Saints Row (PlayStation/Xbox/PC - EGS) - Information Thread, update: significant update on May 9 will overhaul practically every aspect of the game

Commissar SFLUFAN

This game is deceptively fun and I'm convinced it got killed by reviewers because its percieved as being "too woke" by butthurt incels. One wird bug I keep getting. Sometimes when I load into the game it randomly switches my voice from male 3 to female 2. It's very disconcerting consdering my character pretty much looks like me :p

5 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I mean you should wait if you're playing other games... no rush to buy it and like @Keyser_Soze said, it will probably be on Gamepass soon. Out of the three Watchdog games it's probably the best one... if not the second best one. If you liked the first two games you'll like this one then. And the DLC for it ties into both previous games.  it's a very pretty game with GREAT lighting in areas on the XSX. i know you like pretty games so it's definitely one you should check out.

Well I bought Watchdogs Legion's this evening. I played for 4 hours straight! It's a ton of fun and the visuals and city are remarkable. I am putting games on hold until I beat this. Thanks so much for recommending me this game. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Well I bought Watchdogs Legion's this evening. I played for 4 hours straight! It's a ton of fun and the visuals and city are remarkable. I am putting games on hold until I beat this. Thanks so much for recommending me this game. 

Glad you're enjoying it but you're putting Saints Row on hold for it? It's fun and you get attached to your squad of recruits. I recommend getting a Hitman recruit ASAP. Also I hope you got the season pass because the DLC is pretty damn good too.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

Well I bought Watchdogs Legion's this evening. I played for 4 hours straight! It's a ton of fun and the visuals and city are remarkable. I am putting games on hold until I beat this.

Why did you stop playing Saints Row to play this? Are you liking it more? While it’s good, I like Saints Row more myself.

7 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

This game is deceptively fun and I'm convinced it got killed by reviewers because its percieved as being "too woke" by butthurt incels. One wird bug I keep getting. Sometimes when I load into the game it randomly switches my voice from male 3 to female 2. It's very disconcerting consdering my character pretty much looks like me :p

I mean, the most "woke" gaming sites gave it horrible reviews, so I don't believe this. Blessing Jr quit playing a few hours in, SnowbikeMike gave it 2/5, those guys certainly aren't incels. VGC, PushSquare, etc, all trashed it. 

Also, it got killed because the version reviewers were playing was broken. After Cyberpunk, there is no way reviewers are going to be ok with, "It will be fixed for the D1P". What little reputation they have left is on the line after giving 2077 a 90 metacritic at launch.

Ill play it when its on GP, because most people genuinely seem to think it's not a very good game. I just wouldn't spend 70$ on it. I'm definitely glad you guys are enjoying yourself, but personally, every cut scene ive seen looked, well, not very good, and the gameplay looks middling.

5 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Why did you stop playing Saints Row to play this? Are you liking it more? While it’s good, I like Saints Row more myself.

I'm playing Saints Row and Watchdogs. Good games to juggle back and forth for me. I'm still loving Saints! Believe me. I didn't mean what I said above about putting other games on hold.

3 hours ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Because @skillzdadirecta aroused the graphics whore in Best and he just had to jump in. :p

lol, you know me too well!

• Halal 1

3 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

This review legit made me laugh a few times, especially when he adds the laugh/audience track to the cutscenes 

This is yet another negative review for the game from someone that made their character look like a complete and stupid joke. It sure is funny how every negative reviewer does that, while every positive reviewer makes their character look somewhat normal and/or cool looking. Gee, I wonder why that is?

I personally didn’t really find that dry sarcastic attempt at humor review very funny. Maybe I would have a little bit if he was the first person to point out that the beginning story scene in the game is like a sitcom (which is intentional) and add a laugh track to it, but he wasn’t. So I already saw that same joke done a few times in other reviews, and I admit that I did laugh the first time.

All this guy did was complain about gameplay elements that only he has a problem with, and bugs and glitches that don’t exist anymore after the latest update. I actually haven’t experienced any of the things that he was mocking except for the takedown animations sometimes being off because the takedowns were done when the player or enemy were near or on a ledge or object.

