What grinds you down the most about your job?

Fizzzzle

Or do you just love it all the time?

For me, it's the unpredictability. I don't mean in a monetary way, more in a general life sense. My days off change all the time. The time of day I work changes all the time. What that leads to is that it's impossible to set any lasting routine. I know of a few bars where everyone has set schedules almost all the time AND actually make good money, but I've never been able to work for one because people tend to stay at those places for a very, very long time. At those places, a new job opens up like once every five years.

2 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Clients or workers?

Both unfortunately. Its the reality, I guess, of poor management handling wealthy people. There is so much money to be made and managed that people tend to just focus on what they want and not how what they want fits into the bigger whole. So back stabbing, lying, etc is the norm. It wares the "soul" down, at least for me after 20 years of it. 

19 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

People lying. Far and away the most painful aspect of my job. My job is plenty hard enough without people being "strategic" on top of the actual work load. 

This when it comes to my management team. Not filling me in on certain details or lying to me about other details about my job and those under me. We rarely see eye to eye but I'm highly respected in my building. Not bragging in the slightest but I just won another state award of excellence for my work I did through the height of the pandemic last year. Blah blah I know just sayin.

Also, dealing with lazy pieces of shit that work in my area. I have to be constantly on them to get off their phones, iPads etc. It's a production facility and they think it's ok to sit on their asses as machines are running requiring them to part take in the activity lol.

Overall, I'm extremely thankful for my job as I make good money and there is always overtime available. 

It feels like no matter where I go or what I do, I'm going to be stuck at the lowest level. Oh sure, everyone loves my strong work ethic. If something needs done correctly and efficiently, they bring it to me and not my coworkers. But being a hard worker isn't enough. You need to be a "people person", and that's really tough for me when I'm surrounded by idiots. 

15 minutes ago, Rachel said:

What grinds me down most about my job is not having one and seeing people around me progress in their careers and have regular income and support themselves and that’s really hard to see because that used to be me and I don’t know if I’ll ever get there again but I really hope I will. 

What do you want to do? Short term or long term?

38 minutes ago, Rachel said:

What grinds me down most about my job is not having one and seeing people around me progress in their careers and have regular income and support themselves and that’s really hard to see because that used to be me and I don’t know if I’ll ever get there again but I really hope I will. 

Can you get into temp work and then work yourself into being hired? That's how I've gotten jobs in the past. Going through a temp service, put in time and do good work, and then maybe get hired on. I know you've done temp work before but I don't know your situation at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Rachel said:

Guys I appreciate but I don’t need help with job search tips or how to find a job. That’s not the issue. I’m good in that area. I am just not medically well enough to work and haven’t been for a long time. When I do work I can only do very limited hours, it’s not enough to support myself. I just wish I was able to work full time permanent, not short term temp or part time. I’d love to be able to have a regular position and income like when I was doing better. Maybe I will get there again one day, I hope so!

I see. Ok, well as you know I always wish you the best and I know you know what the fuck you're doing. You're extremely intelligent and have a lot to offer. It's unfortunate about your health because you would excel significantly in any job you would do. 

8 minutes ago, Rachel said:

Guys I appreciate it but I’m not looking for career advice or job search tips. That’s not the issue. I’m good in that area. I am just not medically well enough to work full time and haven’t been for a long time. When I do work I can only do very limited hours, it’s not enough to support myself.

I just wish I was able to work full time permanent, not short term temp or part time. I’d love to be able to have a regular position and income like when I was doing better. Maybe I will get there again one day, I hope so!

I'm sure you will

3 hours ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

Both unfortunately. Its the reality, I guess, of poor management handling wealthy people. There is so much money to be made and managed that people tend to just focus on what they want and not how what they want fits into the bigger whole. So back stabbing, lying, etc is the norm. It wares the "soul" down, at least for me after 20 years of it. 

2 hours ago, best3444 said:

This when it comes to my management team. Not filling me in on certain details or lying to me about other details about my job and those under me. We rarely see eye to eye but I'm highly respected in my building. Not bragging in the slightest but I just won another state award of excellence for my work I did through the height of the pandemic last year. Blah blah I know just sayin.

Also, dealing with lazy pieces of shit that work in my area. I have to be constantly on them to get off their phones, iPads etc. It's a production facility and they think it's ok to sit on their asses as machines are running requiring them to part take in the activity lol.

Overall, I'm extremely thankful for my job as I make good money and there is always overtime available. 

lies liar GIF by The Maury Show

6 minutes ago, Rachel said:

That is very sweet of you. Thank you. 

Thank you munchkin. 

I didn't mean that to sound dismissive or patronizing btw. Not that you necessarily thought it was. I just wanted to clarify. It seems like you are going through a low. There will be a high again. The lows don't last forever. Neither do the highs, unfortunately.

