Microsoft/Activision Blizzard Acquisition - Information Thread, update: The Deal Has Closed

Bacon

21 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From what I've read, the intent behind the performance review request was to analyze them to determine if any aspect of performance/compensation could be directly tied to actions that involve exclusivity deals or other actions that would "block" MS from obtaining favorable terms with third parties.

You know who else gets cut a big fat check for a deal enabling games to be blocked from competing platforms?

yDJCR3Y.jpg

Pot, meet rich man kettle.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, XxEvil AshxX said:

I mean, if you're asking for everything, might as well ask for everything.

If you're gonna go through the trouble of issuing a subpoena, you're absolutely going to request the sun, moon, and stars with the full knowledge that what you'll actually get will fall far short of that.

4 minutes ago, Remarkableriots said:

Which company do you think Microsoft will buy next? EA?

I don’t think MS will be in the market for any major acquisitions after this one for quite some time.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I don’t think MS will be in the market for any major acquisitions after this one for quite some time.

If only because they want this deal to clear.  Phil's expressed interest in Japan, we'll likely see a pickup there eventually.  Perhaps not a major one, but who knows.

Just now, crispy4000 said:

If only because they want this deal to clear.  Phil's expressed interest in Japan, we'll likely see a pickup there eventually.  Perhaps not a major one, but who knows.

Mostly because their finances don’t really allow for it. Smaller moves will be more likely for the next 3-5 years post ABK close.

9 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Mostly because their finances don’t really allow for it. Smaller moves will be more likely for the next 3-5 years post ABK close.

People thought the same after the Bethesda acquisition.  Meanwhile Phil was talking up future M&A's in Tokyo only a few months ago.

I don't think we can predict what Microsoft isn't willing to spend if the right deal comes along.  They're all in on this Netflix of Gaming thing, that necessitates investment in all categories.

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I'd imagine that Sony would seek to head off significant MS M&A activity in Japan by acquiring SE before Phil decides to come sniffing around.

I'd be shocked if both weren't already sniffing around at multiple Japanese companies, big and small.

1 hour ago, crispy4000 said:

People thought the same after the Bethesda acquisition.  Meanwhile Phil was talking up future M&A's in Tokyo only a few months ago.

I don't think we can predict what Microsoft isn't willing to spend if the right deal comes along.  They're all in on this Netflix of Gaming thing, that necessitates investment in all categories.

I'm saying their cash position will be greatly depleted after the ABK deal finishes. This is public info, we don't even have to divine it :p  The company is a cash printer though and they will rebuild their war chest over the next few years. But it does fundementally decrease their ability to make these major deals in the short run. I'm also not sure the big instiutional shareholders will have the appetite for big, contentious acquistions for a bit, when MS has other segments they could make deals in if the company is dead set on using cash in this way.

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

From what I've read, the intent behind the performance review request was to analyze them to determine if any aspect of performance/compensation could be directly tied to actions that involve exclusivity deals or other actions that would "block" MS from obtaining favorable terms with third parties.

It's an intimidation tactic 

4 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

If you're gonna go through the trouble of issuing a subpoena, you're absolutely going to request the sun, moon, and stars with the full knowledge that what you'll actually get will fall far short of that.

The insane requests make the regular requests seem palatable. 

• True 1

1 hour ago, sblfilms said:

I'm saying their cash position will be greatly depleted after the ABK deal finishes. This is public info, we don't even have to divine it :p  The company is a cash printer though and they will rebuild their war chest over the next few years. But it does fundementally decrease their ability to make these major deals in the short run. I'm also not sure the big instiutional shareholders will have the appetite for big, contentious acquistions for a bit, when MS has other segments they could make deals in if the company is dead set on using cash in this way.

There’s very few companies on Activison’s level, so there’s few worries there.  Plus if the deal goes through in their favor, it shows there’s practically no limits on who they buy as long as they say the right things.

Microsoft has struggled with Japan for so long, I believe a Bestheda-like purchase to buy themselves into that segment would still be on the table.  As I linked earlier, they’ve signaled  themselves: they’re not done, or taking a chill pill, they will remain in competition with these deals.  Sony’s not going to rest on their laurels after this either.

As far as funding goes, it’s clear by now that they’re not concerned about the short term. Microsoft is playing the long game.  Which means throwing money at good opportunities when they arise.

If there is a limit to their M&A funding, we haven’t seen it yet.  I think it’s whatever it takes to reach their goals.  Otherwise, why spend the money?

2 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

There’s very few companies on Activison’s level, so there’s few worries there.  Plus if the deal goes through in their favor, it shows there’s practically no limits on why they buy as long as they say the right things.

Microsoft has struggled with Japan for so long, I believe a Bestheda-like purchase to buy themselves into that segment would absolutely be on the table.  As I linked earlier, they’ve signaled it themselves.  They’re not done, or taking a chill pill, they will remain in competition.

As far as funding goes, it’s clear by now that they’re not concerned about the short term. Microsoft is playing the long game.  Which means throwing money at good opportunities when they arise.

If there is a limit to their funding, we haven’t seen it yet.  Phil flipped that script.

My man, they are about to blow through 70% of their cash to close the ABK deal. Their financial ability to close deals of this magnitude will be diminished until they build up the reserves again. This is even more true with the big uptick in interest rates making debt service a real cost compared to even the time when this deal was first announced. 

The limit to their funding is readily apparent to those who can read public disclosure docs.

8 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

My man, they are about to blow through 70% of their cash to close the ABK deal. Their financial ability to close deals of this magnitude will be diminished until they build up the reserves again. This is even more true with the big uptick in interest rates making debt service a real cost compared to even the time when this deal was first announced. 

The limit to their funding is readily apparent to those who can read public disclosure docs.

There is no Japanese gaming company beyond Sony or Nintendo themselves that would be a deal of this magnitude.

I agree with you in thinking that they’ll start small.

2 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

But as mentioned there no other deals of this magnitude left short of just buying Sony. Capcom, Sega, Square etc are still well within their budget, to say nothing of just acquiring smaller studios and not publishers. I do think this has shown that EA, Ubisoft, Take2 would just be too much of a hassle as even if they could get another major acquisition done they probably have to keep the biggest franchises multiplatform. Like they wouldn’t be able to get GTA Madden or AC exclusive probably after this.

• Halal 1

Just now, crispy4000 said:

There is no Japanese gaming company beyond Sony or Nintendo themselves that would be a deal of this magnitude.

What are you even arguing with me then?!? I said in response to a question about MS acquiring EA that they won’t be doing any major acquisitions like this for a long time.

And you’re like “wrong, they could definitely do smaller acquisitions!!!11!!1”

Just now, Dodger said:

But as mentioned there no other deals of this magnitude left short of just buying Sony. Capcom, Sega, Square etc are still well within their budget, to say nothing of just acquiring smaller studios and not publishers. I do think this has shown that EA, Ubisoft, Take2 would just be too much of a hassle as even if they could get another major acquisition done they probably have to keep the biggest franchises multiplatform. Like they wouldn’t be able to get GTA Madden or AC exclusive probably after this.

EA, the company he asked about, would cost the balance of MS’ cash reserves. It simply isn’t in the cards at the moment financially to do such major acquisitions post ABK for several years.

They are much more likely to do smaller deals if they continue their buying spree.

16 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

What are you even arguing with me then?!? I said in response to a question about MS acquiring EA that they won’t be doing any major acquisitions like this for a long time.

I said from the beginning “Perhaps not a major one, but who knows.”  We were never in disagreement on that.

I brought up Japan in response because from what Phil’s said, it looks like they’re more eager for M&A’s there than the West regardless.

7 hours ago, Brian said:

After this acquisition, I can’t imagine Satya approving further gaming deals until Spencer/Xbox prove their worth.  There are a lot of studios under Spencer. It’s time to release some bangers and increase those subs. 

Shareholder revolt would absolutely be on the table if they dropped money on an EA level acquisition in the near term. It makes regulators more suspicious of MS, it burns a toooon of cash that could be used in dividends and buybacks, all for a division that has been nothing special for MS for its entire history.

14 hours ago, Brian said:

After this acquisition, I can’t imagine Satya approving further gaming deals until Spencer/Xbox prove their worth.  There are a lot of studios under Spencer. It’s time to release some bangers and increase those subs. 

I'd absolutely love to see the internal metrics that will be used to evaluate whether this gamble paid off in a few years.

I can't see, after Bethesda and ABK, Microsoft buying any more publishers, at least for a while. I can still see them buying small developers and studios for offloading specific duties... such as a mocap studio or someone that specializes in porting to various platforms. A studio like Sabre Interactive would be a boon for them.

On 3/3/2023 at 4:06 PM, sblfilms said:

Crispy right now:

443171-When-You-re-30-Minutes-Into-An-Ar

In other cases, some people just really want MS to buy stuff like crazy for fanboy purposes, like our old friend AndrewDean, now banned from a third g'damn board.

1 hour ago, SaysWho? said:

Crispy right now:

443171-When-You-re-30-Minutes-Into-An-Ar

You do realize this was settled 3 days ago, yes?

It's hard to even quantify what a "major acquisition" is when all precedent for it has been thrown out the window with this $68.7 billion deal.  I think that's where the misunderstanding arose.  If there even was one.  Sbfilms didn't talk about which Japanese publishers would be considered major acquisitions, if any.

I brought up companies in that country in reference to Remarkableriots' question.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, crispy4000 said:

You do realize this was settled 3 days ago, yes?

It's hard to even quantify what a "major acquisition" is when all precedent for it has been thrown out the window with this $68.7 billion deal.  I think that's where the misunderstanding arose.  If there even was one.  Sbfilms didn't talk about which Japanese publishers would be considered major acquisitions, if any.

I brought up companies in that country in reference to Remarkableriots' question.

I was on vacation enjoying myself instead of realizing I misunderstood something hours into an argument :p 

call-of-duty.jpg
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Streaming and subscription parity is included as part of the company'

The short of it.

Microsoft: We can offer you full and complete subscription parity for 10 years.

Sony: What you are and could decide to charge us for it would kill our subscription model.

Full responses from Sony and Microsoft.