I will say that I do prefer these types of comedic mocking reviews to the more serious negative ones, because they’re at least a little funny and less mean-spirited which is better than people just flat out trashing the game with their exaggerated and hyperbolic opinions.

1 hour ago, BloodyHell said:

Ill play it when its on GP, because most people genuinely seem to think it's not a very good game. I just wouldn't spend 70$ on it. I'm definitely glad you guys are enjoying yourself, but personally, every cut scene ive seen looked, well, not very good, and the gameplay looks middling.

It’s a good game if you take it for what it is which is a throwback to past generation third person urban open world action games in look, design and gameplay. It’s not a big budget AAA blockbuster, it’s a AA game in terms of budget and production values. It won’t be worth full price to a lot of people for that reason, but I personally really like these types of games so it is to me. Its story and characters aren’t its strongest area, its gameplay and fun factor are. Its gameplay and mechanics are admittedly a bit archaic and dated, but still enjoyable IMO.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

This is yet another negative review for the game from someone that made their character look like a complete and stupid joke. It sure is funny how every negative reviewer does that, while every positive reviewer makes their character look somewhat normal and/or cool looking. Gee, I wonder why that is?

I personally didn’t really find that dry sarcastic attempt at humor review very funny. Maybe I would have a little bit if he was the first person to point out that the beginning story scene in the game is like a sitcom (which is intentional) and add a laugh track to it, but he wasn’t. So I already saw that same joke done a few times in other reviews, and I admit that I did laugh the first time.

All this guy did was complain about gameplay elements that only he has a problem with, and bugs and glitches that don’t exist anymore after the latest update. I actually haven’t experienced any of the things that he was mocking except for the takedown animations sometimes being off because the takedowns were done when the player or enemy were near or on a ledge or object.

I will say that I do prefer these types of comedic mocking reviews to the more serious negative ones, because they’re at least a little funny and less mean-spirited which is better than people just flat out trashing the game with their exaggerated and hyperbolic opinions.

It’s a good game if you take it for what it is which is a throwback to past generation third person urban open world action games in look, design and gameplay. It’s not a big budget AAA blockbuster, it’s a AA game in terms of budget and production values. It won’t be worth full price to a lot of people for that reason, but I personally really like these types of games so it is to me. Its story and characters aren’t its strongest area, its gameplay and fun factor are. Its gameplay and mechanics are admittedly a bit archaic and dated, but still enjoyable IMO.

The review itself is satire and meant to be comedic. There comes a point where people get overly defensive; it’s just a game, and it’s an average one. I have it, I’m having fun with it, but let’s not be blind in convincing ourselves this is a true gem without issues and not laugh at satirical reviews. I get it, the majority of reviews are overly negative, but like… bro. And I’m speaking in general and not to you directly, btw.

EDIT: Also, I’m playing on PC and the analog dead zone/auto acceleration is definitely f’d up when I try to switch to an Xbox or DualSense controller. Those complaints are valid, IMO, though simultaneously a little overblown admittedly (some reviewers made it out like that made it unplayable, when it’s not bad to that extent). Lastly, unless I’m missing it, there’s no mouse sensitivity adjustment which is very wtf

17 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

It’s a good game if you take it for what it is which is a throwback to past generation third person urban open world action games in look, design and gameplay. It’s not a big budget AAA blockbuster, it’s a AA game in terms of budget and production values. It won’t be worth full price to a lot of people for that reason, but I personally really like these types of games so it is to me. Its story and characters aren’t its strongest area, its gameplay and fun factor are. Its gameplay and mechanics are admittedly a bit archaic, but still enjoyable IMO.

I mean, I don't see how any of it is hyperbolic, or coming at it with hatred, it's just not true. It doesn't matter what you're experience is, you can't say they didn't play an extremely broken game, because almost all of them have had the same complaints. It doesn't matter if it got a day one patch that improves it, because that isn't the game that the publisher sent them. They had every right to be hard on it. 

Also, complaining about others characters? Really? Thats the most ridiculous complaint ive heard in all this.  The last thing I care about in these games is what my character looks like. Give me default, and start the game, and when I do put time into it, iits usually to make them look ridiculous.

