~*D1P's Games of 2022*~

SaysWho?

Finished Final Fantasy V Pixel Remaster. At one point I though I missed some bestiary entries but the enemy names were just ??? but then I really did miss the entry for Gogo since I didn't notice until later that the do nothing until the battle is over method doesn't get you the bestiary entry. So I didn't get the 100% Bestiary achievement nor the one for all other achievements. There's a bug where at times the game will soft lock in battle, music continues but nothing happens so you have to quit and restart. At least they fixed soft lock in the ending before I got that far.

Beat Metal Slug 2, fucking love it so much, maybe my favorite game of the genre besides, well, Metal Slug X. Really enjoying playing older games on the switch oled, they look fantastic on it and the 7” screen means you still have tons of real estate in 4:3. This is especially true or most collections that let you have black borders which is perfect for the oled, Nintendo needs to fucking update theirs for that option.

Also I wish ACA just had a “everything” bundle for $80 or something. I want pretty much every single Neogeo game but I’m not going to pay $8 each so I have like 5 of them. 

Dark Souls Remastered -- I'm actually well into the NG+ to this, but I really enjoyed the game, especially the world exploration. It seems endless and too big at first since the hub connects to at least three distinct areas, plus there's the original prison area which you can go back to. But the more you play, the more you get a handle for it, and it's not this oppressively large world.

You can tell the bosses hadn't quite hit their stride (same with Demon's Souls), yet it's still a fantastic experience because of the total package. And there admittedly are some good bosses in the game, anyway. I do wish some areas had a damn bonfire (looking at you, Blighttown and New Londo Ruins).

2022 Games

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Dark Souls Remastered

Inscryption

Until Dawn

Miles Morales

————————

Bloodborne

Finally got to experience it after all the hype for all these years.  I liked it a lot, probably my second favorite of the souls/souls adjacent games.  Really my only problems with the game are the lack of build options compared to other souls games and some truly awkward pathing.  I got lost plenty of times with not a single clue where to go just because so many corridors looked the same and some critical paths were hidden behind obscure bullshit.  A door to a whole new area just opened up at some point.  Why?  Fuck if I know, it was just open at some point and I had nothing to do with it.  The story was completely incomprehensible, but that’s just par for the course.  Some day I’ll go for the NG+ and try to find all the things I missed, but for now it’s on to Death Stranding Director’s Cut so I don’t totally burn out on the formula before Elden Ring.

The Forgotten City - Please play this game.

The long-short is: a woman you're with asks you to go find a friend who was with the both of you, and you're stuck in this loop in a city from 2000 years ago and trying to get out. And you don't have to figure it out in any set pattern: the first mission that opened for me ended up being a mission that others didn't get until the very end after they've figured most of everything out. So your progress is entirely up to you where you're not actually stuck doing anything, and you'll utilize the time loop to use items/information from one to complete tasks in the next.

I bought this on PS5, physical copy (which I'm not sure how a team of three was able to make a retail version of this game available, but I'm not complaining!), and got two of the endings, including the canon ending, and I really loved it. It's an "open world," but think of it more like Yakuza, where you can travel through a city. This game's loop relies more on discovery within the city, and finding out characters and motivations through conversation and exploration. 

I'm honestly impressed as hell that three fucking people developed this game. Think about how three people can take an engine like Unreal 4 and make a game that looks like this. It's obviously not "best graphics ever!" but the fact that you can have three people make this world is very cool. This is an "indie" game, but it's no different than a "bigger" game on the PS2 or 3.

Lovely game. 

2022 Games

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Dark Souls Remastered (NG and 7/10s of a NG+ I think :p

The Forgotten City

Finished Eastward. Overall it was really good though the end wasn't as enjoyable as the beginning. The in game game (Earth Born), was annoying but I managed to just barely finish it. I missed a skill, a heart piece, an item I need for my last ammo capacity upgrade, and I didn't bother with the early food items that are bought rather than cooked. Finishing the game unlock an extra mode that gives a chapter select so I plan to go back for the stuff I missed.

Inscryption

Until Dawn

Miles Morales
Bloodborne

—————————

A twofer this time.

Mundaun

Bought this for the Switch for spooky season last year and just never got around to it.  I enjoyed it, the art style added an interesting layer of otherworldly feeling to it which I appreciated.  It was more creepy than outright scary, and the story was interesting, although wandering around lost most of the time took a lot of the wind out of the sails.  Worth playing if you’re looking for a creepy, folk horror experience, but not really worthwhile outside of that niche.  

Castlevania

Yeah, the original NES one.  Bought the Castlevania Collection on PS5 because it was on sale.  Still an utterly infuriating banger, but save states really make the tedium easier to swallow.  

• 3 weeks later...

Beat Oli Oli World after something over 15 hours, I don’t know how to see exactly how long in it. Really good game that I think a lot of people here are sleeping on. I’d say both fans of Tony Hawk and 2D platformers should take a look at it. It has styleeee and looks fantastic on the Switch oled with a great color palette.

The story itself is just pretty much a bunch of nothing and just barelllly is better than not existing at all but you can quickly skip through it. The personalities of the characters are fine besides honestly Suze is just a bitch but nothing really happens.

But the level design and addictive gameplay is why you are here and all the courses look and play great and are hugely repayable. 

I have a couple complaints, the main one being I don’t like the method of pulling off grabs. You use the right analog and my brain simply does not work with it. I don’t know if it’s because of too much Tony Hawk or what but I just pretty much skip using them because the act of switching over to the right analog stick in my combos doesn’t feel good or right to me. I think it really might just be the time delay of moving from the buttons to the stick, it’s weird idk.

I still could trick my way through doing full course combos with flips, manuals, wall rides, perfect landings, grinding etc, but grabs were out for the most part. You HAVE to grab in order to jump through these crystal obstacles later on and that was always annoying.

Kinda related but not as much as it might sound is the difficulty curve is a bit whack. I started out doing 100% in the first world, then by the second it was beating all the times and getting most of the challenges, by the third world the challenges were too hard so just the top scores. But then on the fourth world the top scores shoot WAY up. Like 10x from the last level of world 3 to the first level of world 4. 

By the end I was just trying to beat the low top score and to do a one combo run of the level without using a checkpoint. Which is fine I guess, but the game isn’t difficult enough to just make it to the end of a level, it’s not supposed to be. So Id like maybe a more consistent goal score or challenge wise I could aim for without needing to not only do one constant combo for the whole track but do a million different things during it as well.

But anyway those were just things holding it back from being a true 9/10, it still earns its 85 meta and I’ll be getting the dlc and any sequel which hopefully can iron a few things out.

Beat Goblin Sword on switch and did the extra levels besides the ones you need to earn all the gems to open up. It’s a little (currently $2) indie platformer with charming 16bit pixel art. Kind of plays like a Castlevania, very simple with only jumping and a swordswinging action and nothing else. But it controls really well and provides a good balance with its difficulty that kept me going through the end of it. It’s a port of a 2014 mobile game so I’m surprised how dead on the controls are actually. Content wise Switch shows me at 5+ hours, probably was about 7 hours or so to beat the 90+ levels and I didn’t try to collect all of the gems. Solid 7/10 and definitely recommend checking it out for $2 on the eshop.

I finished Eight Dragons with each character. It was a fun little homage to NES beat ‘em ups such as Double Dragon, Renegade and Target: Renegade.

2022 games

Far Cry 6

Light Fairytale Episode 1

Light Fairytale Episode 2

Raging Justice

Tormented Souls

Eight Dragons

Lord, middle of March and here is my first post.

Spiderman B+

Me as a teenager would have loved this and would have 100%’d it. Me now just wants really good, 6 hour games.

