E3 and Summer Game Fest Salt

Brian

E3 and Summer Game Fest   

22 members have voted

1. 1. Was E3/Summer Game Fest trash and a waste of time?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Does Nintendo hate us?

• Yes
    • Yes
  3. 3. “Best” Conference

• Wholesome Direct Indie Showcase
    • Tribeca Games Spotlight
    • Microsoft
    • Nintendo
    • Ubisoft
    • Elden Ring And Weezer Show

14 minutes ago, ManUtdRedDevils said:

We are in the dark timeline

Dark timeline is based timeline. Just like in Dark Souls where the Dark Lord ending is the best. 

I mean, yeah, overall E3 is pretty shit. Didn't get any new FF16 stuff. But I got Elden Ring and ELEX 2 so... fuck yeah 

I had a thought and was wondering where to post it then this topic came up which is perfect for it. Could somebody explain to me why u guys ALWAYS build up your expectations of these shows only to leave dissappointed and angry? I don't think I've EVER seen one of these shows live up to the self inflicted hype that gamers have built up in recent years and its no wonder why more and more companies aren't bothering to participate. Why bother? Gamers will never be satisfied regardless of what is shown or not shown because gamers are always chasing "the shiney new thing". I would also think that any resonable person would temper their expectations THIS year in particular because the whole world was in lockdown for the last year and a half that this E3 would be... underwhelming at best? I don't know it just seems like a lot of you guys just set yourselves up to be disappointed every year. It's interesting to watch.

3 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Could somebody explain to me why u guys ALWAYS build up your expectations of these shows only to leave dissappointed and angry?

Cuz even if every reveal wasn't awesome, there used to be some big E3 announcement. E3 was a glimpse of the future. Where we saw the next stage of gaming. We still hope for that because we don't want to give up. 

3 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Cuz even if every reveal wasn't awesome, there used to be some big E3 announcement. E3 was a glimpse of the future. Where we saw the next stage of gaming. We still hope for that because we don't want to give up. 

But you get those announcements regularly these days WITHOUT E3 so I don't see how E3 could have the same impact these days that it did before. Again, its why companies are skipping it entirely because the negative press that could potentially be generated from a poor or disappointing showing just isn't worth the headache. I did some work for Square a couple of years ago for some E3 announcements so I KNOW they put money into cutting these trailers and stuff... more and more companies are coming to realize that with the internet and youtube, it's just not worth it. Knowing the amount of work they put into this stuff, i can imagine how deflating it must be to see trending online shortly after your presentation "Fuck X Company" or whatever. I really don't understand it but whatever.

I think Microsoft had a very good show, and Summer Game Fest I felt was well done.  

I don't blame any of the showings for being underwhelming, we already know how challenging the year was due to covid, so it's not shocking. 

Square Enix's biggest stuff, Sony has already shown.  FF16 and Forspoken.  Sony has the marketing rights to that stuff now, so it'll show up at Sony's how if they do one in a few weeks I'm sure.  I think Guardians of the Galaxy looked pretty interesting too.  The other stuff looked pretty underwhelming and had some bad presentations, but might not be bad from a gameplay perspective seeing as they are coming from Platinum Games and Team Ninja.

I was in a Zoom call so missed most of Nintendo's.  What was a let down with theirs?  They showed a new Metroid and BoTW2, and Advanced Wars,.  Isn't that considered a decent showing?  

I didn't really watch any others intently, just had them on in the background as I did other things.  This year was also odd being all Digital.  I don't really know if there is a need for a Digital E3, as each company could have done these things on their own pretty easily.  Hopefully when they get back to in person stuff next year, it feels a bit better.

2 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

But you get those announcements regularly these days WITHOUT E3 so I don't see how E3 could have the same impact these days that it did before.

I mean, you don't tho. Any big announcement that isn't shown at E3 feels like a fart in the wind. They announce something here, announce something there, and it all just feels expected. E3 is supposed to be unexpected in a good way. Or like, E3 is where we expect the unexpected while also expecting all of these other things. Like, I'd be willing to be Metroid Dread would have less hype if it was announced in like August or something. Shit, ELEX 2 wasn't even announced at an E3 event but they knew to drop it during E3. It is a hype machine if you do it right. 

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I mean, you don't tho. Any big announcement that isn't shown at E3 feels like a fart in the wind. They announce something here, announce something there, and it all just feels expected. E3 is supposed to be unexpected in a good way. Or like, E3 is where we expect the unexpected while also expecting all of these other things. Like, I'd be willing to be Metroid Dread would have less hype if it was announced in like August or something. Shit, ELEX 2 wasn't even announced at an E3 event but they knew to drop it during E3. It is a hype machine if you do it right. 

and it's a PR nightmare if you do it wrong or if gamers . I don't dispute that E3 could be great from a PR perspective if your announcement is well received. But some companies, Like Sony for example, clearly don't see the point in it and would rather do their own thing. There's other big companies that skip it too and its getting easier and easier to see why they do.

4 minutes ago, Bacon said:

I will say, shit I ain't mad at all. I got Elden Ring and ELEX 2. Only thing that could have made E3 better was New FF16 footage. I am bummed there wasn't any, but it is an already announced game so whatever. 

I'd say expect to see more FF16 when Sony does their next showcase, as they probably own the marketing rights to it.

1 minute ago, skillzdadirecta said:

and it's a PR nightmare if you do it wrong or if gamers . I don't dispute that E3 could be great from a PR perspective if your announcement is well received. But some companies, Like Sony for example, clearly don't see the point in it and would rather do their own thing. There's other big companies that skip it too and its getting easier and easier to see why they do.

I just don't think it is that hard to do it right. Literally just don't put out literal shit. Like, no one wants live music shit. No one is going to SE for cape shit. We don't just want trailers, some game play but don't make half of your event literally game play of one game unless it is something actually big. I mean, MS did a fantastic job. The only issue with MS is that they don't really have much to offer me. If you can't put on a show like MS did this year, then yeah, don't bother. Another big issue is that no companies had games this year. Still showing shit from 4 E3s ago. 

6 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

U sure about that or are you speaking for yourself? And Honestly you answered my question... the bitching and moaning is because "it's fun". Simple and direct answer... It's not fun to me but different strokes I guess?

I can’t speak for others bud but it is no different than rooting for your favorite sport team, being bummed they lost and calling up your dad being like “fire this coach and kick that player off the team”.  You ain’t mad.  You love the team and ready for the next time. The next direct, I will be there hyping the Pro up and being disappointed if it doesn’t show but still buying all those Nintendo remakes are full value day 1.   

• Haha 1

Dates for Elden Ring and Starfield where as much as I could hope for coming out of presentation put on during the tail end (I hope!) of a global pandemic. Add in Elex 2 coming soon and I am very happy! Also, quietly, BGIII comes out of early access this fall as well! :sun: