~*D1P's Games of 2022*~

SaysWho?

Maybe last one for this year? Even if so, hot damn, I’ll probably never have a year like that again lol. 

Beat Modern Warfare 2 2022 and it was a lot of fun with two overly long and boring levels dragging it down a little. 7.5/10

Multiplayer is fun too and I like the third person mode and some of these maps so as an overall game I’d give it a 8/10, Im not an expect like @Biggie but it seems like a good one this year.

Ghostwire

Steel Assault

Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom

Star Wars Fallen Jedi

Life is Strange True Colors

Metroid Dread

Metal Slug 2

Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle (played through em all)

Mafia Definitive Edition

Elden Ring

Dying Light 2

Horizon: Forbidden West

Kirby: GOTY Edition

Goblin Sword

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Oli Oli World

Sonic Colors

Pokemon Legends

Mail Mole

Grapple Dog

Megaman x4

Megaman x7

AC Valhalla (incl  paris and ireland dlc!)

Sifu

Toree 3D

Toree 2

Klonoa 2022 remaster

Klonoa 2 remaster

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Triple Trouble Remake

Saints Row

Splatoon 3

Bright Memory Infinite

Plagues Tale: Innocence 

Gotham knights

Sonic Frontiers

TMNT: Shredders Revenge

Evil West

God of War 2

Lunistice

Modern Warfare 2 2022

12 hours ago, stepee said:

Maybe last one for this year? Even if so, hot damn, I’ll probably never have a year like that again lol. 

Beat Modern Warfare 2 2022 and it was a lot of fun with two overly long and boring levels dragging it down a little. 7.5/10

Multiplayer is fun too and I like the third person mode and some of these maps so as an overall game I’d give it a 8/10, Im not an expect like @Biggie but it seems like a good one this year.

Ghostwire

Steel Assault

Star Wars Fallen Jedi

Metroid Dread

Metal Slug 2

Mafia Definitive Edition

Elden Ring

Dying Light 2

Goblin Sword

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Oli Oli World

Sonic Colors

Pokemon Legends

Mail Mole

Grapple Dog

Megaman x4

Megaman x7

Sifu

Toree 3D

Toree 2

Klonoa 2022 remaster

Klonoa 2 remaster

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Triple Trouble Remake

Saints Row

Splatoon 3

Bright Memory Infinite

Gotham knights

Sonic Frontiers

Evil West

God of War 2

Lunistice

Modern Warfare 2 2022

Am I blind or don't I see Ragnarok in there?

Ok fine adding one more game to the year, Spark 3: The Electric Jester. This was a very good, I’d say a 7.5/10 or so indie 3D platformer. If Sonic Frontiers didn’t also release this year I would probably be saying it’s the best 3D Sonic has been in a long time. 

It’s essentially the 3D Boost Sonic gameplay, without any of the side scrolling levels. There are some levels that you move around in a bit more open collecting coins within a set time period, some with a time score you need to beat, but it’s mostly that. There’s also light combat that actually works a lot like Frontiers without the loop, though it’s not as good here.

If you like that type of Sonic gameplay then it’s a no brainer. It has surprisingly high production values from being made primarily by one person and it has uh quite the story. It’s overly long and complicated but it certainly goes places at the end..for better or worse!

For the last stage they decided to both introduce a lives system (I was given 12 lives, I guess this is based off the amount of challenges you’ve beaten) and make it a ridiculous 50 minute or so gauntlet. It’s like seriously that long, it’s insane. I really liked the game but that was dumb. It took me three tries, and I only had 3 lives left on that last try, if I had to start again I might just not have beaten the game. That’s a big ask to have you repeat it and is out of line with the rest of the game which is pretty casual enough fun. I don’t know why developers love throwing in fun sucker shit like that. 

This is actually the third in a Franchise with the first game being a 2D hand drawn style Sonic clone and the second being more like this one but less ambitious. The levels to the second one unlock when you beat the game so I’m glad I was able to beat the gauntlet. It seems like they took the idea from yooka laylee impossible lair, but at least that game framed the entire game around it so you knew what you were getting into. It didn’t ruin anything for me since I did manage to beat it on that run but man could have easily soured me on the whole thing. Mainly bitching about it so much to put that energy out there so hopefully it doesn’t become a thing more devs copy.

