~*D1P's Games of 2022*~

SaysWho?

Finished Star Trek: Elite Force II. I enjoyed Star Trek: Voyager Elite Force and back in the day I played the demo but didn't want to pay full price for the game. In the end it never got cheap enough before it wasn't in stores anymore. Since it's a licensed game, I figured I had missed my chance but it finally came out on GOG. I played it a bit at a time. I enjoyed it, but it's harder to enjoy old school FPS games than it was back in the day.

I finished Darksiders III, it was a really good third person Metroidvania with some Soulslike elements as well. Its graphics, gameplay, combat and level designs were all solid.

2022 games

Far Cry 6

Light Fairytale Episode 1

Light Fairytale Episode 2

Raging Justice

Tormented Souls

Eight Dragons

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance

Warhammer: Chaosbane

Fuse

Antiquia Lost

Shenmue

Alice: Madness Returns

Bloodshore

Darksiders III

• Halal 1

Finished Mega Man X7. When I played 1-6 on the Mega Man X Legacy Collection 1 & 2, I always started without Rookie Hunter mode on for the first run but when I got to 7 it was too annoying. Some achievements can't be got with Rookie Hunter mode, 5 & 6 have an in game easy mode that doesn't cause any achievement issues but 8 doesn't. I tried 8 after that and couldn't get into it either so I moved on to other games. MMX7 has 3D sections which include camera and control issues plus the bosses are annoying. The voice acting is terrible. X is not playable from the start, the title character has to be unlocked to be playable. The game was still annoying with Rookie Hunter mode but I finished it and decided to give it another go without Rookie Hunter mode and was able to do it. I was a bit concerned about the final levels but surprisingly given how much most of the game sucks, the retry option was rather forgiving for the series. Normally when you refight the 8 bosses at the end you have to finish them all without getting a game over or you'll have to start them over again but in X7 it saves your progress. It also saves your progress for the stages of the final boss so you don't have to redo the first form. Were it not for that I might have given up. I got 2 of the endings and just watched the 3rd on YouTube. My opinion of the game has improved a lot since starting the game but it's still the worst of the series.

Having finished 7, I'm willing to give 8 another chance to complete the collection. I'll start with Rookie Hunter mode on to get used to it and then try without after.

• Halal 1

spacer.png

A Memoir Blue

This is one of those games that is more of an interactive story than anything. It's pretty straightforward storywise and gameplaywise. It's nice I guess and not very long (Probably less than 2 hours). You can play it on gamepass. Seems like it was developed by a team of under 20 people it looks like from the end credits.

Finished Mega Man X8. When I first gave up on X7, I tried 8 but couldn't finish the intro level so I gave up on that too. After returning to 7 years later and finishing it, I gave 8 another try too. I started with Rookie Hunter Mode and finished it, then again as a New Game + and finally started a new game with Rookie Hunter Mode off. I used input codes to unlock X's Ultimate Armor, Black Zero, White Axl and the Sigma Blade. Some of the levels were annoying, especially  without Rookie Hunter Mode but it's still much better than X7. There was a part in near the end of the final level that I was worry about because of spikes which with Rookie Hunter Mode on I could just take the damage and continue but without it spike are insta-death but after I few tries I got pass that section. Now I'm completely done with the Mega Man X Legacy Collection 2 and while 7 and 8 are the weakest entries my opinion of them has gone up. Mega Man devs still deserve to get impaled by spikes, not the pointy ends, but the sides of the spikes, since they like to make those insta-death :silly::p 

Ghostwire Tokyo - this my early contender of most overlooked game this year. Last year was GotG and this has a lot in common. It takes too long to unlock the powers to make the gameplay more enjoyable. Both have great settings and atmosphere. If you need something to play in the summer months, I recommend this one. 8/10

• Halal 2

1 hour ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Ghostwire Tokyo - this my early contender of most overlooked game this year. Last year was GotG and this has a lot in common. It takes too long to unlock the powers to make the gameplay more enjoyable. Both have great settings and atmosphere. If you need something to play in the summer months, I recommend this one. 8/10

THANK you. Mother fucking @Xbob42 isn’t even hyping this one enough for my liking. It’s just a great sleepy Sunday kinda game. I enjoyed being immersed in the atmosphere and exploring and collecting souls. Recommended for fans of Gravity Rush.

header.jpg?t=1652950956

What a beautiful game.  It's rare for me to play something and gawk at the art the whole time, but Greak does that.  It looks like Hollow Knight tried to be more like Ori.  Here's a random screenshot I took in a basic cave - this is the visual mark it hits throughout:

H0Subg7.jpg

Plus all the music is orchestrated, which is a treat in a 2D indie.

