You know, the more I hear from Terry the more I find he is exactly what I want from Star Trek. It's not just about Picard's third season being the best Trek we've had in many years, it's that he is saying pretty much exactly what I have been saying for a while now. Star Trek's future, at least part of it, should not just be about setting series after series involving Kirk's accountant's old college roommate. Give us stories that explore the richest part of Star Trek: the decades following TNG, DS9, and Voyager.

Ever since season 3 was announced as the final season I have been saying that they should do kind of a twist in that it's only really a name change. Whether under a Captain Worf title or something else make it a spiritual successor that could almost be Picard season 4, but with TNG cast as guest stars. And whatever happened with season 3 really seems to have reignited the TNG cast's interest in the show. Hell, Brent asked to be killed off as Data 20 years ago and Frakes was having panic attacks during season 1 because he didn't know if he ever wanted to be an actor again....and now the whole crew seems excited to do whatever Terry has in store.

In a way, it's really interesting to look at how season 1 started and how season 3 ended. I think something that doesn't get talked about enough is how Patrick signed on to do Picard not long after Logan was released and was such a critical success. I think Patrick initially came back to tie up the loose ends of the Picard character and send him off. I think he really liked the finality and, quite frankly, bleak realism of the way Logan did things. The first two seasons of Picard feel very much like that, wrapping up the Data and Q storylines. But whatever happened on s3, whether it was Terry's story telling and enthusiasm, or the fun of being around the old cast that he loves so much, it really feels like Patrick's view on things have changed. He has said that he is open to making appearances, if not even a whole season of something. 

Terry said the ending poker game was a nod to All Good Things, as he considers that the best series finale in history(if it's not, it's close imho), but in a way it bookends the 3 Picard seasons as well, in an interesting way. We see the full cast having such fun together, and Picard has that line about how "I have come to believe that the stars have always been in my favor". How different that is from the very morose card games that opened season 1...........

I Dont Want This Game To End I Can See That Captain GIF - I Dont Want This  Game To End I Can See That Captain Jean Luc Picard - Discover &

Anyway, what prompted me to make this post is this article.

It has the normal talk now of Terry cheerleading for Legacy, but a line is also in there that I found very interesting.

“[Legacy would be] about Seven of Nine. It’s about Jack Crusher. It’s about the La Forge sisters. It’s about what else is going on in the galaxy with the Deep Space Nine characters and the rest of the Voyager characters…” Matalas added in the same Fox LA report. “Honestly, some of these [TNG characters], I’m not ready to say goodbye to. I think in a lot of ways, Jonathan Frakes, LeVar Burton, Michael Dorn, Gates McFadden, they’ve never been better. They are at the top of their game and I want to see more.”

Really love the part about DS9 and Voyager. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1

I don't want to rain on everyone's parade, but I'm kinda shocked reading everyone's reactions as mine are very much on the opposite end of the spectrum. I feel like I've been one of the few praising the new Trek shows and while I felt like Picard S3 started out strong, almost nothing about the back half worked for me. My wife and I couldn't help but comment to eachother about just how bad the writing was and how ham fisted it all felt. I really wish I enjoyed it as much as people here did; TNG is my Trek, Picard is my Captain, NCC 1701-D is my ship. Unfortunately I just felt like the nostalgia overrode all good sense, rhythm, character, and joy out of the promising start, and it culminated in a terrible way. For me, Picard S3 is to TNG what Rise of Skywalker is to the original Star Wars trilogy, an ending I'd rather forget.

Full Picard S3 OST......

Man, there are are hell of a lot of bangers and heavy hitters in here. You can really tell just as much love and reverence went into the soundtrack as went into the rest of the season.

As I mentioned before probably my favorite part is that original melody that was used and remixed in a few songs throughout. Probably my favorite Star Trek music piece since Voyager. In the soundtrack those songs are A New Family, Legacies, Evolution, and The Missing Part of Me. Legacies in particular turns the feels up to 10 because it is also the piece that uses DS9, TOS, and Voy themes mixed in.

Then there is some driving stuff, like Make It So. It is the music piece that plays in large part during that final 10 minutes of ep 9 that is destined for Star Trek Mount Rushmore. Hearing it detached from the dialogue you get to really appreciate how much of a winding maze it is through TNG's classic theme and all the great new touches that Picard S3 brought us.

Dominion is just a goddamn roller coaster ride. Longest song on the OST, completely original stuff(as far as I can tell) and man it is a ride.

Names Mean Everything takes some of the familiar beats we saw throughout the OST and turns it into a minute and a half long, full orchestra classic Star Trek theme song. You could really see this one being the opener for a show. I have heard people quip that Discovery's theme sounds like the theme song for a show parodying Star Trek.....this song sounds like a theme song to a Star Trek show that should exist, but doesn't yet(maybe Legacy? :thinking:).

I looked for the awesome piece from the Data and Lore showdown in Lower the Partition, but it is actually at the beginning of Get Off My Bridge. Which mixes that piece and the great piece when Titan torpedoes the Shrike. 

Family Reunion is, appropriately enough, the piece that plays towards the end of ep 8 when we first see all 7 of our crew back around the conference table again. It really luxuriates in the classic themes. I think there are its from Generations, main TNG, and Insurrection in there if I am not wrong.

You know, while there were some great moments in this season like escaping the Nebula, the Data and Lore showdown, unveiling the D, and the raid on the Cube....but listening to the OST reminded me of what I think might be the moment that topped them all for me. It is both emotional and extremely well done storywise(which I think is the hallmark of this season and why it will be remembered so fondly).

It is the part in ep 6 that runs from 25:50 to 31:23 when Legacies and Evolution is the background music. Starting when Jack sits down with Seven and concluding when Altan's message ends. In a way, I think this scene is the Nexus(no pun intended) of the whole show. Most of what come before runs to it, and what comes after follows from it. It has nostalgia, plot clues buried within it, reverence for the past, as well as looking towards the future all wonderfully symbolized throughout. When Soong is making his speech "Evolution is not an act of preservation, it's....addition", while we swing by the museum to see the NX-01, to the Enterprise-A, to the not quite yet Enterprise-G leading to the scene of Picard and Geordi talking about their kids and what they pass on to them.....I mean, that right there is just the best of what Star Trek can do.