Saints Row (PlayStation/Xbox/PC - EGS) - Information Thread, update: significant update on May 9 will overhaul practically every aspect of the game

Commissar SFLUFAN

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Ummm there's PLENTY of killing in the game if you chose to play that way. If you recruit the Hitman character, he's basically John Wick complete with his moves.

Mind you ANY of the hitmen you recruit can do this stuff. You can totally play non lethal if you want but if you want to go all action you can. It never gets Saints Row Crazy as far as the action goes but it definitely gets intense. Pretty much played the second game non lethally but didn't play this game that way. The secret agent recruit is pretty bad ass too. 

WTF. How do I get a gun then? Each teamate has stun guns, nail guns, and paintball guns. 

How do I find a hitman?

1 minute ago, best3444 said:

WTF. How do I get a gun then? Each teamate has stun guns, nail guns, and paintball guns. 

How do I find a hitman?

You need to recruit people who have real guns. It’s annoying but it is what it is. I stocked up on assassins/hitmen, military, and spys iirc

• Halal 1

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Lol I'll update the Watchdogs Thread with some tips rather than derail this one.

Good idea. Thanks.

1 minute ago, Spork3245 said:

You need to recruit people who have real guns. It’s annoying but it is what it is. I stocked up on assassins/hitmen, military, and spys iirc

But the city is so big how do you find assassin's/hitmem and military guys?

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Good idea. Thanks.

But the city is so big how do you find assassin's/hitmem and military guys?

You have to scan people to see their traits and it’ll tell you. There’s a few guides for where hitmen and spys usually spawn

EDIT: you also get rewarded one of each for clearing areas of the city or whatever the game calls it 

• Thanks 1

To tie things together here, the WD talk made me play some Legion again last night and it really made me appreciate the controls in Saints Row! Everything feels so good in this game, some weird button mapping aside, the controls are fantastic for both on foot shooting and driving.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

24 minutes ago, stepee said:

To tie things together here, the WD talk made me play some Legion again last night and it really made me appreciate the controls in Saints Row! Everything feels so good in this game, some weird button mapping aside, the controls are fantastic for both on foot shooting and driving.

Yeah, I’ve seen some reviews complaining about the controls not being very good and taking time to get used to. But that’s another thing that I disagree with, because I was fine with the controls immediately upon playing it. Other than for pressing down on the directional pad to crouch, the controls are pretty much the same as they are for most games in this genre especially previous Saints Row games. I started playing the game right away as if I had played it before, the controls didn’t take any getting used to for me.

15 minutes ago, stepee said:

To me the main thing is that the controls are tight. So you can rev off full speed the wrong way and weave between cars no problem. For this kind of game that’s what you want, not something overly physicy.

The driving is excellent 

• True 2
  • Halal 1

21 hours ago, best3444 said:

These reviews are absolutely ridiculous. 

A lot of them are overly negative IMO, especially the ones that basically don’t have one positive thing to say about the game. And it’s not just the reviews, but the people posting impression videos on YouTube completely trashing the game based on a couple hours of playing it.

When I watch their gameplay videos, a lot of them are playing as some of the dumbest most ridiculous and unappealing looking characters imaginable IMO. People can make their character look however they want, but these are usually the same people complaining about how the supporting cast of characters look like nerdy hipsters and not like gang members but then make the character that they play as look like Shrek because we all know how gangster Shrek is.

The boss is the boss for a reason, because they’re the badass of the group that the others look up to and follow. My boss looks like a badass especially with how I dress her, she looks like a deadly assassin killing machine. So when she’s taking out waves of enemies it’s believable, because she’s like the freakin’ Terminator. That’s who the boss is supposed to be which is even emphasized in one of the story missions that I won’t spoil.

I just couldn’t get into the game if I was playing as a complete joke character like Shrek. I just really dig playing as my boss character, even her voice (voice 2) is perfectly fitting for her and her lines are delivered great from the actress who obviously knew what type of character that she was portraying by being humorous, sarcastic, snarky and witty.

My created character is one of the reasons why I’m personally enjoying the game so much, but if other people enjoy the game more playing as a silly joke character like Shrek then by all means that’s the type of character that they should create. However, I’ll still be somewhat confused by people who do that and then complain about the supporting cast of characters not being cool and gangster enough, because why should it matter if they’re just going to make their character a joke anyway?

That’s a good observation how reviews that mindlessly trash it are using joke characters. Probably can look at that for most games that let you create a character, if the reviewer is serious about looking at the game critically, or if they just want to try to trash it for laughs/views.

• True 1

12 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Is it me or are the police REALLY friggen difficult to lose? They constantly spawn around you when driving and rubberband to get next to you. Trying to get cars to the car lot for that dude to part out is impossible since you immediately get 2 stars

The police are definitely aggressive in the game, and are hard to shake. I usually can lose them in the desert outskirts. The police chases are kind of fun, but can be a bit difficult at times.

By the way, is there a way to find the cars on the map that you’re supposed to bring to Jim Rob’s garage? It says the names of the cars that I’m supposed to bring to him, but I don’t know how to find them as there’s tons of different types of cars in the game.

Just now, Phaseknox said:

The police are definitely aggressive in the game, and are hard to shake. I usually can lose them in the desert outskirts. The police chases are kind of fun, but can be a bit difficult at times.

By the way, is there a way to find the cars on the map that you’re supposed to bring to Jim Rob’s garage? It says the names of the cars that I’m supposed to bring to him, but I don’t know how to find them as there’s tons of different types of cars in the game.

I want to know this too.

9 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

8 minutes ago, stepee said:

I want to know this too.

They show up on the mini map in the bottom left as gray car icons. As soon as you get in one you get a 2 rating for police.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I forgot when it was time to sleep last night that I just turned off the deck without shutting the game off so it just ran on my pc all night/day in the middle of a mission. Not the most energy efficient way to have resume work even though I’m streaming it, but it worked! 

It’s just funny because the game isn’t even like guilty pleasure good or something, it’s just straight a good game with a lot of care and detail put into it. I barely get any bugs anymore already and nothing has been game breaking, and the game itself is just a freakin blast.

I love all the quick events of just taking over an area too and some of the other quicker ones like insurance fraud. There are all these quick 3 minutes to beat events that are so addictive to clear out when playing handheld that keep me up too late.

Insurance Fraud is so fun in this one.

• True 2
  • Halal 1

59 minutes ago, stepee said:

It’s just funny because the game isn’t even like guilty pleasure good or something, it’s just straight a good game with a lot of care and detail put into it. I barely get any bugs anymore already and nothing has been game breaking, and the game itself is just a freakin blast.

In all of my years of gaming, I don’t think that I’ve ever disagreed with the popular opinion of a game more than I do with this one. It’s simply baffling to me how much hate that it’s receiving. I don’t deny that some of the complaints are legit, but the complete trashing of it as if it doesn’t have any redeeming qualities whatsoever is what’s confusing me the most. It’s not AAA or without its faults, but it’s still a lot of fun IMO. Some of the bugs that I get from time to time have been a little annoying, but they haven’t been severe enough to ruin my overall enjoyment of the game.

59 minutes ago, stepee said:

I love all the quick events of just taking over an area too and some of the other quicker ones like insurance fraud. There are all these quick 3 minutes to beat events that are so addictive to clear out when playing handheld that keep me up too late.

That’s one thing that I like about the game, the variety of different things to do in it. There’s somewhat lengthy story missions, shorter side missions such as the assassination missions, a lot of quick to play side activities/side hustles and the photo objectives. There’s always something to do based on what you’re in the mood to do at the time, and that’s part of what makes it hard to put down IMO because if you start to get a little tired of one thing then there’s something else that you can do instead.

• True 1
  • Halal 1

I'm playing to many games at once right now. I normally don't do this but I'm off work and have a ton of time to play. 

