Guardians of the Galaxy - Information Thread, update: March release for GamePass announced

Keyser_Soze

On 11/7/2021 at 2:46 PM, skillzdadirecta said:

I beat it the other day and it's definitely in the running for game of the year for me and one of the best stories I've ever played in a game.

After beating the game, it's definitely one of the best stories I've ever played through. I don't mean like good story for a videogame, I mean just a good story in general. There aren't really a great number of games that manage to elevate to that distinction.

Right now, this and Metroid Dread are my games of the year.

17 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

After beating the game, it's definitely one of the best stories I've ever played through. I don't mean like good story for a videogame, I mean just a good story in general. There aren't really a great number of games that manage to elevate to that distinction.

Right now, this and Metroid Dread are my games of the year.

That's music to my ears. I'll be playing this soon. Did you play Psycohonauts 2? If so, is that in your running for goty as well?

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

That's music to my ears. I'll be playing this soon. Did you play Psycohonauts 2? If so, is that in your running for goty as well?

I have not. I was meaning to play it since it hit Game Pass, but there have been a lot of short games over the last two months that have gobbled up my attention. It is currently taking up space on my PC, so I will get to it eventually.

39 minutes ago, best3444 said:

It is for me. This will probably be in my top 3 GOTY as well. Loving every minute so far. 

I've been enjoying this quite a bit, even though it tried to kill my PS5. Somehow the game got corrupted, I got a notification to delete the game and then my PS5 shut down and wouldn't turn back on for a day. I was starting to think about the warranty process when it finally booted back up, I was able to delete the game, re-install it, and keep playing. I've still had some odd audio issues here and there, and it would only show one dialog option for a while until I rebooted it again. I don't know how common, but there are definitely bugs in the PS5 version.

Most of the time it has been working fine, and it's been a real pleasure to play. As someone that isn't into comic books and pretty much only knows these characters from the movies, it is hard to get over the initial feeling that these are knock-off versions. Especially since their characterizations are all so similar to the films, even though their backstories vary considerably.

That said, it's been a ton of fun to hangout with these guardians. The chit-chat is constantly fun and really makes the game far more enjoyable. Little in the game is challenging, and there aren't really puzzles so much as a few building blocks that make sure you can put a square peg in a square hole, but it doesn't matter too much because the banter is to notch.

At times there's almost too much talking. I regularly cut off a conversation because I accidentally advanced too far. I wasn't bee-lining it through the levels, generally keeping my eye out for collectibles and checking things out, but even doing that there was hardly a moment the guardians weren't talking.

The combat has been engaging enough, though I wouldn't call it a stand-out feature. I the system of keeping the player in control of Quill and sending out commands to teammates works well, and you're gathering new skills quickly enough, but often the skills didn't seem that different or useful.

Neither the gameplay nor the format of the game is at all unique or different from what we've seen before. It's a pretty standard, linear action adventure game that's actually pretty old school in more than a few ways. Still, the story is well told, the combat is fun enough, and the characters are largely a joy to hang out with. Very recommended.

5 hours ago, TwinIon said:

I've been enjoying this quite a bit, even though it tried to kill my PS5. Somehow the game got corrupted, I got a notification to delete the game and then my PS5 shut down and wouldn't turn back on for a day. I was starting to think about the warranty process when it finally booted back up, I was able to delete the game, re-install it, and keep playing. I've still had some odd audio issues here and there, and it would only show one dialog option for a while until I rebooted it again. I don't know how common, but there are definitely bugs in the PS5 version.

Most of the time it has been working fine, and it's been a real pleasure to play. As someone that isn't into comic books and pretty much only knows these characters from the movies, it is hard to get over the initial feeling that these are knock-off versions. Especially since their characterizations are all so similar to the films, even though their backstories vary considerably.

That said, it's been a ton of fun to hangout with these guardians. The chit-chat is constantly fun and really makes the game far more enjoyable. Little in the game is challenging, and there aren't really puzzles so much as a few building blocks that make sure you can put a square peg in a square hole, but it doesn't matter too much because the banter is to notch.

At times there's almost too much talking. I regularly cut off a conversation because I accidentally advanced too far. I wasn't bee-lining it through the levels, generally keeping my eye out for collectibles and checking things out, but even doing that there was hardly a moment the guardians weren't talking.

The combat has been engaging enough, though I wouldn't call it a stand-out feature. I the system of keeping the player in control of Quill and sending out commands to teammates works well, and you're gathering new skills quickly enough, but often the skills didn't seem that different or useful.

Neither the gameplay nor the format of the game is at all unique or different from what we've seen before. It's a pretty standard, linear action adventure game that's actually pretty old school in more than a few ways. Still, the story is well told, the combat is fun enough, and the characters are largely a joy to hang out with. Very recommended.

I'm playing this soon thanks to @ManUtdRedDevils buying it for me! 

• Like 1

I'm really struggling to even conceive how a story involving a trash panda as part of the main cast could be "one of the best stories ever" even if we didn't extend it beyond video games. How does it compare to something like, say, Shadowbringers, or 999? I've seen people enjoying this game, but this thread marks the first time I've seen "best story ever" sentiment, which makes me interested if a bit skeptical.

9 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Close enough for government work!

I think it’s less that the story itself stands up with the titans of pen, but more that for what it is supposed to be and compared to other things of it’s sort, it’s on the higher end of writing. So, you’d be comparing to Marvel movies and comics and stuff, not Moby Dick.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, stepee said:

I think it’s less that the story itself stands up with the titans of pen, but more that for what it is supposed to be and compared to other things of it’s sort, it’s on the higher end of writing. So, you’d be comparing to Marvel movies and comics and stuff, not Moby Dick.

I think the last superhero movie I watched was like... Hellboy in 2003 or something, so I have no frame of reference at all.

As far as the story goes, it's well told, well written and well acted and doesn't take itself too seriously at all. It's fun with just the right amount of drama and seriousness while genuinely making me laugh out loud more than once. Is it War and Peace? No. It's not trying to be. But it's leagues better than anything self important, over rated "Serious" game makers like Kojima or David Gage has done. I'd take a well told light hearted romp over some super serious pretentious arthouse bullshit any day. If you like the superhero genre and or Marvel movies, you'll probably like this. If you don't, I don't see it really changing anyone's mind to be honest. Buyer beware.

34 minutes ago, stepee said:

32 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

I think the last superhero movie I watched was like... Hellboy in 2003 or something, so I have no frame of reference at all.

Videogame stories suck. Even the supposed best game videogame stories suck. This Guardians game isn't getting an Oscar for best screenplay or anything like that. Just laugh off that notion. This game, however, would be up there with the better, recent Marvel movies. If you haven't seen anything since Hellboy, yeah, I'd say this is as good Ron Perlman's Hellboy. It's at least as well cast.

25 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

Videogame stories suck. Even the supposed best game videogame stories suck. This Guardians game isn't getting an Oscar for best screenplay or anything like that. Just laugh off that notion. This game, however, would be up there with the better, recent Marvel movies. If you haven't seen anything since Hellboy, yeah, I'd say this is as good Ron Perlman's Hellboy. It's at least as well cast.

I'd say MOST videogame stories suck, even though the ones that are considered "good". There are exceptions and overall the quality has gotten better in recent years... The Witcher 3, God of War 2018, The Spiderman games, Last of Us 1 and 2, Red Dead Redemption, Dragon Age, Mass Effect and some others are all games that have legit well told stories. Most of the others are straight to video, sci-fi channel level which I typically don't minf because if the gameplay is good, who cares? The Resident Evil games have stories that are straight up non sensical but the fact that you're actually playing those games makes up for it. But yeah, Guardians of the Galaxy's story and performances stand up on their own which is why the game can have long stretches of the characters just talking with very little action. Normally that would drive me crazy, but these guys are so entertaining to I wished I could rewind some of the dialogue sometimes.

So my wife has asperger's. I mention this because she is very often hyper literal about things, so if I say there's nothing on the menu she gives me a slant eyed look because there's plenty on the menu. It's not my fault I'm not really up for the wild vegan place with kale smoothies.

I don't mean no games have ever had good stories. Night in the Woods is amazingly personal and made me want to talk to my mom more. The Telltale Walking Dead games were fantastic. I still quote Grim Fandango. The Stanley Parable has one if the best scripts out there. It's just rare and most games that are touted as having great stories are made for Syfy/Lifetime channel nonsense.