Sonic Frontiers - November 8, 2022

Keyser_Soze

5 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Mario Odyssey

Racket & Clank: A Rift Apart (beautiful though!)

Sackboy: A Big Adventure  

They are all charming in their own right, but they don't hold my attention long. 

Mario Odyssey makes me think you won’t like this still, BUT there is a find cool tricks and pull them off tony hawk type element along with the Sonic Adventure style stages and you said you liked those games soooo

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

Mario Odyssey makes me think you won’t like this still, BUT there is a find cool tricks and pull them off tony hawk type element along with the Sonic Adventure style stages and you said you liked those games soooo

Yes, that's it, keep helping me believe! :daydream:

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Yes, that's it, keep helping me believe! :daydream:

Well, I’m biased because I really want copies sold lol. I want this to sell well so they actually just improve on this model and refine it and also that it continues to get a budget and doesn’t go back to Lost World “rails on a 2D background” graphics!

• Hugs 1

2 minutes ago, stepee said:

Well, I’m biased because I really want copies sold lol. I want this to sell well so they actually just improve on this model and refine it and also that it continues to get a budget and doesn’t go back to Lost World “rails on a 2D background” graphics!

We both know I'm gonna do it brother! :lol:

• Haha 2

I always wanted to run around as Sonic and explore like when Mario went 3D but all we’ve gotten after all these years are some hub areas you slow run through and the closest being the hub area in Sonic Jam really. So it’s pretty cool to finally have this and at least control wise they seemed to have really figured out how to do this.

• Halal 1

6 minutes ago, stepee said:

I always wanted to run around as Sonic and explore like when Mario went 3D but all we’ve gotten after all these years are some hub areas you slow run through and the closest being the hub area in Sonic Jam really. So it’s pretty cool to finally have this and at least control wise they seemed to have really figured out how to do this.

I remember the porotype shots of Sonic for Saturn and was really excited to run free! As it turns out, that was going to take a minute... 

...huh.

I picked this up fully expecting to have a laugh at the janky ass Unreal Engine Tutorial open world and refund it, but I played it for like 4 hours straight. I think I kind of really like it? What the fuck? I never liked Sonic games, not even the "good" ones.

I think that's probably down to it not really feeling like a Sonic game. The characters aren't yapping constantly, and have less grating voices. There's no annoying ass tutorial character with some verbal tic trying to make me stab my eyes out, the combat, especially against bosses in the open world... is actually really good? Because Sonic has a good and fun fighting kit??

And the "proper" Sonic levels have all been real good so far, though I've only done 3. I got stuck trying to S-Rank 1-2 for a while with default stats and just baaarely managed to pull it off. I never care about ranks in Sonic or even mastering the levels because I usually find Sonic kind of unfun to control and the level design always seems to be counter to the concept of speed, but not here. It's fun to make the little bastard go fast and if something is slowing you down, you can usually find a way to get around it without slowing down. The music in the stages seems good, the music in the overworld is really damn weird and along with the aforementioned Unreal Engine Tutorial Island vibe just has this bizarre ethereal feel, especially with how quiet it can be outside of combat.

Sonic animates really nicely as well, his moves all feel good and have a good sense of momentum and weight. There's still some jank because it's still a Sonic game, but nothing so far has felt anywhere near as bad as watching those fucking awful preview videos. Maybe they just didn't know how to show the game off properly.

The open world exploration has been enjoyable. Simple puzzles and secret all over the place makes it satisfying, rewarding, and not confusing. It's like a condensed BotW world, but obviously not as good or as lovingly crafted... but better than I would've expected given the really bland look of the place.

So in short, it's fun to do the real stages, fun to do the open world, fun to do the combat... I don't have any major gameplay complaints so far, and for a Sonic game, that's unusual as hell for me.

Oh, there are some negatives though. Very few graphics options, when it comes to FPS, only an option between 30 and 60 (though no stutter at 60, so it feels smoother than other games lately) and although ultrawide resolutions are listed, it plays with black bars. Not a big deal but I hope these things get modded or patched. Would look nice at 120+ and proper ultrawide. And cutscenes are locked to 30 FPS, not like there are many to begin with.

Unless the game is super short or shits the bed later on (shitting the bed as the game goes on is unfortunately super common in Sonic games) then this'll have been my biggest surprise in years.

Here's that 1-2 I worked so hard on. I got an S-Rank on 1-1 after several tries, and on 1-3 on my first try, but this one was hard as hell, maybe I was missing something? In any case, they ain't handing out S-Ranks for free in this game.

• Thanks 1
  • Halal 1
  • Hugs 1

26 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

...huh.

I picked this up fully expecting to have a laugh at the janky ass Unreal Engine Tutorial open world and refund it, but I played it for like 4 hours straight. I think I kind of really like it? What the fuck? I never liked Sonic games, not even the "good" ones.

I think that's probably down to it not really feeling like a Sonic game. The characters aren't yapping constantly, and have less grating voices. There's no annoying ass tutorial character with some verbal tic trying to make me stab my eyes out, the combat, especially against bosses in the open world... is actually really good? Because Sonic has a good and fun fighting kit??

And the "proper" Sonic levels have all been real good so far, though I've only done 3. I got stuck trying to S-Rank 1-2 for a while with default stats and just baaarely managed to pull it off. I never care about ranks in Sonic or even mastering the levels because I usually find Sonic kind of unfun to control and the level design always seems to be counter to the concept of speed, but not here. It's fun to make the little bastard go fast and if something is slowing you down, you can usually find a way to get around it without slowing down. The music in the stages seems good, the music in the overworld is really damn weird and along with the aforementioned Unreal Engine Tutorial Island vibe just has this bizarre ethereal feel, especially with how quiet it can be outside of combat.

Sonic animates really nicely as well, his moves all feel good and have a good sense of momentum and weight. There's still some jank because it's still a Sonic game, but nothing so far has felt anywhere near as bad as watching those fucking awful preview videos. Maybe they just didn't know how to show the game off properly.

The open world exploration has been enjoyable. Simple puzzles and secret all over the place makes it satisfying, rewarding, and not confusing. It's like a condensed BotW world, but obviously not as good or as lovingly crafted... but better than I would've expected given the really bland look of the place.

So in short, it's fun to do the real stages, fun to do the open world, fun to do the combat... I don't have any major gameplay complaints so far, and for a Sonic game, that's unusual as hell for me.

Oh, there are some negatives though. Very few graphics options, when it comes to FPS, only an option between 30 and 60 (though no stutter at 60, so it feels smoother than other games lately) and although ultrawide resolutions are listed, it plays with black bars. Not a big deal but I hope these things get modded or patched. Would look nice at 120+ and proper ultrawide. And cutscenes are locked to 30 FPS, not like there are many to begin with.

Unless the game is super short or shits the bed later on (shitting the bed as the game goes on is unfortunately super common in Sonic games) then this'll have been my biggest surprise in years.

Here's that 1-2 I worked so hard on. I got an S-Rank on 1-1 after several tries, and on 1-3 on my first try, but this one was hard as hell, maybe I was missing something? In any case, they ain't handing out S-Ranks for free in this game.

When I saw you in the thread I knew you would like this before you posted! It has that kind of gameplay you can experiment and really “play” with and honestly the whole of the game ends up being something pretty unique. 

But yeah the combat actually being fun is a hell of a thing for a Sonic game! 

It generally seems more “thoughtful” in design than normal Sonic. A lot of the things you mentioned, like how it opens, the voice changes, it just seems less out of touch than normal? Usually it’s just they do whatever they feel like and it’s sloppy, it seems like they have direction here from someone more familiar with gaming in 2022.

26 minutes ago, ShreddieMercuryRising said:

Can't wait to play this.  Still working my way through Bayonetta 3.  Feeling so lucky to have two games that are this fun and this good after having been lukewarm on most new games for the past couple of years.

If you are looking for a game where you can kind of zone out and just have fun pure gameplay opportunities all over the place, pulling off cool moves and exploring, you’re gonna have a blast! 

I played a few hours on deck last night and it runs fine at 30fps (it could probably do 40fps but it glitches with anything past 30fps for some reason with weird flashing) maxed out except shadows on low. It’s really smooth and looks great for a handheld game. What I’m saying is @Brianwait for a nice deep sale and buy it there.

• Thanks 1

A quick 30 second hex edit (I've become very familiar with HxD thanks to Square Enix's many bungled releases) fixes the ultrawide support and a cheat engine table where you check a box and type in your desired framerate fixes the FPS cap!

3yM9k8y.png

Game plays even better at 144 FPS and looks just fine in ultrawide to boot!

Apparently uncapping has the side effect of making a single specific boss (the second one) and a single level (4-5 or 5-4 or something) impossible, but you can just disable it for those. Also light speed dashes can get very slightly weird sometimes, but nothing game-breaking, no sped up physics, no other side effects at all that I can see. They could easily patch both of these things in bug-free if they really wanted to, and I expect the very minor issues they do have to be fixed by the community sooner rather than later.

In any case, the experience is now dramatically more enjoyable!

• Like 1

Game straight up has a Breath of the Wild blood moon mechanic, happens every few days, respawns enemies. :lol: On the plus side, it also adds a little mini-game to get a lot of fishing currency.

On that note, you should probably do the fishing when you come across it. It's kinda alright, pretty relaxing, and has a bunch of fuckin' lore items in it! The entire concept of this post is far beyond what I ever imagined writing about a Sonic game. Blood moon mechanics, fun fishing, fishing currency, LORE. Sonic Team finally discovered crack or something I guess.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

Game straight up has a Breath of the Wild blood moon mechanic, happens every few days, respawns enemies. :lol: On the plus side, it also adds a little mini-game to get a lot of fishing currency.

On that note, you should probably do the fishing when you come across it. It's kinda alright, pretty relaxing, and has a bunch of fuckin' lore items in it! The entire concept of this post is far beyond what I ever imagined writing about a Sonic game. Blood moon mechanics, fun fishing, fishing currency, LORE. Sonic Team finally discovered crack or something I guess.

I love Big so you know I’m out there fishin.

14 hours ago, Xbob42 said:

A quick 30 second hex edit (I've become very familiar with HxD thanks to Square Enix's many bungled releases) fixes the ultrawide support and a cheat engine table where you check a box and type in your desired framerate fixes the FPS cap!

3yM9k8y.png

Game plays even better at 144 FPS and looks just fine in ultrawide to boot!

Apparently uncapping has the side effect of making a single specific boss (the second one) and a single level (4-5 or 5-4 or something) impossible, but you can just disable it for those. Also light speed dashes can get very slightly weird sometimes, but nothing game-breaking, no sped up physics, no other side effects at all that I can see. They could easily patch both of these things in bug-free if they really wanted to, and I expect the very minor issues they do have to be fixed by the community sooner rather than later.

In any case, the experience is now dramatically more enjoyable!

yupppp just did this, now we talking. Colors even supported 120fps (i think specifically, not unlocked) at least so I’m not sure what is with that step backwards!

He doesn’t mean it in the way that headline tries to make it seem. It’s just a language barrier thing, he is obviously just talking about seeing peoples reactions and keepking them in mind for future entries. Makes sense. They are trying to spin it like this release is a beta and they will be making huge changes to it or smtn.

@stepee I fuckin bought this with no regrets! I've been going back and forth with this and GOW and Sonic is very good. I'm only like 2 hours in but it's really well done for the genre with beautiful music and satisfying gameplay. The pop-in doesn't bother me at all and the camera is not as bad as reviews make it out to seem. 

I've loved Sonic my whole life and this is the best 3d version I've played yet!

I'm glad you got a great 3D sonic game because I know you're a huge fan.

• Like 1