US to build giant space vacuum cleaner

The dumbest idea I've heard is to just pull it out of the air, compress it until it becomes liquid CO2, and then injecting it into retired oil fields.  This seems like a recipe for disaster, as sabotage or failure of the containment would just lead to this CO2 quickly escaping back into the atmosphere.  Not only would this cancel out all of the gains you made by pumping millions of tons out of out the atmosphere, it would be extremely hazardous to anyone nearby the leak. Just look at what happened in Africa in the 1980s from a natural release of CO2.

Carbon capture all has to include transformation of the carbon into some sort of stable solid, otherwise it's just a waste.

12 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

The dumbest idea I've heard is to just pull it out of the air, compress it until it becomes liquid CO2, and then injecting it into retired oil fields.  This seems like a recipe for disaster, as sabotage or failure of the containment would just lead to this CO2 quickly escaping back into the atmosphere.  Not only would this cancel out all of the gains you made by pumping millions of tons out of out the atmosphere, it would be extremely hazardous to anyone nearby the leak. Just look at what happened in Africa in the 1980s from a natural release of CO2.

Carbon capture all has to include transformation of the carbon into some sort of stable solid, otherwise it's just a waste.

yep. Injecting liquid co2 into oil wells is also what carbon capture and storage on coal and gas plants looks like lmao

4 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

yep. Injecting liquid co2 into oil wells is also what carbon capture and storage on coal and gas plants looks like lmao

The counter-argument to the dumb idea of putting CO2 underground (where it can escape in the future) essentially boils down to:

"Well what if it gets loose?"

"It won't!"

1 minute ago, Patatat said:

Algae...

The problem with algae, or pretty much anything that is NOT a tree, is that is after it dies, it decomposes, and turns back into CO2. Trees can lock the carbon into solid form for centuries whether the tree is alive or dead. 

Algae is important though, as it might become an alternative source of fuel that can replace gasoline or diesel.  And it would be carbon neutral, too. 

6 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

The problem with algae, or pretty much anything that is NOT a tree, is that is after it dies, it decomposes, and turns back into CO2. Trees can lock the carbon into solid form for centuries whether the tree is alive or dead. 

Algae is important though, as it might become an alternative source of fuel that can replace gasoline or diesel.  And it would be carbon neutral, too. 

Where are the GMO trees at?!

WWW.CHINADAILY.COM.CN

Chinese scientists have created starch, a type of complex carbohydrate found in plants, using carbon dioxide, hydrogen and electricity, according to a study published in the journal Science on Friday.

Something along these lines is the future of carbon emission capture and processing.

23 minutes ago, Patatat said:

Algae...

This solution is not an easy one to deploy, however, because algal blooms bring many problems to the local ecosystems. Often referred to as harmful algal blooms (HABs), these rapidly growing algae clusters are devastating to the oceanic communities they touch. They increase acidity, lower temperature, and severely deplete oxygen levels in waters they grow in [9]. Most lifeforms aren’t prepared to handle environmental changes that push them out of their niches, so it’s easy to see why HABs kill significant portions of marine life.

green-2798160_1920.jpg
AGGIETRANSCRIPT.UCDAVIS.EDU

By Robert Polon, Biological Sciences Major, ’21 Author’s Note: In my UWP 102B class, we were assigned the task of constructing a literary review on any biology-related topic of our choice. A year ago, in my EVE 101 class, my professor briefly mentioned the idea that algae could be used to sequester atmospheric carbon dioxide

21 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

WWW.MSN.COM

Wildfires have unleashed 4.7 gigatons of CO2 so far in 2021, compared to 2.7 gigatons released by the EU, according to the International Energy Agency. Massive blazes in Siberia are a major factor.

20 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Just now, Remarkableriots said:
green-2798160_1920.jpg
AGGIETRANSCRIPT.UCDAVIS.EDU

By Robert Polon, Biological Sciences Major, ’21 Author’s Note: In my UWP 102B class, we were assigned the task of constructing a literary review on any biology-related topic of our choice. A year ago, in my EVE 101 class, my professor...

I would imagine self contained algae farms so as not to harm the ocean/freshwater sources would eventually be possible

And yeah as stated if the trees have the potential to burn anyway it doesn't necessarily do you all that much good. I suppose picking the right biomes for tree farms would help but trees are pretty high maintenance (trimming, brush removal, etc). Even somewhere with historically high rainfall can turn into a tinderbox if not managed properly

Like people are trying their hardest to repopulate rainforests (ideal biome) but are failing in terms of overall carbon burn. Like the energy put into tree farms is pretty carbon intensive iirc.

35 minutes ago, sblfilms said:
WWW.CHINADAILY.COM.CN

Chinese scientists have created starch, a type of complex carbohydrate found in plants, using carbon dioxide, hydrogen and electricity, according to a study published in the journal Science on Friday.

Something along these lines is the future of carbon emission capture and processing.

the catch, unsaid, is that it requires more energy in to create starch or any other complex carbohydrate than is generated by burning hydrocarbons to begin with. the enthalpy of combustion is highly favorable towards the production of heat and CO2 so unless they've discovered a very good catalyst it's a major energy sink. The whole situation would be easier to manage by simply not burning hydrocarbons in the first place but as i understand it that is generally off the table politically

11 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

the catch, unsaid, is that it requires more energy in to create starch or any other complex carbohydrate than is generated by burning hydrocarbons to begin with. the enthalpy of combustion is highly favorable towards the production of heat and CO2 so unless they've discovered a very good catalyst it's a major energy sink. The whole situation would be easier to manage by simply not burning hydrocarbons in the first place but as i understand it that is generally off the table politically

If only we had energy sources that aren’t generated by hydrocarbons 

IF ONLY

12 hours ago, sblfilms said:
WWW.CHINADAILY.COM.CN

Plus everyone will have great-looking collars.

hh.jpg