Microsoft reportedly paid $100 million for one year of "Rise of the Tomb Raider" exclusivity

Commissar SFLUFAN

Uhh... didn't it only sell like a million copies in its first year? Even if MS got 100% of every purchase (which obviously they wouldn't as it's SE's game) and every purchase was full price, they'd still be down $40 million. What a terrible deal. I doubt it brought in many people, either.

I know the point of an exclusivity deal isn't short-term gains, but this just seems like a terrible pick.

32 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Uhh... didn't it only sell like a million copies in its first year? Even if MS got 100% of every purchase (which obviously they wouldn't as it's SE's game) and every purchase was full price, they'd still be down $40 million. What a terrible deal. I doubt it brought in many people, either.

I know the point of an exclusivity deal isn't short-term gains, but this just seems like a terrible pick.

But you gotta look at Microsoft’s bigger picture outlook too, and it very well could of been a smart move on their end. People would have to buy their system to play the game, which leads to some buying Xbox live memberships, game accessories, and other system exclusive games.

1 hour ago, Xbob42 said:

But Tomb Raider?

This is practically a bargain compared to Epic's 6 month-long EGS exclusivity deal for Borderlands 3 :p

borderlands-3-review.jpg
WWW.PCGAMESN.COM

The legal drama between Epic and Apple has revealed exactly what Epic paid for Borderlands 3 to be an exclusive

I read the 100 million probably includes the marketing budget and up front guaranteed sales money up to a certain quantity.

Still doesn't sound like a good deal regardless, but probably played a big part in why Phil Spencer said he's not a fan of spending money on times exclusivity deals rather than investing in their own IPs and studios.