FSR 2.0 - Let’s try this again

crispy4000

1 hour ago, Zaku3 said:

It also already has FSR1 on all games already. This just brings that to Windows.

Yes FSR 1.0 can be universally enabled on the deck.  And on Windows too.  Going by DF's review, you probably shouldn't do it on PC unless you're playing on a 4K set, at the Ultra Quality preset, with a supported (relatively new) GPU.

This is why 2.0 was needed.  Adding FSR 1.0 universally for PC is kind of a non-starter, IMO.  It's more ideal on Deck and Switch, where the sharpened look may be more beneficial with a smaller screen presentation.

• 1 month later...
coo5PcYn2PJAtNkbH2Y489-1200-80.jpg
WWW.PCGAMER.COM

Deathloop will be the first, with others to follow.

To coincide with the launch of the RX 6650 XT, RX 6750 XT and RX 6950 XT, AMD is launching version two of its FidelityFX Super Resolution image upscaling technology. FSR 2.0 is designed to boost frame rates without the loss of image quality. The first game to receive support will be Deathloop, via a patch expected to be released on Thursday, May 12th.

Deathloop has been heavily featured in AMD’s FSR 2.0 presentations, so its no surprise that it will be the first to support the tech. Other games including Microsoft Flight Simulator, EVE Online, Forspoken and Farming Simulator 22 will also be receiving updates that add FSR 2.0 support.

1 hour ago, BlueAngel said:

It's actually really good, pretty much on par with dlss and often times better due to no ghosting.

Yup.  Most outlets are saying that still DLSS is preferable due to overall IQ and a slight performance uptick, but not by much.  NVIDIA also has a good advantage at the extremes, upscaling from very low res samples or high res downsampling (DLDSR).  But FSR supports dynamic resolution, whereas DLSS doesn't.  That's a huge win for the console market and mid-range PCs.

I'm so happy for what this means for the industry going forward.  Finally feels like we have next-gen upscaling that can be used on any platform.

• Like 1

Sounds like it’s almost as good as Dlss quality but if you like using dlss performance to get those frames going with ray tracing this won’t be as an effective of a solution. Great start though and I’m hoping between all the options now we won’t have to play any major games in native res soon.

Pretty much only care about this because of the Series X. Will be nice to see this hopefully used to continue getting decent resolution at 60fps on consoles.

10 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Pretty much only care about this because of the Series X. Will be nice to see this hopefully used to continue getting decent resolution at 60fps on consoles.

Depends on how hard a game leans into RT or UE5(-like) features.

That all makes me think this could be more of a resolution/fidelity bump ahead of a target fps decider for the consoles.  Most big console games already use some form of temporal reconstruction.

I want to see this compared to Epic’s solution at some point.

10 hours ago, legend said:

Good. Keep the pressure on, AMD.

Uhh, considering this just gave a massive free performance boost to nvidia's older GPUs (moreso than any AMD GPU) I think they just kind of kicked themselves in the balls.

I'm not a fan of exclusive features, but if your new feature works better on the competition's hardware... ouch.

Also I dunno what crack you people are smoking but the transparencies alone in the DF video made FSR look nasty as hell. It seems to handle motion in general much worse.

8 hours ago, BlueAngel said:

Yeah dlss has a slight advantage 1080p and lower but for a real legit try at competing with dlss I think AMD did a fantastic job, also shows tensor cores are not needed but Nvidia is gonna Nvidia. 

They’re plenty useful for what still makes DLSS preferable and for RT acceleration.

4 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Also I dunno what crack you people are smoking but the transparencies alone in the DF video made FSR look nasty as hell. It seems to handle motion in general much worse.

In fairness, most temporal upscaling solutions have similar motion artifacts.

6 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

Uhh, considering this just gave a massive free performance boost to nvidia's older GPUs (moreso than any AMD GPU) I think they just kind of kicked themselves in the balls.

I'm not a fan of exclusive features, but if your new feature works better on the competition's hardware... ouch.

I'm no suit, but I don't think the sales value plays out that way. DLSS was previously a major reason to consider getting an Nvidia card instead of an AMD card. Now that is less of a reason. Unless FSR was going to clearly dominate DLSS, I don't see much market value in making it exclusive to themselves. Whereas making it open increases support which benefits them, increases positive perception of the company, and invites others to help them improve it.

On the other hand, we're talking about humanity here, so who fucking knows :p 

Of course what I really want out of AMD is to more greatly support hardware for DL like Nvidia's tensor cores. DLSS is but one application of DL in games. There will be others and having great hardware for that will be increasingly important. While it's not super important at this moment, I think they need to be getting into that game now.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

I think Amd’s goal is to make developer support widespread so nvidia doesn’t push them out of the gpu market with closed dlss. If AMD succeeds, then the logic to always purchase nvidia because of dlss goes out the window. 

Competition is good. I hope Intel gets their act together to give us a third option soon too. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

I think Amd’s goal is to make developer support widespread so nvidia doesn’t push them out of the gpu market with closed dlss. If AMD succeeds, then the logic to always purchase nvidia because of dlss goes out the window. 

Competition is good. I hope Intel gets their act together to give us a third option soon too. 

Matrox is gonna come back with a gaming gpu any day now. Just you wait!

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Massdriver said:

I'm just still losing my shit that it runs WAY better on nvidia cards though, that's hilarious to me. How does that even happen?