But anyway besides that tangent yeah it’s hella fun and the current sale price of $12.50 is a good deal imo, it took me about 12 hours to beat it and I didn’t play the levels from Spark 2 yet.

Ghostwire

Steel Assault

Star Wars Fallen Jedi

Metroid Dread

Metal Slug 2

Mafia Definitive Edition

Elden Ring

Dying Light 2

Goblin Sword

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Oli Oli World

Sonic Colors

Pokemon Legends

Mail Mole

Grapple Dog

Megaman x4

Megaman x7

Sifu

Toree 3D

Toree 2

Klonoa 2022 remaster

Klonoa 2 remaster

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Triple Trouble Remake

Saints Row

Splatoon 3

Bright Memory Infinite

Gotham knights

Sonic Frontiers

Evil West

God of War 2

Lunistice

Modern Warfare 2 2022

Spark 3: The Electric Jester

Okay also beat Crash 4 now too. Actually played about 3/4th of it on ps5 then got it on pc on the Steam xmas sale and now played through the whole thing on there. I definitely enjoyed it more as a handheld game as is standard for this type of punishing platformer. The difficulty for most of the game is tough but fair if you are just trying to beat levels but it gets a bit much on the last world.

It’s probably the best Crash when just playing through the levels, probably the worst Crash if you are trying to collect anything. It’s just not worth it, it’s far too difficult and there’s far too much to collect to 100% a level or really to go for any goals. The only reasonable challenge is getting to the end of the level, everything else might as well not be there. 

Ghostwire

Steel Assault

Star Wars Fallen Jedi

Metroid Dread

Metal Slug 2

Mafia Definitive Edition

Elden Ring

Dying Light 2

Goblin Sword

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Oli Oli World

Sonic Colors

Pokemon Legends

Mail Mole

Grapple Dog

Megaman x4

Megaman x7

Sifu

Toree 3D

Toree 2

Klonoa 2022 remaster

Klonoa 2 remaster

Sonic Adventure

Sonic Triple Trouble Remake

Saints Row

Splatoon 3

Bright Memory Infinite

Gotham knights

Sonic Frontiers

Evil West

God of War 2

Lunistice

Modern Warfare 2 2022

Spark 3: The Electric Jester

Crash 4

Inscryption

Until Dawn

Miles Morales
Bloodborne
Mundaun

Castlvania Collection
Elden Ring
Evil Dead
Yakuza Kiwami 2

Splatoon 3
Hitman 3
Resident Evil 3

The Quarry
Frog Detective 2

Frog Detective 3
Jojo’s Bizarre Adventure All Star Battle R
Metroid Dread

Great Ace Attorney Chronicles
RE Village Shadows of Rose DLC

——————————-

Signalis

Sneaking in before the end of the year.

I really wanted to like this game more than I did.  The story and the vibe were great, but playing it became a complete chore after a while, and I genuinely love old RE and Silent Hill games.  I don’t know what about Sigalis so badly rubbed me the wrong way, but I found myself getting progressively more annoyed with having to replay sections because I died again.  On top of that there are some puzzles that, to play completely straight and not game the system would require perfect memory or the constant running back and forth between sections to check your work and screw that.  

Didn’t beat a single game in the past two months.  I’m starting to get to the point where the backlogged games I really want to play are at least 10 hours long.

Hope to finish Fallen Order soon though.  I watched Obi-Wan and Andor over the break, and it’s fun to be playing something good set in that time period.  It feels even more Star Wars in some ways, think it’s the music being better.

On 1/19/2022 at 4:52 PM, TheLeon said:

Superliminal- fun little game, only takes a few hours for a normal playthrough. 

The Outer Wilds - I’ve mentioned this elsewhere, but I bounced off of this game almost immediately when it first came out. I didn’t give it much time. Returning to it now, I quickly fell under the game’s spell. It was nearly all I could think about until I finished it. Fantastic game. Any feelings of frustration I felt during it were almost always quickly followed up with a surge of joy. The wonder of discovery! The thrill of mastering mysterious game mechanics! 

Whoops, I was going to keep updating this list, but I haven't posted in here since last January! So now comes the fun part: remembering what the hell else I finished in the rest of the year. 

