Hogwarts Legacy - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted

Brian

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:

Using 10 minutes of google to debunk (from someone who is largely unschooled in anti-Semitism and Harry Potter):

1)  The goblin uprising of 1612 was in Prisoner of Azkaban.  And involved Goblins having an uprising

2)  The Fettmilch uprising was a group who stormed the Judengasse in August 1614 and attacked Jews.

3)  Cheese is kosher if is made with rabbinical supervision, and doesn't use rennet.  Most places in the US/UK use artificial rennet that can be Kosher.  Many European cheeses are made without rabbinical supervision, and using natural rennet (so aren't Kosher).  Gorgonzola is an Italian cheese, so most probably isn't Kosher.  But neither is most cheese.  I've never seen that Gorgonzola being particularly associated with Jews in a positive or negative way.

Could this be a hugely antisemitic item?  Maybe, but I still think that is a stretch.

The “it’s all anti-semitism” is operating like the typical conspiracy theorist, where they latch on to tiny factoids that *feel* meaningful and ignore everything that doesn’t fit the theory.

These are the same people who see every example of a person making the “OK” sign with their hands as making white supremacist gestures :p 

How’s the quality difference between PC and PS5? I have a 3080 on PC. Would probably rather play on PS5 if the quality is comparable because it tends to have smoother remote play on my Steam Deck than PC but if the quality would be much better on PC I’ll go that way. 

Reflecting on it, I’m not super sold on the anti semantic angle as a purposeful thing. I think JK being a transphobic piece of shit is enough honestly. I am okay with the discourse and I still think it’s helpful however as it can lead to people thinking about such things in the future to perhaps make products that don’t fall into anti semantic tropes and such things on accident. Nothing wrong with nudging developers to make content that won’t accidentally be hurtful to someone who was born one way or the other.

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, Rev said:

How’s the quality difference between PC and PS5? I have a 3080 on PC. Would probably rather play on PS5 if the quality is comparable because it tends to have smoother remote play on my Steam Deck than PC but if the quality would be much better on PC I’ll go that way. 

Say whaaaaatttttttttttt. A huge reason I love buying on pc is the advantage of using moonlight for near native looking/feeling remote play whereas ps5 is a huge sacrifice when doing remote play in comparison.

You aren’t using steam remote play are you?

Played litteraly for 4 hours straight. It's truly magical and captivating and so well done I'm so fuckin impressed.  It's succeeded my expectations and is so well written with amazing dialogue. I couldn't stop playing because the game progresses so naturally and so interesting that you constantly want to see what's next.

I'm playing on "balanced" mode for visuals which is only accessible with people who have the proper television. So I'm getting 40fps and the visuals are beautiful. The castle is mesmerizing and I did eventually venture out to a village for some supplies but I haven’t even scratched the surface of this enchanting gaming world.

Leveling, inventory, lore, combat with magic and spells are all spectacularly done. The menus are perfect and really organized and easy to follow.

I'm so impressed and happy with this and I never once seen or read anything HP. 

If it keeps at this level or even gets better we easily have a GOTY contender here. Wow.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Say whaaaaatttttttttttt. A huge reason I love buying on pc is the advantage of using moonlight for near native looking/feeling remote play whereas ps5 is a huge sacrifice when doing remote play in comparison.

You aren’t using steam remote play are you?

Yeah I haven’t tried moonlight on it yet. I’ll have to give that a shot. The PS5 remote play works really well now with Chiaki

Just now, Rev said:

Yeah I haven’t tried moonlight on it yet. I’ll have to give that a shot. The PS5 remote play works really well now with Chiaki

I use Chiaki for ps5 too but it still seems like it’s a stream to me. Moonlight is near magic and at least 650x better than steam remote play.

Just now, AbsolutSurgen said:
Hogwarts-Legacy-Full-Review-Featured.jpg
WWW.WIRED.COM

The game is mid at best, and its real-world harms are impossible to ignore.

Wired publishes an OpEd on JK Rowling, masquerading as a game review.

Im fine with them going this angle as long as they don’t address the game at all, which they unfortunately did, I don’t like playing make belief to try to make your point.

I haven’t played it yet but I’m still 99.8% sure that “the game is mid at best” is absolute horseshit and makes it hard to then take the rest of the article that I won’t read seriously.

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Im fine with them going this angle as long as they don’t address the game at all, which they unfortunately did, I don’t like playing make belief to try to make your point.

I haven’t played it yet but I’m still 99.8% sure that “the game is mid at best” is absolute horseshit and makes it hard to then take the rest of the article that I won’t read seriously.

I have no problems with people expressing their views on JK Rowling.  I have no problem with outlets directly linking negative articles about the creators in a review. 

I do think outlets do a disservice to their readers when they publish something like this, pretending it is a legitimate review:

The story is rooted in anti-Semitic tropes. The gameplay feels dated. The graphics feel like they’re a couple generations behind. All the characters are one-dimensional. It doesn’t stay true to the established lore. Every character feels like an off-brand version of the characters we know and love. There’s no sense of place. No magic, no heart. 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Rev said:

Nice, thanks! I’ll try it tonight. Any advice on settings? 

I honestly think I went default but if you run into issues let me know and I can confirm settings tonight. I keep my games native 4k on pc and do a 1440p stream to really get it looking close to a native 720p with a shit ton of AA.

Just now, stepee said:

I honestly think I went default but if you run into issues let me know and I can confirm settings tonight. I keep my games native 4k on pc and do a 1440p stream to really get it looking close to a native 720p with a shit ton of AA.

I play my steam deck on the NReal Air glasses so I can have it play on 1080p too. 

29 minutes ago, Rev said:

I'm on a 3090, and so far the game seems to run between 80-140 FPS. 

1440P with RT on High, not using RT lighting since it didn't really seem to add anything and sometimes looked worse. DLSS Quality. 

• Like 1