April:

Skyward Sword B

A great game that controlled well, but despite what the game thinks, nothing feels overly epic. I do feel that the final ‘dungeon’ paved the way for the Shrines in BotW however.

spacer.png

Last Stop

I had been pecking away at this one for a while but ended up finishing it. I had debated on making a topic for this game but in the end I said nah. You can play it on game pass but it's available on everything. The game feels a lot like a Quantic Dream game, in that it's more of an interactive movie more than something you play. However, the story is pretty interesting in this one. It follows three different people and a strange occurrence happens to all of them. It's like twilight zone-ish in that way. You could probably plow through the game pretty quickly making it a good game pass game. The dev, Variable State, is pretty small. The only other game they've made is Virginia but I thought this game was good for what it was.

I finished Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance, it was a decent linear third person dungeon crawler. I enjoyed its levels, and combat.

2022 games

Far Cry 6

Raging Justice

Tormented Souls

Eight Dragons

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance

Finished Soma Union. It's free and most of the reviews were good so I gave it a try. Except for issues arising because it's made in RPG Maker, it was enjoyable. First I had to get it to fit the screen, then I had to get the controls working. By default only the d-pad/left stick and the confirm button were working but remapping the cancel button (also opens and closes the menu) based on a suggested mapping for a different RPG Maker game (I hate RPG Maker) was easy enough and then I was set for most of the game. There was a brief part that required the use of the A key which can't be mapped to a controller. I looked at the keyboard mappings and tried mapping some buttons to the same letter that A is mapped to (the control mapping for RPG Maker is horrible) but it didn't work. I tried a remote app I have that include a keyboard but it wouldn't accept the A from that. I ended up exiting fullscreen an using the Windows Onscreen Keyboard since I bring my wireless mouse to the couch for entering and exiting Big Picture Mode and the A key on that did work so I was able to get past that section and enjoy the rest of the game.

So once again, RPG Maker sucks, but if you like retro JRPGs Soma Union is enjoyable and it is free.

Also finished The Pedestrian. Cool puzzle game, not too tough.

Beat Death's Door, my first game this year because of life getting in the way.  It also looks like a pretty extensive post-game relative to the main stuff, so I'll probably do that first before dropping final thoughts.

I just wish I knew that planting seeds in pots was part of it.  I only used them when needed, so now I have a lot of backtracking to do.

Finished Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow. It was my second time playing through it but it's the most boring Castlevania game I've played thanks to the souls system. Even with the accessory that increases the soul drop rate and the rewind feature some take forever to get. I finished it again in Julius mode so no souls to collect and it was much quicker.

Finished Castlevania: Vampire's Kiss finishing the Castlevania Advance Collection. I decided to go with the Japanese version since I already played Dracula X on Virtual Console.

header.jpg?t=1648756013

First game I've beaten this year.  I've been slacking, but that might just be due to Yooka Laylee's Impossible Lair being ... pretty much impossible.

Death's Door feels like a mash up of many of the better Zelda-likes that aren't Zelda.  It's a quasi Quintet 16-bit action RPG, with a focus on combat, quirky characters, and atmospheric music.  I kinda wish it had more meat on its bones, but if you go into it with the expectation that it's a 10 hour game, it doesn't disappoint.

Balance is a bit of an issue.  You can level up your run speed in this game, which if you go that direction, makes one of the bosses at the mid-game a total cakewalk.  At least the difficulty comes back by the end.

Overall, I don't think this is better than most Zeldas.  It's also a cut below Terrangima, but still is good in its own right.  I can't say the same about the post-game, whose tasks suffer from a lack of payoff in the 'true' ending.  No need to 100% this one.

8.5/10

I finished Antiquia Lost, it was a decent little retro style 2D turn-based JRPG.

2022 games

Far Cry 6

Raging Justice

Tormented Souls

Eight Dragons

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance

Warhammer: Chaosbane

Fuse

Antiquia Lost

I need to make a list so I remember, I think I’m forgetting one or two I beat this year, I’ll need to think: 

2022 beaten:

Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom

Star Wars Fallen Jedi

Life is Strange True Colors

Metroid Dread

Metal Slug 2

Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle (played through em all)

Mafia Definitive Edition

Elden Ring

Dying Light 2

Horizon: Forbidden West

Kirby: GOTY Edition

Goblin Sword

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Oli Oli World

Sonic Colors

Pokemon Legends

Some good shit there.

• Like 1