Wells Fargo announces that it will be closing all personal lines of credit which may negatively impact credit scores

Wells Fargo once again proving that it is truly the absolute worst of all the major financial institutions.

Needless to say Senator Warren is rather incensed by this:

106893990-16231765892021-06-08t180457z_3
WWW.CNBC.COM

Wells Fargo finds itself in the center of another self-inflicted storm, this time over potential damage to customers' credit scores.

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, sblfilms said:

What could WF do to “make it right” when they don’t run the credit reporting agencies?

Something along the lines of working with the credit agencies to ensure that this involuntary closure doesn't impact the credit scores.  I'm thinking having them exclude the involuntary closure from the overall credit score algorithm.

Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

Something along the lines of working with the credit agencies to ensure that this involuntary closure doesn't impact the credit scores.  I'm thinking having them exclude the involuntary closure from the overall credit score algorithm.

The impact is not the closure itself, it’s the other associated effects like length of average credit, credit utilization, and potentially new credit accounts to replace the product WF is ending. 

3 minutes ago, CayceG said:

In part, this is Wells Fargo's problem. But looking at a higher level, credit scores shouldn't exist. 

Any ideas for alternative ways to evaluate risk in financial products?

39 minutes ago, CayceG said:

Whatever we did before 1989 when the FICO score was introduced. It's a capitalist version of Chinese CCP 'social credit.'

Cant stress enough that when employers want to run a credit check on an potential employee and (like in my friend here in town's case where he is just establishing himself) get denied a promotion to improve his financial stability all because he admitted that he fucked up with a credit card a few years back in college there is something wrong. This is a kid that has been busting ass to fix his mistakes but some program run by a corporate office back East decided he was still too much of a risk for promotion. The real kick to the teeth is that the promotion had nothing to do with handling money but to be the lead on his team of munitions handlers. A job you don't have to have a credit check to get. 

7 minutes ago, Littleronin said:

Cant stress enough that when employers want to run a credit check on an potential employee and (like in my friend here in town's case where he is just establishing himself) get denied a promotion to improve his financial stability all because he admitted that he fucked up with a credit card a few years back in college there is something wrong. This is a kid that has been busting ass to fix his mistakes but some program run by a corporate office back East decided he was still too much of a risk for promotion. The real kick to the teeth is that the promotion had nothing to do with handling money but to be the lead on his team of munitions handlers. A job you don't have to have a credit check to get. 

Yeah, but what if that potential employee has bad credit because they almost died and medical care in this country is wildly expensive? Who would want to hire someone that almost died that one time?

I’m not sure most minorities want to go back to pre-FICO credit scoring where the game was even more tilted against them. We need better systems, and I would say both FICO 9 and Vantage 4 are major improvements

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

I’m not sure most minorities want to go back to pre-FICO credit scoring where the game was even more tilted against them. We need better systems, and I would say both FICO 9 and Vantage 4 are major improvements

For consumer credit, start with a baseline percentage rate, and depending on how the consumer pays back (early, late, etc), vary the rate accordingly.  Wouldn't matter if you are white or black or make $10k a year or $1 million a year, you start at the same rate. 

4 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

For consumer credit, start with a baseline percentage rate, and depending on how the consumer pays back (early, late, etc), vary the rate accordingly.  Wouldn't matter if you are white or black or make $10k a year or $1 million a year, you start at the same rate. 

What do you do if a person defaults on their loans? Do they keep getting the base rate on new debt? Do they even get offered the loan in the first place?

Interest rebates make more sense. If they paid on time, give them back the extra interest you charged due to the presumed risk.

We had credit scoring and credit reports since the 50s and like…early 1900s respectively. FICO in the 90s just standardized what already existed and improved the mess that preceded it. The major issue with modern credit scoring is how it is used in areas where it’s predictive capabilities are either poor or non-existent.

Like, auto insurance rates, or previously mentioned issues of employment.

I don't know if we need to abolish credit scores, but they should probably only be used for credit, and even then they still need far more oversight and regulation. Everything from data privacy to transparency to the dispute process needs to be addressed. The fact that Wells Fargo can end your line of credit for any reason and have it negatively affect your credit is an obvious failure of the system to do what it was designed to do.

8 hours ago, sblfilms said:

What could WF do to “make it right” when they don’t run the credit reporting agencies?

Kill the program for new ppl

Notify the current program members and give them two years

Offer incentives to self close the account before then, maybe even buying out some debt. 

Just to start I would make one central credit scoring system, easier to make disputes and have them resolved, free and easy to watch your credit score, automatic freeze on your account which is released via a pin, ability to have a print out from any lender showing your credit score at any time. 

As far as why Wells is doing this is that they can’t legally grow so they are getting rid of consumer assets so that they can extend and service more commercial loans is my bet.