I need to focus on this more. I'm getting close to beating Metro Exodus so then I can really put more time into this.

It's funny though when I'm playing another game I keep thinking about Saints Row 😂 

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

I'm playing to many games at once right now. I normally don't do this but I'm off work and have a ton of time to play.

I’m retired and always have a ton of time to play, but I still like to focus on one game at a time until I either finish it or get tired of playing it before moving onto something else. But that’s me, and I know that everyone is different.

1 hour ago, best3444 said:

It's funny though when I'm playing another game I keep thinking about Saints Row 😂 

That’s because Saints Row is better than Metro Exodus, and Watch Dogs: Legion. :p

2 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

That’s because Saints Row is better than Metro Exodus, and Watch Dogs: Legion. :p

Saints Row is definitely more fun to play but both Metro and Watch Dogs are terrific games to me. The city in Watch Dogs on the PS5 is way more impressive than Saints Rows. So now I'm spoiled. 

14 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Saints Row is definitely more fun to play but both Metro and Watch Dogs are terrific games to me. The city in Watch Dogs on the PS5 is way more impressive than Saints Rows. So now I'm spoiled. 

In all seriousness I wouldn’t necessarily say that Saints Row is better than them, but it’s more fun IMO based on what I’ve played of them. While Watch Dogs: Legion’s city is more impressive looking than Saints Row’s from a technical standpoint, I personally like Saints Row’s more from a design standpoint. It’s just more fun to play in IMO.

12 minutes ago, Phaseknox said:

In all seriousness I wouldn’t necessarily say that Saints Row is better than them, but it’s more fun IMO based on what I’ve played of them. While Watch Dogs: Legion’s city is more impressive looking than Saints Row’s from a technical standpoint, I personally like Saints Row’s more from a design standpoint. It’s just more fun to play in IMO.

I don't know man. With the enhancements on the PS5 Watch Dogs city looks stunning and there is a bunch of activities to do. The city is much more alive and is extremely immersive. The npc AI is impressive as well. There is always something going on in the city too which Saints Row falls short.

Overall, I have all the games and I'm enjoying all 3. That's all that matters. 

29 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I don't know man. With the enhancements on the PS5 Watch Dogs city looks stunning and there is a bunch of activities to do. The city is much more alive and is extremely immersive. The npc AI is impressive as well. There is always something going on in the city too which Saints Row falls short.

You could be right, because it’s been a while since I played Watch Dogs: Legion so my memory of it isn’t the freshest. I would have to play it after playing Saints Row to really be able to compare the two.

29 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I have all the games and I'm enjoying all 3. That's all that matters. 

Of course. I have all three too, and I somewhat liked what I played of Metro Exodus and Watch Dogs: Legion so I look forward to playing them again in the future.

• Halal 1

I decided to check out Saints Row: The Third on Xbox 360 to see how it was in comparison to the new Saints Row. I haven’t played it in like ten years, so I couldn’t remember it too well. I ended up playing quite a bit of it, and now I have a better understanding as to why the new Saints Row has been kind of receiving a somewhat bad reception from a lot of people because Saints Row: The Third actually looks and plays a little better and is more polished. The quality of it from a technical standpoint is better, it feels like a bigger budget more finished game. And the characters, humor and writing are stronger as well. It has more life and personality to it in general. The new Saints Row feels like a step back in some ways compared to it.

However, I’m still having a great time with the new Saints Row and I think that it’s actually more fun overall compared to Saints Row: The Third and Saints Row IV. It’s a better sandbox game IMO. I have more fun playing in its world than I did in those games. But there’s also no denying that it does look and play a little dated, and that it’s buggy and lacks polish. It just didn’t seem to have the budget and/or time needed to make it a better game overall.

A lot of the complaints about it are somewhat warranted, but are still exaggerated IMO because I think that it’s a good game that’s a lot of fun to play. It’s not a dumpster fire like a lot of people have been claiming that it is. It might not be better than the previous games in some ways, but it is in others.

• Thanks 1