And if its not AAA game with a AAA budget, iy shouldn't have been marketed that way for over a year now, or had a 70$ price tag attached. 

Pretending it's just reviewers who have disliked this is disingenuous as well. And it's ok to be "mean" about a 70$ experience. It puts a point on what thw reviewer is saying.

Im sorry, but I can't name a good game reviewers have been this hard on. That leads me to believe it is middling at best. As I said, im glad you're enjoying the game, but everything I'm seeing leads me to waiting until its free or very cheap. 

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

The review itself is satire and meant to be comedic. There comes a point where people get overly defensive; it’s just a game, and it’s an average one. I have it, I’m having fun with it, but let’s not be blind in convincing ourselves this is a true gem without issues and not laugh at satirical reviews. I get it, the majority of reviews are overly negative, but like… bro. And I’m speaking in general and not to you directly, btw.

I’ve acknowledged the game’s issues and problems, I’ve never once made it out to be some perfect masterpiece. I even posted a satirical negative review myself similar to the one that you posted, and said that I found it to be funny. I can and do find humor in those types of reviews despite liking the game, I just didn’t find the one that you posted to be all that funny but admitted that I prefer those types of negative reviews to the more serious ones where people just hate on the game in an exaggerated, hyperbolic and mean-spirited way.

4 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

I mean, I don't see how any of it is hyperbolic, or coming at it with hatred, it's just not true. It doesn't matter what you're experience is, you can't say they didn't play an extremely broken game, because almost all of them have had the same complaints. It doesn't matter if it got a day one patch that improves it, because that isn't the game that the publisher sent them. They had every right to be hard on it.

I never said that the complaints that a lot of reviewers and gamers have with the game aren’t legit, just that they’re exaggerated IMO. Does the game have bugs and glitches? Yes, but I’ve been playing it since day one and it’s not broken. The bugs and glitches can be annoying, but they’re not game ruining. And the developers have been fixing a lot of them rather quickly. I do feel that people have been coming at the game with hatred because they don’t like its story and characters. Based on what I’ve played so far I wouldn’t say that the story and characters are great, but they’re also not bad or cringe IMO. I would say that they’re just kind of average, but not worth hating on.

Also, complaining about others characters? Really? Thats the most ridiculous complaint ive heard in all this.  The last thing I care about in these games is what my character looks like. Give me default, and start the game, and when I do put time into it, iits usually to make them look ridiculous.

My point is that these same people complaining about the look of the supporting cast of characters have been making their own character look way worse. If they care so much about how the cast of characters in the game look then why would they make the main playable character that they play as throughout the entire game look extremely ridiculous, ugly and unappealing? In general people seem to like badass cool looking main protagonists in action games, so what’s the appeal in making a dumb foolish looking one in this game? People can make whatever character that they want to, but as someone who cares about the character that I play as in a game to the point where it can make or break a game for me I just don’t personally get the appeal of making an unappealing one.

And if its not AAA game with a AAA budget, iy shouldn't have been marketed that way for over a year now, or had a 70$ price tag attached. 

Pretending it's just reviewers who have disliked this is disingenuous as well. And it's ok to be "mean" about a 70$ experience. It puts a point on what thw reviewer is saying.

Im sorry, but I can't name a good game reviewers have been this hard on. That leads me to believe it is middling at best. As I said, im glad you're enjoying the game, but everything I'm seeing leads me to waiting until its free or very cheap. 

Does the game deserve some of the negativity that it has been receiving? Yes, but not to the point where it’s being described as broken terrible woke trash. That’s being hyperbolic IMO. It has it’s fair share of issues, and won’t be worth full price to a lot of people. Anyone interested in the game that doesn’t feel like it’s worth full price based on its AA quality, average story and characters and bugs can wait to get it later when more of its bugs have been fixed and it’s cheaper.

• Halal 1

I’m about a third of the way through already according to the in game percentage, is that percentage counting side missions or just main story progress?

Had to pull myself away again last night, game is super addictive once you get a groove going. 

The larping side game is pretty cute/funny.

• Like 1

I don't care what the reviews say it's extremely fun to play and I enjoy the characters. BloodyHell just needs to stop posting in a thread about a game he doesn't own or care to play. It's just negative nonsense for us who are really enjoying the game. 

