I bought a chainsaw, and I’m in love with it

FCA371-FD-95-CD-47-BC-B86-A-6-DE1024-BC4-D7

my house to the left, the new property to the right.

The fence line is full of dead trees and I’ve wanted to get rid of them for a long time. We took the fence down between the yards this week and then I bought a chainsaw and started cutting all of these trees down. My arm is a bit sore from about 12 combined hours of cutting these last couple of days, but it is really satisfying to do.

Now that I’ve figured out the layout for the future stuff, I’m going to go ahead and plant some new trees, and good types that should last more than the 35-40 these did. Want something with big shady canopies for my old age.

I've cleared a lot of acres as a child (cult life is a fun life...) and perhaps the dumbest thing my dad ever did in our presence was when he decided that because a tree was too close to our house, he needed a solution to ensure that it would not hit the house. Now a thoughtful person would have done a proper oblique pie cut to influence the trees drop, but my father is no ordinary man! Sooo, he used a cross bow to fire a bolt connected to high test filament and shot it over the top crotch of this tree and then retrieved both end of this line and wrapped it around a metal pry bar. He then proceeded to walk the slack between multiple other trees and then instructed myself and my bother (our collective weight at this time would have put us as around 280lbs) to hold the bar and "make sure we don't give up ground" when the tree stars falling as he cuts it. :/ As my father walked off my brother and I rapidly discussed the merits of that plan and decided that it was a super bad idea to hold this bar and try to "hold the line". So when the tree fell, we let go and the tree fortunately manage to mostly miss the house with just the fringe of the canopy clipping the gutter, but man did that pry bar fly! :lol: Needless to say my dad kick the ever living shit out of us, but at least we didn't become part of his crazy Rube Goldberg logging solution that day, because I think worse bodily harm would have befallen us had we gone with his plan! :sun: I have to say though, that high strength filament really was high strength because it did not snap! :daydream: