Starfield - Information Thread, update: May Update (detailed surface maps, difficulty options, display settings) to release on May 15

SaysWho?

1 hour ago, Spork3245 said:

he got a review code? From Bethesda themselves to implement what they’re contractually obligated not to? 

is this going to be like the Jedi Survivor mod where you’ll need to donate on Patreon to get an invite to his discord for the mod files? 

I was going to take off on 9/1, but then our company President announced they were giving us the day as a mental health / employee celebration day. So I canceled my PTO for the day. Now I get a four day weekend with the game. 

and it being a holiday weekend our VP usually insists on a half day the day before. So Thursday 8/31 I should be home by lunch. So I can get a nap in before going to a concert and then getting home and playing some Starfield for like 4 days straight. 

• Halal 1
  • Hype 1

24 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I was going to take off on 9/1, but then our company President announced they were giving us the day as a mental health / employee celebration day. So I canceled my PTO for the day. Now I get a four day weekend with the game. 

and it being a holiday weekend our VP usually insists on a half day the day before. So Thursday 8/31 I should be home by lunch. So I can get a nap in before going to a concert and then getting home and playing some Starfield for like 4 days straight. 

Very nice. 

I’ll be honest, I don’t really care all that much about hearing gameplay stuff, unless anything feels oppressively bad. The #1 thing I want to know is how much and what optimizations I need to make to have a 60fps experience with good visuals and no FSR. If the answer is set it at 1440 and put everything on High/Ultra, then cool, great even. But if the answer is “lol not without at least a 3080/4070 or low-mid settings” then I’m going to be a bit sad. But I’d still like to know. 

everything else I’m really good to wait on until 9/1 or whatever time it actually unlocks late 8/31. 

• Halal 1

On 8/18/2023 at 11:53 AM, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's simply not possible to draw any inference about the state of a software product from a version number without knowing what the developer's internal rubric for version numbering constitutes.

Further, while the bugs were unacceptable in previous Bethesda games, fixing all those bugs doesn't make the games fun to play. The lack of care and technical prowess when it comes to interesting gameplay was by far the bigger sin to me. It's like they almost never even tried. At times it felt like they made the combat anemic and unfun on purpose or something.

Turbo Bethesda fans will say the point of the games isn't the combat, but I think that's fucking delusional. The point of Disco Elysium isn't the combat. This is evident by the fact that there's barely anything even resembling combat in the game. Bethesda, meanwhile, packs their games to the fucking gills with dull, uninteresting combat. You do it more than anything else. There was never an excuse and there never will be!

25 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Further, while the bugs were unacceptable in previous Bethesda games, fixing all those bugs doesn't make the games fun to play. The lack of care and technical prowess when it comes to interesting gameplay was by far the bigger sin to me. It's like they almost never even tried. At times it felt like they made the combat anemic and unfun on purpose or something.

Turbo Bethesda fans will say the point of the games isn't the combat, but I think that's fucking delusional. The point of Disco Elysium isn't the combat. This is evident by the fact that there's barely anything even resembling combat in the game. Bethesda, meanwhile, packs their games to the fucking gills with dull, uninteresting combat. You do it more than anything else. There was never an excuse and there never will be!

I completely agree here. The combat in Starfield will be the same so if I were you I'd pass on this game. 

30 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:
starfield-1686783138331.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Bethesda’s Pete Hines has addressed criticisms surrounding Starfield’s leaked start screen, while also revealing that the landing menu was one of the first things that the design team settled on.

People are so fucking mentally ill they are complaining about start screens? 

• Haha 1
  • Halal 1

2 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Will it now?

Yea. From the footage it even looks like the enemies die with the same animations too. I personally never had any issues with Bethesda games and their combat. I mean V.A.T.S was awesome in Fallout and Skyrim was half-way decent. 

2 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Yea. From the footage it even looks like the enemies die with the same animations too. I personally never had any issues with Bethesda games and their combat. I mean V.A.T.S was awesome in Fallout and Skyrim was half-way decent. 

You think you're escaping 15 full pages of complaints that easy? I'm already prepping my complaining fingers.

hand-exercise.gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, skillzdadirecta said:
starfield-1686783138331.jpg?width=1280
WWW.IGN.COM

Bethesda’s Pete Hines has addressed criticisms surrounding Starfield’s leaked start screen, while also revealing that the landing menu was one of the first things that the design team settled on.

as far as I care of the start screen is more than a black screen with white text that’s says “press any button” it will be over designed. It’s a start screen. If you’re spending more than 5 seconds on the start screen you’re playing the game wrong. 

