Sonic Frontiers - November 8, 2022

Keyser_Soze

30 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

That...didn't look fun. 

Agreed. Maybe it's because I haven't really played a Sonic title for years now (also was never the biggest fan of the franchise to begin with), but I was getting serious BOTW vibes from it; almost a Breath of the Sonic type of deal. Even the music felt that way, and the gameplay in general seems fine overall, but I almost get the impression a franchise like Sonic does not benefit an open world setting. But this is only a few min of first gameplay, so I'd like to be wrong.

Looks wise, it also looks fine, but texture pop-in is quite noticeable, and noticing the framerate was at only 30fps, made me think they were showing the Switch version. lol

• Halal 1

That wasn’t a Sonic game and it has some pretty bad pop ups there in the gameplay. I know still early but what the hell are you suppose to do but run and hope you discover something. It looked bland and Sonic I think really only works in the 2/2.5D gameplay style. Sonic is all about speed and that looked more like a child on a sugar high, crashing, high and slowly calming down again. I still have some control issues with the gameplay, but wish it stayed closer to the Dreamcast Adventure series of games instead.

I was impressed with the texture pop as well, what system was this running on? I just hope Sonic is fun to control, if he’s fun to control this will probably be at least decent. I still feel there is something more we aren’t seeing yet or something that doesn’t click until you play it. But also I allow myself to engage in the sonic cycle every time and I recently beat Lost World and found a lot to like there so whatevas.

Edit: I’m kinda of wondering still if “stages” will be weaved in here.

1 hour ago, imthesoldier said:

Even the music felt that way, and the gameplay in general seems fine overall, but I almost get the impression a franchise like Sonic does not benefit an open world setting. But this is only a few min of first gameplay, so I'd like to be wrong.

As someone who has struggled to really gel with the ‘boost’ sonic games, I can see how their approach here could work out.  Because Sonic games have always struggled with stop-and-go syndrome, in both 3D and 2D.  They’ve never been elegant.  Making an open world jungle gym where you only really stop when you decide to has some potential, I think.

I don’t believe that open world design is the answer for most games … quite the opposite.  But that footage did convince me that this could work on some level.

This looks soooo fucking weird! What is with the music lol. I’m so day1 for this, I have no idea what they are trying to do with this and I’m not sure if they do either but I’m intrigued. 

These videos seem like a TERRIBLE way to introduce the game. They would have been much better with a normal 2 minute trailer that shows it off. I don’t want to watch someone wander around for minutes on end in any game ever.

4 minutes ago, stepee said:

This looks soooo fucking weird! What is with the music lol. I’m so day1 for this, I have no idea what they are trying to do with this and I’m not sure if they do either but I’m intrigued. 

These videos seem like a TERRIBLE way to introduce the game. They would have been much better with a normal 2 minute trailer that shows it off. I don’t want to watch someone wander around for minutes on end in any game ever.

Sega executive be like, “kids love twitch so let’s release videos of our worst employee playing the game to generate hype.”  Give us a tight 2 minute trailer and drop a demo. It ain’t hard Sega. 

• True 1

20 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Sega executive be like, “kids love twitch so let’s release videos of our worst employee playing the game to generate hype.”  Give us a tight 2 minute trailer and drop a demo. It ain’t hard Sega. 

lol right

9 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

They chose this gameplay video to get people interested in the game? It did the opposite for me, those enemies look really annoying to fight. While the game world looks nice, the game itself doesn’t look all that much fun IMO.

• Thanks 1

On 6/3/2022 at 7:09 PM, crispy4000 said:

I'll stand my comments that running around in this game looks fun.  But the combat ... yikes.  It looks atrocious

Damage sponge enemies is an open world trope they should have discarded.

I thought the running looked weird and slow.

12 hours ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

Might as well rename it to “A Sonic Love Letter to @stepee, our last fan”

Definitely weird and slow.

10 hours ago, silentbob said:

I have sort of held back on my main story gameplay in hopes this would be announced soonish. I want nostalgia and I’ll get that once again my buddies can jump online with me for campaign. 

Wrong thread, maybe?

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

I thought the running looked weird and slow.

Definitely weird and slow.

It looks faster than Lost World to me, but still more controllable than the Boost Sonic games, less jank than the Knuckles stages in SA2.

The most awkward bits are when he has to stop to climb, or when he runs over terrain that is jagged without any sort of resistance.  Some momentum inconsistencies too.

9 hours ago, thedarkstark said:

I know I am probably in the minority but I actually really enjoyed the sonic adventure games on dreamcast, wish we could get something like that again

Sonic Adventure wasn't a bad game ar all. 

There have been many average to good games in the series since Genesis. This one doesn't look to be even Good, so far. 

They should delay a year at minimum, and find a hook that makes the game present as fun.

Sonic Adventure is very good and still the best 3D Sonic game and actually a great first attempt at bringing him into 3D. So of course they decided to never try it again with just improving the general formula. They jumped immediately to more strictly level based with SA2 but it was still good, just a step down. Then they kept trying new things that didn’t work over and over with the exceptions of Generations (but I don’t think there is a need for another one that style) and to some degree Colors. 

Thats my general impression of the 3D Sonic series as a whole and I’m a huge fan.

On 6/1/2022 at 4:45 PM, stepee said:

I was impressed with the texture pop as well, what system was this running on? I just hope Sonic is fun to control, if he’s fun to control this will probably be at least decent. I still feel there is something more we aren’t seeing yet or something that doesn’t click until you play it. But also I allow myself to engage in the sonic cycle every time and I recently beat Lost World and found a lot to like there so whatevas.

Edit: I’m kinda of wondering still if “stages” will be weaved in here.

So apparently my edit was correct and that is indeed the case. Yet somehow this is how they show the game. My goodness their marketing team is horrible.

• 2 months later...