Sir Sidney Poitier -- first black man to win an Oscar for Best Actor -- passes away at age 94

1561.jpg?width=1200&height=630&quality=8
WWW.THEGUARDIAN.COM

The first Black person to win a best actor Oscar gave a string of groundbreaking performances on screen that helped combat social prejudice

The first Black person to win a best actor Oscar gave a string of groundbreaking performances on screen that helped combat social prejudice

Andrew Pulver

Sidney Poitier, whose groundbreaking acting work in the 1950s and 60s paved the way for generations of Black film stars, has died aged 94. His death was announced on Friday by the Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Bahamas, Fred Mitchell.

• Sad 3

Sneakers is so good.

I remember back in elementary or middle school we had do a report for Black History Month. The topic was famous black artists, athletes, figures, etc but who you got was pulled from a drawing and I got Sidney Poitier.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Sir Sidney Poitier -- first black man to win an Oscar for Best Actor -- passes away at age 94

My Granny tells a story about seeing In the Heat of the Night back in the opening weekend at her local theater. It was a part of town that had a pretty even split of Black and white patrons. When the scene below played

All the Black people in the room erupted in applause, causing notable concern to the whites 😂

Incredible man in his time. He meant the world to Black folks of my Granny’s generation ❤️

Fucking hell, between him and Peter Bogdanovich, not a good day for cinema! We watched In the Heat of the Night in school in Germany (yes, dubbed in German...) and discussed the American race dynamics in it, I always remember it as having a massive impact on me and the class in general.

PS: Interesting tidbit on the wikipedia article for the film I just checked out:

"The Japanese filmmaker Akira Kurosawa cited In the Heat of the Night as one of his favorite films."

1 hour ago, Fizzzzle said:

I know how legendary he is, but I don't think I've honestly seen a single thing he's ever been in.

Hit up In The Heat of the Night. Flick holds up tremendously well!