Sonic Frontiers - November 8, 2022

Keyser_Soze

• Keyser_Soze changed the title to Sonic Frontiers - November 8, 2022
  • 2 weeks later...

All I’m gonna say is “Come on Gamepass” 

ok I’ll say a few more words. There is still something about this game that still bothers me and have no interest in buying it. The combat is odd and not Sonic and I don’t want him to learn abilities. Just let him be fast and some shields like the old games. Seeing him run around enemies to destroy just doesn’t work. Reminds me of my dog trying to get me to take him for a walk. 

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I've still got so many sonic games on the backlog (Generations, Lost World, finishing Colors), but boost era Sonic has never appealed to me as much in the little I've tried.

Even if this isn't perfect, I'm really glad they went a new direction.  Hopefully a sequel (or PC mod) can fix the pop-in.

12 minutes ago, stepee said:

Damn 75 opencritic for a Sonic game, that’s basically the same thing as a 10/10! Definitely looking forward to checking this out tomorrow, hope it runs well on deck.

You're not totally off on that.  Critics collectively dump on 3D Sonic as something middling to painfully average.  Even Colors and Generations couldn't crack an 80 average.

Might as well add a full point to the scale if you've enjoyed these games in the past.

It looks like it has some fun gameplay, but the open world zones look kind of barren, bland and colorless which I personally find unappealing especially for a Sonic game. The pop-in in those zones look somewhat game hindering as well considering the fast pace of the game. It still looks entertaining enough to me to maybe get when it’s $20 or less, but that’s about it.

Real video game criticism has ceased to exist at this point because Metacritic is just another cog in the marketing machine.  Gamers lack the critical thinking (and reading and writing) ability that's necessary to properly evaluate the quality of something as multidimensional as a video game.  A review or critique does not matter, it's now the aggregate that people singularly focus on.  It's pathetic and has contributed to the rotten, milquetoast state of the industry. 

What I'm saying here is, GOTY.

1 hour ago, Phaseknox said:

It looks like it has some fun gameplay, but the open world zones look kind of barren, bland and colorless which I personally find unappealing especially for a Sonic game. The pop-in in those zones look somewhat game hindering as well considering the fast pace of the game. It still looks entertaining enough to me to maybe get when it’s $20 or less, but that’s about it.

So you're saying if you played as Amy it would be worth $60 day one purchase? :sickos:

There are fun tricks to do everywhere and movement feels great. Only played up through the first two cyber stages but the first impression has me super excited. It’s great seeing Sonic with a budget again! The budget got lowwwww this last decade up until now.

Just now, stepee said:

There are fun tricks to do everywhere and movement feels great. Only played up through the first two cyber stages but the first impression has me super excited. It’s great seeing Sonic with a budget again! The budget got lowwwww this last decade up until now.

How is the pop in?! 

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

How is the pop in?! 

Hopefully you are nostalgic for Sega and appreciate Model 2 era pop in!

Honestly it’s the view distance that is more noticeable to me, but on pc it’s the same as everywhere else. Hopefully mods fix that or even an ini tweek maybe is all is needed. It’s not overly distracting though, it just should be better.

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

I'm feeling it!

Best Daytona Usa GIFs | Gfycat

Exactly!

Other negative would be there is a 60fps lock, so I’ll have to use cheat engine to make it 120fps it seems. Weird after Colors supported 120 natively. 

BUT it seems to perform fine, it’s limited but it’s smooth. Not noticing even the slightest shader compilation stutter or anything which would suck for this game. Even the fps lock seems evenly paced.

Hmmmm.... Rational brain says: Vic, you haven't enjoyed a platformer in over a decade! 

Semi rational brain says: Knack was OK. 

Irrational brain says: Remember the Sonic Adventures buddy?! You loved Sonic Adventures! P.S. your Dreamcast misses you!

hand drifts slowly toward purchase button... :vortex:

Just now, Mr.Vic20 said:

Hmmmm.... Rational brain says: Vic, you haven't enjoyed a platformer in over a decade! 

Semi rational brain says: Knack was OK. 

Irrational brain says: Remember the Sonic Adventures buddy?! You loved Sonic Adventures! P.S. your Dreamcast misses you!

hand drifts slowly toward purchase button... :vortex:

That's a lot of thought. I figured you just automatically skip to the last part. :p

• Haha 2