Gameplay otherwise isn't quite as polished, but gets the job done.  It's a puzzle-platformer at heart, a light Metroidvania mixed with Lost Vikings.  Aside from alternating between characters to solve puzzles, you can control all of them simultaneously. They'll often desync from one another slightly - if you've played Ice Climbers in Smash Bros, you know what that means.

There's minor flaws here and there.  Enemies are a bit too repetitive.  Story and lore never amount to much.  Having to manage each character's health and inventory individually is annoying.  Combat never feels great, partly due to the three character dynamic not working out well within boss battles.

Still it's a better overall package than those faults imply.  I was still really up on it by the end.  It feels like a hidden gem in the same way that Teslagrad is.  Not an absolutely must play, but if you tried the genre's heavy hitters and want something lighter, try it.

8/10

Death's Door - 8.5/10

Torna: The Golden Country - 9/10
Turnip Boy Commits Tax Evasion - 7/10
Mail Mole - 7.5/10

Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair - 9/10

What the Golf? - 8/10
Greak: Memories of Azur - 8/10

• Halal 1

Pokémon: Let's Go, Eevee!

Just classic Pokémon with some additions, especially post-game.  I wanted something that would get me back in the groove, and a remake of Pokémon Yellow seemed like a good fit. The only issue I found is, while it's probably a good idea not to weigh you down with nothing but random battles, which means changing capturing Pokémon to using berries and Pokéball's like in Pokémon GO, there probably needed to be a little more to it. You can't just buy berries, so sometimes it just became hard to capture Pokémon because you had no way to weaken it. The wasted Pokéballs deserved better. :( 

Otherwise, it was fun, and Eevee in this game is a powerhouse. I was disappointed that you couldn't evolve the Eevee you had (similar to how you couldn't evolve Pikachu in Yellow) until I saw how they changed it. Your Eevee has higher stats, you get Eevee candy, which is like Rare Candy that boosts its levels, and certain people in different towns will give you a choice to have it learn some powerful moves only it can learn. So overall, your Eevee is going to be really strong, and I assume something similar was done in the Pikachu version.

2022 Games

Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart

Dark Souls Remastered (NG and 7/10s of a NG+ I think :p) 

The Forgotten City

Animal Crossing: New Horizons

L.A. Noire

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SaysWho? said:

Just classic Pokémon with some additions, especially post-game.  I wanted something that would get me back in the groove, and a remake of Pokémon Yellow seemed like a good fit. The only issue I found is, while it's probably a good idea not to weigh you down with nothing but random battles, which means changing capturing Pokémon to using berries and Pokéball's like in Pokémon GO, there probably needed to be a little more to it. You can't just buy berries, so sometimes it just became hard to capture Pokémon because you had no way to weaken it. The wasted Pokéballs deserved better. :( 

Otherwise, it was fun, and Eevee in this game is a powerhouse. I was disappointed that you couldn't evolve the Eevee you had (similar to how you couldn't evolve Pikachu in Yellow) until I saw how they changed it. Your Eevee has higher stats, you get Eevee candy, which is like Rare Candy that boosts its levels, and certain people in different towns will give you a choice to have it learn some powerful moves only it can learn. So overall, your Eevee is going to be really strong, and I assume something similar was done in the Pikachu version.

2022 Games

The Forgotten City

L.A. Noire

Really enjoyed that one too, wish the Pearl remake went that route, I lost interest in that one.

4 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

How did Pearl do it?

It went very strict 1:1 remake. So all the random battles, not seeing pokémon in fields, nothing new and fun with catching mon. Also went with a divisive chibi art style. I was okay with the art style at first but actually let’s go I think just nailed it for that type of remake so yeah it was a let down they didn’t just do that same trick with Pearl. I also feel the scale of the mon in general is down from Let’s Go. 

I finished Itadaki Smash, it was a decent arcade style beat ‘em up. The story is complete nonsense, the characters are weird, the same few enemy types are repeated throughout and it’s really short. But the combat is fairly fun, and I enjoyed my time with it for the most part.

