China poised to ban bitcoin mining "soon"

Let's see:

One the one hand, a Chinese lab might have unleashed COVID-19 upon the world.

On the other hand, China might put a stake through the heart of this cryptocurrency madness.

I guess life really is full of trade-offs!

GettyImages-880077228-760x380.jpg
ARSTECHNICA.COM

Country’s top financial regulator homes in on the source.

52 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

On the other hand, China might put a stake through the heart of this cryptocurrency madness.

Except that some people think an outright Chinese mining ban will be good in the long run since at least it'll remove the volatility that you get from people reacting to trying to read the tea leaves on rumors and speculation about what China may or may not do.

15 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I would be concerned if crypto had shown any utility at all.

New York University economist Nouriel Roubini shares that perspective!

social
WWW.MARKETWATCH.COM

Economists Nouriel Roubini dismisses the idea that cryptocurrencies are a new asset class, citing the lack of “cash flow or utility that can be used to...

Bitcoin believers honestly think that crypto will herald in some post-scarcity utopia where poor people walk around with GPUs in their pockets and pay for street food via coin transfers. If someone starts talking to me about crypto in real life (beyond admitting that they invested just to get rich, and it worked/failed), I ignore them.

Honestly the most confusing aspect of the bitcoin / crypto / NFT conversations I have is that when I call it a scam, advocates point out that people have gotten rich / made money off these things. No shit? Some people made money with Madoff, some people are at the top of MLM schemes, etc. I don’t doubt the underlying tech works, I don’t doubt that people have legitimately made money off crypto. That doesn’t make it any less of a scam, particularly things like NFTs.

Back in 2014 I posted something like “Bitcoin is the stupidest thing the internet has come up with” on my FB page and it is probably the truest opinion I’ve ever expressed