I love my job (teaching children) - but it can be mentally exhausting dealing with everything outside of the classroom at times. I’d never say it grinds be down, at least not yet - but it would be nice to only have to deal with teaching children and nothing else. 

2 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

I love my job (teaching children) - but it can be mentally exhausting dealing with everything outside of the classroom at times. I’d never say it grinds be down, at least not yet - but it would be nice to only have to deal with teaching children and nothing else. 

Being a new father on top of that must be a lot of responsibility. Plus your workouts you do. You seem tough as hell though.

Internal teams that are borderline impossible to deal with because they have a ‘cover my ass’, show-no-iniative mindset, which means that when there is a problem they practically refuse to take ownership (even if the problem isn’t their fault and no one would think ill of them). 

46 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Being a new father on top of that must be a lot of responsibility. Plus your workouts you do. You seem tough as hell though.

That's very kind of you to say. It helps that I love about 90% of the things that I do. It means I'm happy - but at the moment use always very tired. 

5 hours ago, gamer.tv said:

Sounds like you are about to self-implode

Early mornings/Late nights on all weekend days, and always being on call. One of my 2021 goals is to consolidate our various operations and build out my team so I’m not the only person who knows how fix <insert emergency situation>. That’s a tricky thing and it is hard to trust others to take those things off your plate when you’ve been doing them for years. But we are on track to have 7 locations by the end of the year and I couldn’t keep being the sole point of contact on these things even if I wanted to.

Working for a company that’s sold often (twice in the last two years, 3 in 10). Each sale is basically starting over, hearing promises that never materialize, and dealing with unrealistic expectations due to the sale price being bullshit high.  It’s exhausting.

• Sad 1

18 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

Early mornings/Late nights on all weekend days, and always being on call. One of my 2021 goals is to consolidate our various operations and build out my team so I’m not the only person who knows how fix <insert emergency situation>. That’s a tricky thing and it is hard to trust others to take those things off your plate when you’ve been doing them for years. But we are on track to have 7 locations by the end of the year and I couldn’t keep being the sole point of contact on these things even if I wanted to.

I'd put a bullet in my brain if I was on call 24/7. 

No worry when you don’t have a job :poop:

although I got a lot of anxiety from my last job after suffering a permanent injury to my wrist on the job. I would then be calling on my days of work wondering what random stores I had to work for them and the where. So one day I’m 10-15min from my house or I’m an hour away in downtown Toronto. Before they had me work small store loads I was delivering marketing material to stores and display racks with my own car. Again I was anywhere and everywhere and sometimes 2.5hrs away from home for a single rack delivery. Actually had to replace my windshield on my 2 months new car, after a piece of wood came flying off a truck on one of the highways. Since my car was so new, no Speedy auto shop had any quick repairs in a an hour or so. They taped up my smashed in screen and I drove 2 hours home on the highway to an auto repair shop. Plus no set hour start and end times. Someday 6am start and the next 11am with the same 10hr shift to do. Sometimes I think being let go was the best thing to happen to me mentally

• Sad 1

2 hours ago, sblfilms said:

Not that it's the same thing, but when i was last in a managerial position, when people didn't show up or whatever, that just meant I had to drop what I'm doing and come in. I've had so many bosses that are like "not my problem" when they're not there. Like, bitch you signed up for this. It's good to hear you take your position seriously. You sound like a good boss. I do hope you get a solid system in place, though.

3 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

Not that it's the same thing, but when i was last in a managerial position, when people didn't show up or whatever, that just meant I had to drop what I'm doing and come in. I've had so many bosses that are like "not my problem" when they're not there. Like, bitch you signed up for this. It's good to hear you take your position seriously. You sound like a good boss. I do hope you get a solid system in place, though.

For sure, I always tell my management team there is no time that I'm off the clock. My job is to give them the tools and support they need to do their job, and that means my time doesn't belong to me. Fortunately my wife gets it, and there are plenty of times throughout the year where we aren't busy and I have a LOT of freedom, especially on weekdays. But I have friends who still ask us to come hang out on Saturday nights and I'm just like "YOU KNOW I'LL BE ON MY PHONE AND MAYBE EVEN HAVE TO LEAVE SO DON'T GET MAD!"

One of the other things that is really important to me as the bossmang is to show my crew that I'll do literally anything I'd ask them. So I'll show up and sling corn, or clean toilets. I ain't above any of that.

12 minutes ago, sblfilms said:

One of the other things that is really important to me as the bossmang is to show my crew that I'll do literally anything I'd ask them. So I'll show up and sling corn, or clean toilets. I ain't above any of that.

That's how you do it right there my man.