2022 games

Far Cry 6

Light Fairytale Episode 1

Light Fairytale Episode 2

Raging Justice

Tormented Souls

Eight Dragons

Dungeons & Dragons: Dark Alliance

Warhammer: Chaosbane

Fuse

Antiquia Lost

Shenmue

Alice: Madness Returns

Bloodshore

Darksiders III

Itadaki Smash

Sonic Mania.

I've played through this plenty of times, but this is my first time playing it co-op.

It's so fucking fun. Being Tails and helping my partner up to secret areas was a cool shift for me since I've played exclusively first player in the game. We were able to get all the chaos emeralds just in the nick of time via the last big ring we found in the last zone, Titanic Monarch. Yay!

The updated music, the remixes in Act 2, and the all-new music are all splendid. It has probably my favorite special stage to gain chaos emeralds, including the small strategizing of, "Do I get the rings to stay alive, or do I get the spheres to up my speed?" All the new boss music is fantastic, like, holy shit, the Hard Boiled Heavies, Ruby Delusions, Ruby Illusions, and Egg Reverie are so, so, so great and stand toe to toe with the best music of the series.

And the level design for the most part doesn't try to trick you, like intentionally springing you into an enemy or something like that. It's able to pace well between the methodical areas and the fast areas, and it plays to Sonic's strength in speed marvelously.

It's just a great fucking game, and I wish we had Mania 2 already. At least we got Sonic Origins with Hidden Palace in Sonic 2 on consoles.

2022 Games

The Forgotten City

L.A. Noire

Sonic Mania

Inscryption

Until Dawn

Miles Morales
Bloodborne
Mundaun

Castlvania Collection

——————————————

Elden Ring

Holy hell, I’ve never liked a game this much before that I was so unbelievably ready for it to end. I didn’t even approach it as a completionist, I’ve barely scratched the surface on quests, characters, lore, etc.  I acquired all of the great runes, got an ending, and bounced.  

I don’t know why I felt the length of Elden Ring so much more than other similar games, I sank an equal amount of time into BotW but it didn’t feel like a chore.  Maybe it’s the inability to zone out, maybe it’s the absolute lack of any coherent thread I could grasp onto, I don’t know.  I was absolutely yoked, but the last handful of bosses I just did not give a shit and used a fully upgraded mimic tear to make my life easier because I couldn’t be bothered to try and learn the boss anymore.  I watched an ending I understood none of and walked away.  It will be a game I remember the opening 20-30 hours as being magical only to be increasingly ground away into progressively less memorable locations and enemies. Instead of being excited every time a new area opened up I just rolled my eyes because fucking of course the game isn’t over, there’s a new landmass that wasn’t even on the map before.  Not even covered by fog where I knew something would take it’s place, just a new spot where there was previously drawn in emptiness.  

I still very much enjoyed the game, and the combat was mostly gratifying until the end, but god damn I could have used 33% less game.  

2 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

Inscryption

Until Dawn

Miles Morales
Bloodborne
Mundaun

Castlvania Collection

——————————————

Elden Ring

Holy hell, I’ve never liked a game this much before that I was so unbelievably ready for it to end. I didn’t even approach it as a completionist, I’ve barely scratched the surface on quests, characters, lore, etc.  I acquired all of the great runes, got an ending, and bounced.  

I don’t know why I felt the length of Elden Ring so much more than other similar games, I sank an equal amount of time into BotW but it didn’t feel like a chore.  Maybe it’s the inability to zone out, maybe it’s the absolute lack of any coherent thread I could grasp onto, I don’t know.  I was absolutely yoked, but the last handful of bosses I just did not give a shit and see a fully upgraded mimic tear to make my life easier because I couldn’t be bothered to try and learn the boss anymore.  I watched an ending I understood none of and walked away.  It will be a game I remember the opening 20-30 hours as being magical only to be increasingly ground away into progressively less memorable locations and enemies. Instead of being excited every time a new area opened up I just rolled my eyes because fucking of course the game isn’t over, there’s a new landmass that wasn’t even on the map before.  Not even covered by fog where I knew something would take it’s place, just a new spot where there was previously drawn in emptiness.  

I still very much enjoyed the game, and the combat was mostly gratifying until the end, but god damn I could have used 33% less game.  

I completely agree with everything you said. 

Inscryption

Until Dawn

Miles Morales
Bloodborne
Mundaun

Castlvania Collection
Elden Ring

——————————

Doesn't really count as beating it because you can’t but…

Evil Dead

I was not prepared for the possibility that an Evil Dead game could come out and be… good.  This has never happened before.  Not only is it good, but it sold well and has a decent audience so finding a game is easy.  

I won’t lie, there’s a fair bit of jank at play here.  There’s no jumping and the vault option is weird so you’ll find yourself trapped behind a shin high rock sometimes.  Yesterday I lost a match partially because after marking an item it became impossible for me to move for about five minutes.  The joystick worked for everything floor menus, and I could do any other action, but no walking.  Vehicles feel completely wrong and it still feels tilted in favor of the demon.  

Still, it’s a lot of fun and just the right amount of fan service to have a lot of charm but not feel like it’s an evil dead soundboard beating you over the head for half an hour.  It’s impressive that they managed to get almost all of the old actors back in to do some voice work.  

Overall a surprisingly fun time. 

Trek to Yomi - 6/10 - it’s a pretty game. The combat is serviceable. The story isn’t great. The audio is in Japanese and the subtitles are white which in a black and white means you can’t read them often so maybe the story isn’t bad. I kind of gave up on it. It has multiple ending but I didn’t like it enough to try for the other ones. 

header.jpg?t=1653407955

I'm a huge fan of the first game, and the sequel is a worthy follow up.  It's even more inventive conceptually, has much more refined controls, and a greater helping of Double Fine's quirky adventure-game charm.  I can see why people think it was robbed of GOTY last year.  Every new world is a ride, with the most rapid inter-level tonal shifts I've seen in any game, ever.

That's also where my biggest hang ups are.  The last mental world epitomizes this: as zany as it gets conceptually, it forgets that it's a 3D platformer and not a tourist attraction.  Resistance and challenge in Psychonatus 2 gradually devolves into 'kill all to progress' enemy dumps.  It's the polar opposite of the Meat Circus in the first game, which flexes your platforming muscle.

Bosses also tend to get easier as the game continues on, culminating in a disappointing final encounter mechanically (dodge dodge dodge, shoot shoot shoot).  Linearity can be an issue as well, with many of the early worlds not giving you much to explore off the beaten path.  When so much else in the game is brilliant, these things stick out.

My favorite part was the Questionable Area, which let me scratch that exploration itch.  And while the story could be tighter (how many different times/ways did we really need the Deluge explained?), the presentation is always entertaining.  It's solid, and still one of the genre's very best.  In spite of my nitpicks, Psychonauts 2 is a must play.

9/10

Shout out to @Commissar SFLUFAN for giving it away!

Death's Door - 8.5/10

Mail Mole - 7.5/10

What the Golf? - 8/10
Psychonauts 2 - 9/10

• Like 1

header.jpg?t=1569262358

Apparently I can't get enough 3D platforming lately.

Nyakuza Metro is another Hat in Time single-level expansion.  It's a bit larger and more free-roaming, and also one of the game's best.  It's more of what I wanted from Psychonauts 2 at times actually.  The only problem is that it's a bit too easy for a post-game romp.  The Seal the Deal DLC feels a lot meatier as a result, even with fewer collectables to find.  That one should be played last.

It's a good level, but probably not worth the asking price unless its on sale, or bundled in with the larger game, which is fantastic on the whole.

7.5/10

This track though, 10/10 Earthbound vibes.

Death's Door - 8.5/10

Mail Mole - 7.5/10

What the Golf? - 8/10
Psychonauts 2 - 9/10

A Hat in Time: Nyakuza Metro DLC - 7.5/10

header.jpg?t=1633945652

I wanted to try The Last Campfire after hearing that the creators of Lost Winds worked on it.  I consider Lost Winds 2 to be an extremely underlooked gem of a game, and secretly one of the best indie Metroidvanias to this day.  It unfortunately never got the sequel it was due.

The Last Campfire doesn't quite get there, sadly.  It's a completely serviceable puzzle adventure game.  If you liked Captain Toad, you get a bit of that.  If you like tile grid block puzzles, you'll get some mildly interesting ones.  The storybook narrative and writting is pretty bad, it says a lot while simultaneously saying nothing.

But its also pretty chill and short game with good vibes.  So if you just want something to relax with, you could do much worse.  If it looks appealing to you, make sure to play a few better games with similar tone (like RiME or HoB) first.

