Guardians of the Galaxy - Information Thread, update: March release for GamePass announced

Keyser_Soze

I'm on chapter 4 out of 16. Played for a total of 4 hours. The characters and dialogue keep this game interesting. I like how you have to use each member for different aspects in combat and "puzzles". I'm not having a complete blast with the game but it's definitely a solid 7/10 game right now. 

The combat is still very basic even after a few upgrades. It's extremely linear which is fine but not my favorite type of genre these days. I'm having a good time and will beat it. I appreciate @ManUtdRedDevils buying this for me. I think I'd be a little let down if I paid full price for this. 

Spoiler

I just sold Groot for 12K units and that is basically where I stopped for the evening. 

So overall, you guys seemed to enjoyed this game much more than I have. It definitely reminds me of ME in how it's setup. The visuals are pretty nice but I'm not a fan of the environments I've been in thus far. I still have plenty of time with this game so I hope it continues to improve. The raytracing is noticeable the more I've kept my eye out for it. So that's cool.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I'm on chapter 4 out of 16. Played for a total of 4 hours. The characters and dialogue keep this game interesting. I like how you have to use each member for different aspects in combat and "puzzles". I'm not having a complete blast with the game but it's definitely a solid 7/10 game right now. 

The combat is still very basic even after a few upgrades. It's extremely linear which is fine but not my favorite type of genre these days. I'm having a good time and will beat it. I appreciate @ManUtdRedDevils buying this for me. I think I'd be a little let down if I paid full price for this. 

Reveal hidden contents

So overall, you guys seemed to enjoyed this game much more than I have. It definitely reminds me of ME in how it's setup. The visuals are pretty nice but I'm not a fan of the environments I've been in thus far. I still have plenty of time with this game so I hope it continues to improve. The raytracing is noticeable the more I've kept my eye out for it. So that's cool.

@Keyser_Sozeyou see this shit?

• Haha 1

On chapter 6 now. I still feel the same as I did earlier. It's a quality game overall but it's just not grabbing my attention. It's extremely simplistic and not engaging. I can't pin point what it is about this game that doesn't make me love it like you guys did. Maybe it's because I never liked comics or seen the movies? I plan on beating it to see where the story goes but overall this is a 7/10 game for me. 

Coming off Halo doesn't help, either. That is my goty and was probably the best fps I've ever played.

@ManUtdRedDevils @Keyser_Soze @skillzdadirecta holy shit! Started chapter 6 today at 1030am going in with a positive attitude with this game. Wow, did this game do a complete 180 on me! It's absolutely exceptional and took off like no other game I've played!

I think going in off the Halo high (which I think is one of the best fps I've ever played) I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Plus Guardians does start out a bit slow. 

After chapter 5 going into chapter 6 the game went to new heights. I mean it totally took me by surprise how amazingly well everything comes together. The story is fucking awesome, the combat has gotten much deeper, and the visuals are spectacular! Raytracing is all over the place and it running at 30fps is perfectly fine with me. I couldn't put the controller down and I was on the edge of my seat. If this continues like this until the end it will be my goty. 

Everything has so much detail and the characters are incredible and deep. I really enjoy upgrading my team members and using them not only in combat but for puzzles too. It has great emotion to it and it's epic as fuck. What a total surprise and please forgive me on my initial negative take on this game. I really look forward to playing this tomorrow. It went from a 7/10 to a 9/10 today. Everyone on this board was correct I just needed to be more patient with it.

I'm so glad I stuck with this game, fuck. I actually think this is better than the Mass Effect games. @stepee you beat this, right?

• Like 1
  • Shocked 2

28 minutes ago, best3444 said:

@ManUtdRedDevils @Keyser_Soze @skillzdadirecta holy shit! Started chapter 6 today at 1030am going in with a positive attitude with this game. Wow, did this game do a complete 180 on me! It's absolutely exceptional and took off like no other game I've played!

I think going in off the Halo high (which I think is one of the best fps I've ever played) I wasn't in the right frame of mind. Plus Guardians does start out a bit slow. 

After chapter 5 going into chapter 6 the game went to new heights. I mean it totally took me by surprise how amazingly well everything comes together. The story is fucking awesome, the combat has gotten much deeper, and the visuals are spectacular! Raytracing is all over the place and it running at 30fps is perfectly fine with me. I couldn't put the controller down and I was on the edge of my seat. If this continues like this until the end it will be my goty. 

Everything has so much detail and the characters are incredible and deep. I really enjoy upgrading my team members and using them not only in combat but for puzzles too. It has great emotion to it and it's epic as fuck. What a total surprise and please forgive me on my initial negative take on this game. I really look forward to playing this tomorrow. It went from a 7/10 to a 9/10 today. Everyone on this board was correct I just needed to be more patient with it.

I'm so glad I stuck with this game, fuck. I actually think this is better than the Mass Effect games. @stepee you beat this, right?

:daydream:

34 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yeah I beat it, one of the years best for sure. It definitely starts slow, I didn’t think it was that bad, but I do remember a point early on when I was wondering when the stakes would start but it actually does all build up wonderfully looking back. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, LionFranco said:

Any advantage to getting this on PC over PS5? i think the PS5 will probably run it better than my PC right now, and both Steam and PSN have it on sale.

Every game over $15 on EGS gets and extra $10 off with the current coupon they gave running for the next two weeks. That should make the game $29 there.

1 hour ago, LionFranco said:

Any advantage to getting this on PC over PS5? i think the PS5 will probably run it better than my PC right now, and both Steam and PSN have it on sale.

