Chrono Cross remake in the works question mark?

Fizzzzle

I think it would be a fun game to revisit. I remember not liking Shadow Hearts because I couldn't get into the combat, but now he feels good. I don't think I've actually tried getting into Chrono Cross since like 2006. A lot of people swear by the game. Not to say it's better than Chrono Trigger, but that's hardly saying anything as Chrono trigger is basically as close as you can get to a perfect game.

I remember reading about this a month or so ago with the nVidia Now (or whatever it's called) leaks. As much as I've always wanted a high quality Chrono Trigger remake, when I really think about it, this game needs it far worse. Chrono Trigger remains absolutely perfectly paced with excellent combat and a pretty damn good translation, on top of finely aged visuals. 

On the other hand, music aside nearly every facet of Chrono Cross has aged like a banana in a dryer. The game even when it was new was not some game changer like Trigger was. I remember quite clearly excitedly putting the game in my Playstation and experiencing utter devastation-level disappointment. It's like they immediately forgot what made Trigger so good: battles not just with no load times, but no transitions into battle period. A simple but very fun combat system that opens up and changes somewhat based on party makeup, and a story that starts as basic (but fun and lively) as stories get, then quickly becomes a time traveling adventure that's just super fun.

Cross was the opposite. Long load times into weird ass battles that weren't even slightly fun, story doing a lame cold open, leaving you a little confused from the get-go, it just was unpleasant for me.

It also felt WAY too Final Fantasy because of the prerendered backgrounds. It just liked like any other Square game of the time, whereas while Chrono Trigger had a very JRPG look, the Dragon Ball style art helped set it apart a bit. 

In short, I would love for this to finally be my chance to experience Chrono Cross for real, assuming it's not just a shitty remaster. 

I enjoyed it and wanted to do a replay at some point. Even a basic remaster should be more convenient than setting up AI upscaling with the original but looking at SaGa Frontier Remastered screens and upscaled Chrono Cross screens, the Trials of Mana treatment would be much better.

I don't think I would have been able to finish the game without a guide because of how the final boss fight works.

On 11/24/2021 at 3:54 AM, Xbob42 said:

I remember reading about this a month or so ago with the nVidia Now (or whatever it's called) leaks. As much as I've always wanted a high quality Chrono Trigger remake, when I really think about it, this game needs it far worse. Chrono Trigger remains absolutely perfectly paced with excellent combat and a pretty damn good translation, on top of finely aged visuals. 

On the other hand, music aside nearly every facet of Chrono Cross has aged like a banana in a dryer. The game even when it was new was not some game changer like Trigger was. I remember quite clearly excitedly putting the game in my Playstation and experiencing utter devastation-level disappointment. It's like they immediately forgot what made Trigger so good: battles not just with no load times, but no transitions into battle period. A simple but very fun combat system that opens up and changes somewhat based on party makeup, and a story that starts as basic (but fun and lively) as stories get, then quickly becomes a time traveling adventure that's just super fun.

Cross was the opposite. Long load times into weird ass battles that weren't even slightly fun, story doing a lame cold open, leaving you a little confused from the get-go, it just was unpleasant for me.

It also felt WAY too Final Fantasy because of the prerendered backgrounds. It just liked like any other Square game of the time, whereas while Chrono Trigger had a very JRPG look, the Dragon Ball style art helped set it apart a bit. 

In short, I would love for this to finally be my chance to experience Chrono Cross for real, assuming it's not just a shitty remaster. 

Yeah  I don't, for one second, believe they can make Chrono Trigger better. Remaking it would ruin the incredible pacing with bloat that can only hurt it. Plus, doing it wrong would be deserving of Seppuku for everyone involved. Chrono Cross, not so much.

9 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Yeah  I don't, for one second, believe they can make Chrono Trigger better. Remaking it would ruin the incredible pacing with bloat that can only hurt it. Plus, doing it wrong would be deserving of Seppuku for everyone involved. Chrono Cross, not so much.

I think Yoshi-P could easily lead a team to make a better version of Chrono Trigger. At least story-wise.