7.5/10

Death's Door - 8.5/10

Mail Mole - 7.5/10

What the Golf? - 8/10
Psychonauts 2 - 9/10

The Last Campfire - 7.5/10

header.jpg?t=1637780220

Multiple ending simulator, the game.

I don't think I view it the way it intends to be.  If every ending is directed, then it's probably better to have fewer of them to not waste the player's time.  Once the gimmick was clear to me, I jumped on Youtube and scrubbed through the rest.  For the majority of them, the choices and journey that led to them aren't compelling.

7/10

Death's Door - 8.5/10

Mail Mole - 7.5/10

What the Golf? - 8/10
Psychonauts 2 - 9/10

The Stanley Parable - 7/10

header.jpg?t=1656001349

One of the better "walking simulators" out there.  Call of the Sea takes inspiration from Edith Finch, Firewatch, Abzu, and a dash of Myst/Witness.  But its setting, a vibrant and mysterious South Pacific Island set in the 1920's, is wholly unique.  So are the main character's motivations, to search for her husband and cure a mystery illness.  It's a great setup from the start.

Puzzles can be challenging, but mostly boil down to translating symbols you see from one format to another.  The main character will jot down any pertinent clues, so you can simply look at the notebook to piece it together.

The story also held my interest throughout.  It doesn't let the mysteries become the ultimate point of it.  It also doesn't try to take them back either, as some of the above games do.  I found that refreshing.

Only downsides are that there's still a few too many dangling plot threads, the movement is a bit too slow, and performance fluctuates at different points of the game.  PC version needed more graphic options to address this, and even the console versions aren't perfect from what I've read.

8/10

Death's Door - 8.5/10

Mail Mole - 7.5/10

What the Golf? - 8/10
Psychonauts 2 - 9/10

Call of the Sea - 8/10

Beat Klonoa 2 and Sifu this weekend and forgot to add Valhalla and Klonoa 1. Oh and the Toree games.

Ghostwire

Steel Assault

Spongebob Battle for Bikini Bottom

Star Wars Fallen Jedi

Life is Strange True Colors

Metroid Dread

Metal Slug 2

Capcom Beat Em Up Bundle (played through em all)

Mafia Definitive Edition

Elden Ring

Dying Light 2

Horizon: Forbidden West

Kirby: GOTY Edition

Goblin Sword

Final Fantasy 7 Remake

Oli Oli World

Sonic Colors

Pokemon Legends

Mail Mole

Grapple Dog

Megaman x4

Megaman x7

AC Valhalla (incl  paris and ireland dlc!)

Sifu

Toree 3D

Toree 2

Klonoa 2022 remaster

Klonoa 2 remaster

Sifu was a solid 8 and I’ll continue to replay stages, really good beat ‘em up like they don’t make much of anymore. 

Klonoa remaster is a 10 because it’s Klonoa.

• Halal 1

Been marathoning the GOW games. GOW2 is definitely a lot better at the end than 1, as the

Spoiler

underworld and Kratos clones

battle really weigh down an otherwise very well-crafted game. GOW2 might have a bit of a pacing issue with the amount of combat at the end, but even then, they try to change it up by 

Spoiler

making the Clotho boss more of a puzzle.

Really been enjoying going through this series again ahead of Ragnarok this fall.

2022 Games

The Forgotten City

L.A. Noire

Doom

Sonic Mania x2

God of War 1

God of War 2

• Halal 1

header.jpg?t=1601049348

Never played the original, but dabbled with Orta a long time ago.  This remake isn't quite as good as that game, but I can see why people appreciated the original.  It's still no Starfox 64, but what is.

The developers struck a nice balance between modern visuals and Sega arcade cheese, for lack of better word.  Feels like they targeted Switch, but it still looks good, and on a half-decade old GPU I was able to max out at 4k60.  The biggest visual downside is that several cutscenes are pre-rendered at Switch resolution.

Overall, it's a fun hour and half romp, worth the $2.50 I paid for it.  Felt pretty easy with the credit system in place (was this in the original?).  Hopefully Sega greenlights Zwei next.  And make the dragon a bit smaller, it takes up too much screen space for a rail shooter like this.

7.5/10

Death's Door - 8.5/10

Mail Mole - 7.5/10

What the Golf? - 8/10
Psychonauts 2 - 9/10