Metroid Dread

Elden Ring

Cyberpunk 2077

Life is Strange: True Colors

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Final Fantasy III: Pixel Remaster

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Immortality

Dark Souls 3

Deathloop

The Quarry

Signalis

God Of War: Ragnarok

Not the longest list, but certainly better than I've done in the last few years! 

• Halal 1

2 hours ago, TheLeon said:

Whoops, I was going to keep updating this list, but I haven't posted in here since last January! So now comes the fun part: remembering what the hell else I finished in the rest of the year. 

Metroid Dread

Elden Ring

Cyberpunk 2077

Life is Strange: True Colors

Legend of Zelda: Skyward Sword

Final Fantasy III: Pixel Remaster

Uncharted: The Lost Legacy

13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim

Immortality

Dark Souls 3

Deathloop

The Quarry

Signalis

God Of War: Ragnarok

Not the longest list, but certainly better than I've done in the last few years! 

You forgot Subliminal and The Outer Wilds!

I got quite a bit into Two-Point Hospital in 2022, so I think I'll make that my final 2022 game and start in the new thread!

2022 Games

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Dark Souls Remastered (NG and 7/10s of a NG+ I think :p) 

The Forgotten City

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

L.A. Noire

Doom

Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!

Sonic Mania x2

God of War 1

God of War 2

God of War 3

God of War 2018

New Pokémon Snap

Resident Evil 2 Remake

Stray

God of War: Ragnarok

Two-Point Hospital

• 4 months later...

I just remembered that I hadn't completed my 2022 list, so I figured I'd better wrap it up before moving on to 2023...eventually!

Remnant from the Ashes (PC - Steam)

OK, right of the bat: much like I did with Sekiro: Shadows Die Twice, I used this trainer to complete the game on PC and also much like Sekiro, I have no regrets about it at all! :twothumbsup:

The fact of the matter is that even though the game can "theoretically" be played as a single-player title, there is little doubt in my mind that its core design really intends (if not outright demands) that it be played in co-op.  As I've mentioned, my gaming skills aren't exactly the best, but I'm fairly certain that even players with higher skill levels than mine will be hard-pressed to finish the game as a solo player even on the lowest ("Normal") difficulty level or if they manage to power through, that the experience would be vastly more frustrating than fun for much of its duration.  Hopefully, this is something that will be addressed in its upcoming sequel through the inclusion of an "Easy" difficulty level for those solo players who genuinely want to play the game as a single-player experience.

Overall, the game is really quite engaging and represents a somewhat different post-apocalyptic setting than the one that we're commonly used to seeing as the enemy known as "The Root" is...well, I'm not even sure that fully understand who or what they are or where they even originated from and I made damned sure to absorb every piece of lore material that the game offered.  I do think that the sense of mystery about The Root actually does help contribute to my overall apprecton of the game's setting.  Just as a note - the "Subject 2923" DLC should really be considered "essential" as its campaign takes place after that of the main game and actually completes the game's narrative arc.

From a gameplay perspective, it does have some "Souls-like/Souls-lite" inspiration in certain elements (bonfire checkpoints, flask system for health regeneration, dodge roll with invincibility frames), but I do think such a description is somewhat reductive (as it invariably turns out to be at least 75% of time that it's used).  One of the key differentiators is the level design in that Remnant uses a kinda/sorta procedurally-generated system for its levels that does add some degree of variety through multiple playthroughs, but this occurs at the expense of the levels themselves being particularly memorable, which they sure as hell aren't.  Another downside of this system is that certain quests (and their associated achievements/trophies) are tied to the world state when you generate a particular realm.  This means that you might have to re-roll a realm several times in order to generate the correct world state to complete that quest.  Fortunately, regenerating a realm's world state is pretty easy to execute from your home base, but it's still somewhat annoying nevertheless. 

While I really can't say that I'd recommend this game to be played as a solo, single-player campaign (especially on the console where use of a trainer is simply impossible) due to its fairly challenging difficulty level, I have little doubt that it would absolutely shine as a fantastic co-op experience with a buddy or two. 

Signalis (PC - Steam) 

I've saved the best for last as this absolute gem of a game was hands-down my personal 2022 Game of the Year :clap::bow::celebrate:

Rather than make your eyes glaze over with another wall of text, I'll let our official Signalis thread do the talking (typing) for me!

And that's a really belated conclusion to my Games of 2022 - let's how long it takes me to get around to 2023! :p