I mean you could probably tweak the PC options to have it run better than a PS5 but sounds like you've got your mind made up.

11 minutes ago, Keyser_Soze said:

I mean you could probably tweak the PC options to have it run better than a PS5 but sounds like you've got your mind made up.

actually nowadays, i prefer PC, but i get tired of sitting at my computer, since i'm sitting at my work desk, 6 feet from my personal computer, 8 hours a day. thats honestly the only real reason, but if it is going to perform better on PC, i'll generally go with that, (unless i feel the game would be more convenient to play on Switch).

14 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Every game over $15 on EGS gets and extra $10 off with the current coupon they gave running for the next two weeks. That should make the game $29 there.

I'm still  not a fan of EGS, and its lack  of features, and constant sluggishness. And that means i'm willing to pay more to get it elsewhere.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

It depends on how old your gpu is, it has dlss though so if you have a 20xx card you’ll get more mileage out of it than usual and it’ll probably better on pc. I can’t think of an older amd card that would be better to play on than ps5. @LionFranco

i'm using a 1660 GTX.

I had planned on upgrading this year, but then GPU's went through the roof...

50 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Reached chapter 11 and it's getting fucking weirder than it already was lol. Still cool as hell. The lighting in this game is really impressive. I still think I enjoyed Halo more than this but this is a phenomenal game.

The city level was amazing to walk through, I wish we had more open city type areas with side quests and stuff. I’d like a little of that in the next one.

1 hour ago, stepee said:

The city level was amazing to walk through, I wish we had more open city type areas with side quests and stuff. I’d like a little of that in the next one.

Spoiler

I wasted so much money there that I couldn’t pay the fine lol

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, stepee said:

Yea, that was very impressive with raytracing, textures, lighting, and population of aliens visible on screen. I agree, more of that throughout the game would have been cool.

Leveling up takes a bit too long imo too. Only about halfway through the game did I start getting enough exp points to add abilities to my characters and others.

No big deal overall. I hope they make another one. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, stepee said:

no no no no no no no. Not every game needs to be open and have side quests. Enough of that bullshit. They already try to shoehorn that into most games. Leave the beautifully constructed linear games alone. NO MORE FUCKING SIDE QUESTS

• True 1

16 minutes ago, Mercury33 said:

no no no no no no no. Not every game needs to be open and have side quests. Enough of that bullshit. They already try to shoehorn that into most games. Leave the beautifully constructed linear games alone. NO MORE FUCKING SIDE QUESTS

You sound like Rocket

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Making this game more open with a bunch of side quests would ruin how well paced it is. Most games with tons of side quests hurt from pacing issues. Inserting time for the player to do side quests means you have to constantly leave your story in a place where you can naturally pause the main storyline. Either that or you end up with those games where you unnaturally stop the flow. I'm talking about games where you're ordered to deliver a message to a kingdom ASAP and then when you get there, you futz around with the citizens for the next ten hours instead of actually delivering the message.

Guardians' best aspect is the story, so anything that distracts from that would not have been helpful.

• True 1

4 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I def took his side all game long 😂

I have gone against him a few times. I'm currently on chapter 13 and the game is so fucking well made.

3 hours ago, Ghost_MH said:

Making this game more open with a bunch of side quests would ruin how well paced it is. Most games with tons of side quests hurt from pacing issues. Inserting time for the player to do side quests means you have to constantly leave your story in a place where you can naturally pause the main storyline. Either that or you end up with those games where you unnaturally stop the flow. I'm talking about games where you're ordered to deliver a message to a kingdom ASAP and then when you get there, you futz around with the citizens for the next ten hours instead of actually delivering the message.

Guardians' best aspect is the story, so anything that distracts from that would not have been helpful.

Couldn't agree more.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Reached chapter 15 so I'm closing in to the end. It's not stop action at this point and still impressing me.

Anyone else think this is a better game than the Mass Effect games? It's so fucking similar but imo better.

They're very different games. Better story? Absolutely. Better pacing and characters and voice acting? Yes. No doubt. I'm kind of iffy on the gameplay.

Nope. Actually, you're right. The only thing I like better is the universe Mass Effect builds. The Mass Effect trilogy along with modern Fallout have already overtaken in my eyes by Outer Worlds.

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

Reached chapter 15 so I'm closing in to the end. It's not stop action at this point and still impressing me.

Anyone else think this is a better game than the Mass Effect games? It's so fucking similar but imo better.

I think Mass Effect has a better world and gameplay to be honest. The different classes and abilities and squad combinations in Mass Effect were more engaging to me than what's here.  this outclasses ME in writing and acting for sure.

I’ve never played M.E. but everyone seem to like that series. Seeing a lot of same stuff for this game and with some Xmas Amazon GCs burning a hole in my pocket. I went ahead and purchased GotG for my XSX and should be here tomorrow. The $40Cnd price also helped out a lot in the decision too

I’m on chapter 7 and so far this is one of the biggest surprises this year. I really don’t have anything bad to say about this game. I wish there were maybe a little more exploration but that’s about it for me. That being said, it is pretty linear. But there’s just enough in the world to discover (lore, currency, cosmetic upgrades, etc) to keep everything interesting. This is another game I went into pretty much blind and I’m glad I did.  

• Like 1

On 12/26/2021 at 5:35 AM, Mercury33 said:

This is how I normally feel about games, but it’s a gorgeous world and I would to be able to explore it a little more. It doesn’t even have to be side quests, but maybe a more open city with more main quest line stuff to do to explore. Not the whole game, just some larger sections that aren’t quite as funneled.