Poor Phaseknox has to keep repeating himself over and over in why he enjoys the game while understanding it has flaws. Jeez

• True 2

2 hours ago, Biggie said:

I like it. Have fun playing it. :shrug:

That's it at the end of the day... I've seen lesser games get lauded by reviewers and thinking that the perception of the game being woke hasn't affected its review scores is laughable considering the way gamers are these days but I digress. I really don't give a shit. I have no idea who you guys are talking about 90% of the time when people are mentioning this reviewer or that youtuber. I just don't give a damn. I learned a long time ago when it came to movies to not care what reviewers and critics thought and I actually KNOW several film reviewers who write for a couple of well known sites. They really don't know anymore about movies than most film fans and also because watching films is there job it makes them a bit jaded in some regards. Game reviewers are even worse becasue they have to play games quickly in an inorganic fashion and rush to qrite a review. That HAS to affect your enjoyment of a game to some degree.

Nobody in this topic is saying Sants Row is some perfect 10 game or a masterpiece or anything like that. What we ARE saying is that the reviews got this one VERY wrong and I'm not talking about bugs... the version they played could have been very buggy and they were right to report that. But the quality of the game itself and the fun factor is there and I really don't see how anyone who liked the previous Sants Row games woulod not like this one. That's where the reviewers got this wrong. At the end of the day play the game, don't play the game... I'm having fun and that's all that matters. To me :p So far it's in my top five of the year. It won't top Elden Ring, but it's top five for sure.

43 minutes ago, best3444 said:

BloodyHell just needs to stop posting in a thread about a game he doesn't own or care to play. It's just negative nonsense for us who are really enjoying the game. 

Seriously... I really don't get it. He's not adding anything to the conversation. We're talking about OUR experiences with the game and he's defending someone else's point of view. I never understood that.

• Halal 3

Was "wokeness" an actual complaint put into professional reviews? I know that when the game was first shown there were a lot of naysayers complaining about that but post release I don't think a review made that a complaint. I know Jeff Gerstmann for instance said he was actually excited to have what were supposed to be zoomers in the game but he thought it didn't go far enough and that they didn't act their age.

34 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

That's it at the end of the day... I've seen lesser games get lauded by reviewers and thinking that the perception of the game being woke hasn't affected its review scores is laughable considering the way gamers are these days but I digress. I really don't give a shit. I have no idea who you guys are talking about 90% of the time when people are mentioning this reviewer or that youtuber. I just don't give a damn. I learned a long time ago when it came to movies to not care what reviewers and critics thought and I actually KNOW several film reviewers who write for a couple of well known sites. They really don't know anymore about movies than most film fans and also because watching films is there job it makes them a bit jaded in some regards. Game reviewers are even worse becasue they have to play games quickly in an inorganic fashion and rush to qrite a review. That HAS to affect your enjoyment of a game to some degree.

Nobody in this topic is saying Sants Row is some perfect 10 game or a masterpiece or anything like that. What we ARE saying is that the reviews got this one VERY wrong and I'm not talking about bugs... the version they played could have been very buggy and they were right to report that. But the quality of the game itself and the fun factor is there and I really don't see how anyone who liked the previous Sants Row games woulod not like this one. That's where the reviewers got this wrong. At the end of the day play the game, don't play the game... I'm having fun and that's all that matters. To me :p So far it's in my top five of the year. It won't top Elden Ring, but it's top five for sure.

Seriously... I really don't get it. He's not adding anything to the conversation. We're talking about OUR experiences with the game and he's defending someone else's point of view. I never understood that.

look for whenever BH starts a sentence with  “I mean,” any time you see him start a post

its like “I’m not racist but” for generic bad takes

• True 1

15 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

Was "wokeness" an actual complaint put into professional reviews? I know that when the game was first shown there were a lot of naysayers complaining about that but post release I don't think a review made that a complaint. I know Jeff Gerstmann for instance said he was actually excited to have what were supposed to be zoomers in the game but he thought it didn't go far enough and that they didn't act their age.

The wokeness nonsense came from the original reveal trailer iirc

I don’t think people complaining about wokeness or whatever nonsense affected the professional reviews, that’s more just internet reception. I do think cyberpunk is affecting scores negatively on other open world games especially, because of reviewers over correcting from the initial highs reviews CP that looked bad in retrospect once current gen consoles were looked at. 

They seem to have issues determining the difference between something being a little buggy but not broken that will probably be fixed up well shortly and completely broken it will take a year of extensive development to make the game playable. Which, is a fine line I’m sure, to be fair.

There aren’t any versions of this that are unplayable though, doesn’t need to be removed from stores, it’s not even close to the same situation, but I do think it’s paying a bit for CP’s sins as it were.

Reviews saying this isn’t like the Saints Row people love however, are just off the mark. I don’t see how you could come to that conclusion at all. If this isn’t what SR fans wanted from the new one then I’m completely confused unless they are fans or SR4 only.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

4 hours ago, Phaseknox said:

Does the game deserve some of the negativity that it has been receiving? Yes, but not to the point where it’s being described as broken terrible woke trash. That’s being hyperbolic IMO. It has it’s fair share of issues, and won’t be worth full price to a lot of people. Anyone interested in the game that doesn’t feel like it’s worth full price based on its AA quality, average story and characters and bugs can wait to get it later when more of its bugs have been fixed and it’s cheaper.

Dude,, do you not understand what s patch is? The people who reviewed it played an extremely broken game, all of them, stop pretending it didn't happen. If the publisher didn't want it judged as it was, they shouldn’t have sent it out before the patch fixed those problems.  None of them are complaining about it being "woke trash", you're projecting that shit. Most of the bad reviews are from openly very left wing sites. 

At this point you're just ignoring the facts. It doesn't matter what the game is like now, only when it was reviewed. And left wing sites complaining about the humor aren't complaining because its "woke", but because it's poorly written. That much is obvious in every cutscene I see. 

12 minutes ago, BloodyHell said:

And left wing sites complaining about the humor aren't complaining because its "woke", but because it's poorly written. That much is obvious in every cutscene I see. 

Poorly written as opposed to what? Other Saints Row games because its pretty much on par with every other Saints Row game I've ever played. if you think THIS Saints row game is poorly written then ALL of them are poorly written. I find the characters entertaining and the dialogue is satirical and fits with the tone they are going for. Again, this game and series isn't and has never been about the story anyway and while folks are not overtly saying their perception of the game being woke is an issue, complaining about the story is just a cover in my opinion. This game is the same in tone as every other Saints row game ever made. 

• Halal 1

34 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Poorly written as opposed to what? Other Saints Row games because its pretty much on par with every other Saints Row game I've ever played. if you think THIS Saints row game is poorly written then ALL of them are poorly written. I find the characters entertaining and the dialogue is satirical and fits with the tone they are going for. Again, this game and series isn't and has never been about the story anyway and while folks are not overtly saying their perception of the game being woke is an issue, complaining about the story is just a cover in my opinion. This game is the same in tone as every other Saints row game ever made. 

I want Shakespeare in my Saints Row, damn it 

• Haha 2

If you want to see what a game deserving of the scores Saints Row got (and got the same scores), play their last game, Agents of Mayhem. Now THAT was a total mediocre 6/10 game. Not broken, playable (i still had fun!), but aggressively mediocre. This game is in a completely different league than that game, but critics treated it the exact same.

• True 2

1 hour ago, stepee said:

If you want to see what a game deserving of the scores Saints Row got (and got the same scores), play their last game, Agents of Mayhem. Now THAT was a total mediocre 6/10 game. Not broken, playable (i still had fun!), but aggressively mediocre. This game is in a completely different league than that game, but critics treated it the exact same.

Great point.

11 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I’m playing on PC and the analog dead zone/auto acceleration is definitely f’d up when I try to switch to an Xbox or DualSense controller. Those complaints are valid, IMO, though simultaneously a little overblown admittedly (some reviewers made it out like that made it unplayable, when it’s not bad to that extent).

I didn’t realize that as I’m playing the PS4 version which doesn’t have that problem, so I thought that the guy in that video was just being overly nit-picky about a non issue. Some parts of the video were mildly amusing, I’m just kind of tired of all the negativity that the game is receiving. I don’t deny that some of it’s deserved, but I feel that a lot of people are going overboard with it as well.