• Halal 1

I believe the start screen is supposed to tie into the  game's "NASA Punk" aesthetic. The point being that the UI, starting with the title screen, is supposed to be this really stripped down looking "computer terminal" look from the 80s. I don't see the controversy here? 

• True 1

44 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

I wonder if now that they are a first party studio it’s easier to fast track patches too without the lengthy and costly approval process everyone else needs to go through. 

Well to approve a patch it has to go through Microsoft so if Microsoft is putting out the patch it's already approved. :p

Starfield_Trailer_Pilot-11911260c603375e
WWW.VIDEOGAMESCHRONICLE.COM

Almost 40 minutes of footage has been published ahead of next month'

The opening of Starfield has been published online after someone obtained a copy of the game ahead of its official release.

While we won’t link to the footage here, the leaker published around 40 minutes of off-screen footage from the start of the game, showing the opening gameplay section and character customisation options.

Multiple YouTube uploads of the footage are no longer available due to copyright claims made by Bethesda’s parent company ZeniMax Media, but the footage is also circulating on social media sites including Twitter.

2 hours ago, Kal-El814 said:

Still bananas to me that companies can copyright strike shit like this.

It goes to show how “generous” they are to allow some people to have entire careers playing and streaming their games. Developers/Publishers could strike them all. Nintendo tried. I don’t know if they’re as draconian as they were for a bit. 

It’s not that wild to me though. It’s just further proof that we don’t own anything really, and never have. Like how Disney can stop a school from showing one of their movies. 

Im not as bothered by it in this case because it’s just people trying to spoil prerelease footage and get a boon in viewers since they can show stuff nobody else can. I am all for killing spoilers before release. 

• Halal 1

7 minutes ago, Spawn_of_Apathy said:

Im not as bothered by it in this case because it’s just people trying to spoil prerelease footage and get a boon in viewers since they can show stuff nobody else can. I am all for killing spoilers before release. 

The existence of the spoiler-protection-industrial-complex is foolish to begin with. It’s shitty when people go out of their way to TRY to spoil things for other people, but if something’s out or someone got a copy of something legitimately? It’s fair game.

I’ve seen some research which suggests that spoilers can affect someone’s enjoyment of a movie at theaters before they see it, which makes sense. If someone cares enough to go in fresh, having that ruined is bad. Buuuuuuuuuuuuuuut I’m unconvinced there’s anything but an incredibly small number of people who wouldn’t play a game or ultimately pay to see a movie because they saw something spoiled.

And in cases where someone gets Starfield early, I don’t think copyright strikes are in the interest of keeping people from being spoiled, it’s about protecting revenue from official channels who have launch content planned, so fuck it.

Yeah fuck them... I unsubscribed a youtuber I had JUST subscribed to because he spoiled a plot point to a comic I hadn't read yet in thumbnail and TITLE to his video. The book in question had only been out for a couple of HOURS. I understand if folks aren't bothered by spoilers... I get it. But some of us ARE bothered by them and there's a difference between me going into a thread where spoilers are likely to occur and me just randomly scrolling my youtube feed and getting spoiled by something because some youtuber wanted clicks. And @Spawn_of_Apathy is absolutely right... companies could shut ALL of this shit down as copyright infringment if they wanted to but its not in their interests to do so from a PR standpoint. For the most part, they legally could because Youtubers aren't getting permission to use ANY of this I.P. and are making money off of it with no benefit to the people who actually MADE the I.P.

• Halal 2

You not liking spoilers is not grounds for legal or moderated action against those people. If someone comes up and spoils a movie to you while you're in line for that movie, you can whoop their ass, but you ain't gonna call the cops or a lawyer because that's fucking stupid.

• Confused 1

Just now, Xbob42 said:

You not liking spoilers is not grounds for legal or moderated action against those people. If someone comes up and spoils a movie to you while you're in line for that movie, you can whoop their ass, but you ain't gonna call the cops or a lawyer because that's fucking stupid.

Yeah no one is saying anything even CLOSE to that. 

• Haha 2