5 hours ago, BloodyHell said:

Dude,, do you not understand what s patch is? The people who reviewed it played an extremely broken game, all of them, stop pretending it didn't happen. If the publisher didn't want it judged as it was, they shouldn’t have sent it out before the patch fixed those problems.  None of them are complaining about it being "woke trash", you're projecting that shit. Most of the bad reviews are from openly very left wing sites. 

At this point you're just ignoring the facts. It doesn't matter what the game is like now, only when it was reviewed. And left wing sites complaining about the humor aren't complaining because its "woke", but because it's poorly written. That much is obvious in every cutscene I see. 

I’m not ignoring the facts, I’ve acknowledged that the game has bugs and I even listed some of the ones that I was getting and said that they were annoying me. I started playing the game the day that it came out, so I don’t know how much the day one patch fixed things compared to the version of the game that was sent out early to reviewers. But it’s not really the initial reviews for the game before it was released that I’ve been having as much of an issue with as it is the ones that have come out after its release primarily by YouTubers who didn’t start playing the game until the day that it came out, or after. They’re mainly the ones that I’ve been finding to be overly negative, and unprofessional.

They’ve all been playing it with its day one patch, and since I have been too I can say from personal experience that I feel that calling it broken is an exaggeration. Having some bugs and being broken are two different things. If the game was in fact broken basically being unplayable in a lot of ways and couldn’t be advanced in or finished, then I would be in agreement with a lot of the negative reviews that it’s been receiving. But it’s not, and even before its day one patch it wasn’t because reviewers were able to play and finish it. It might have had more bugs, glitches and jank, but it wasn’t broken. At least not by my definition of what broken is.

I also acknowledge that a lot of the complaints from reviewers about the story and characters are because they feel that the writing is bad and not because it’s woke, but some have claimed that it’s woke because of the characters and because some of the aspects of the game have been toned down compared to the previous games.

I only played a little bit today and yet again had a lot of fun.

I'm also playing Metro Exodus and Watchdogs Legion too. Since I'm off work I've been gaming more than 6 hours a day. 

All 3 games are fuckin fantastic imo!

BTW, @stepee Watch Dogs Legion has the best raytracing I've seen in a game. The entire gaming world is remarkable, too.

Legion is on my list. The RT is great in it, but something about it didn’t really drag me in. I haven’t tried playing it on deck yet though. I got it on XSX in a bundle with Valhalla, hoping I could play it on pc and on xsx with the same save like Valhalla, but it doesn’t support that :(

• Sad 1

16 hours ago, skillzdadirecta said:

I recommend getting a Hitman recruit ASAP.

I've gotten solid recruits so far, one being a medic so that when one of my players get badly injured they get fixed up much quicker now that he is on my team. 

How do you find a Hitman? Just randomly walking around the city and check everyone's information via your phone?

11 minutes ago, Biggie said:

The city in this game is fantastic. 

So WatchDogs Legions worth a go? @best3444

It's an 8/10 game and can get repetitive but imo it's fuckin great. I don't have enough confidence to recommend you getting it because your gaming tastes are pretty different than mine. It's tech heavy meaning not a lot of combat at all but rather gathering information and infiltration.

There is no killing in the game because the team your on doesn't support killing. So you shoot enemies with stun guns rather than going all Saints Row on them. It's just really interesting to me in an beautiful city in London. Characters and story are B level which is fine by me.

39 minutes ago, best3444 said:

There is no killing in the game because the team your on doesn't support killing. So you shoot enemies with stun guns rather than going all Saints Row on them. It's just really interesting to me in an beautiful city in London. Characters and story are B level which is fine by me.

Ummm there's PLENTY of killing in the game if you chose to play that way. If you recruit the Hitman character, he's basically John Wick complete with his moves.

Mind you ANY of the hitmen you recruit can do this stuff. You can totally play non lethal if you want but if you want to go all action you can. It never gets Saints Row Crazy as far as the action goes but it definitely gets intense. Pretty much played the second game non lethally but didn't play this game that way. The secret agent recruit is pretty bad ass too.