Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (20 Apr 2024) - US House passes military aid bill for Ukraine

In some alternate universe we laugh about how now Ukraine is invading Transnistria to stop the Russians there. Then all of the sudden Ukraine takes the rest of Moldova, and moves on Berlin and Paris, claiming that Russian sympathizers are secretly embedded in the government. And it's too late to stop them, because Ukraine now has all the weapons in the world and every single person in the country is mobilized, and now they are taking boats to North America.

• Sicko 1

WARNING: This video shows Russian troops dying at the 1:32 mark. The reason I am sharing it is because it's footage from some kind of civilian drone that literally flies above soldiers, stays still, and then just drops a bomb on them. At the 1:32 mark it drops a bomb into the open sunroof of a car that Russian soldiers take shelter in (to escape whatever is firing at them, since they apparently don't see or hear the drone). 

47 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

This probably had something to do with Lavrov walking WWIII comments back:

china-response-ww3-comments.webp?w=1600&
WWW.NEWSWEEK.COM

The Chinese Foreign Ministry said that "all parties should...support dialogue and negotiation to prevent the expansion and prolongation of conflicts."

"World War III would be incredibly bad for our economic interests, so let's not do that, shall we?"

• True 2

ISW analysis for 29 April 2022:

WWW.UNDERSTANDINGWAR.ORG

Russian forces made limited advances west of Severodonetsk on April 29 but remain stalled south of Izyum. Ukrainian forces in eastern Ukraine are likely successfully conducting a maneuver defense rather than holding static positions, redeploying

Russian forces made limited advances west of Severodonetsk on April 29 but remain stalled south of Izyum. Ukrainian forces in eastern Ukraine are likely successfully conducting a maneuver defense rather than holding static positions, redeploying mechanized reserves to resist attempted Russian advances. Concentrated Russian artillery is enabling minor Russian advances, but Ukrainian positions remain strong. Limited Ukrainian counterattacks around Kharkiv city may additionally force Russian forces to redeploy units intended for the Izyum axis to hold these positions.

Key Takeaways

• Russian forces likely intend to leave a minimal force in Mariupol necessary to block Ukrainian positions in Azovstal and prevent partisan actions and are deploying as much combat power as possible to support offensive operations elsewhere.
  • Ukrainian forces are successfully slowing Russian attacks in eastern Ukraine, which secured only minor advances west of Severodonetsk and did not advance on the Izyum front in the last 24 hours.
  • Ukrainian counterattacks in Kharkiv are unlikely to develop into a major counteroffensive in the coming days but may force Russia to redeploy forces intended for the Izyum axis to hold their defensive positions around the city.
  • Ukrainian intelligence continued to warn that Russian false flag attacks in Transnistria are intended to draw Transnistria into the war in some capacity and coerce Moldova to abandon pro-European policies.

DraftUkraineCoTApril29,2022.png

9 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

ISW analysis for 29 April 2022:

WWW.UNDERSTANDINGWAR.ORG

Russian forces made limited advances west of Severodonetsk on April 29 but remain stalled south of Izyum. Ukrainian forces in eastern Ukraine are likely successfully conducting a maneuver defense rather than holding static positions, redeploying

DraftUkraineCoTApril29,2022.png

On the Russian side, I'm hearing the plan is to ultimately divide Ukraine along the Dnieper River, while Odessa and the Black Sea coast become Russian territory.

The Russian partisans are really pushing the 'we don't want to take over all of Ukraine, we just want the Eastern territories and a Russia-friendly rump state in the West' line hard.  It's half of their explanation for the lackluster progress.  The other half is their claim that they're not employing 'blitzkrieg warfare', but are focusing on encircling the Ukrainians while minimizing civilian casualties.   (And that, of course, the Western media isn't portraying things accurately)  So we're not seeing a dysfunctional RU military campaign--we're seeing 'restraint.'

@CayceG  @Commissar SFLUFAN. How much do you buy the line that Russia's been holding back, and that a divided Ukraine is the real goal, not total conquest?

I mean the Russian Blitzkrieg ended in failure once it hit resistance and they couldn't get resupplied and just got wrecked in the north, they're not holding back, they've just adjusted their goals to be realistic, and even those are probably not going to happen.

3 hours ago, Signifyin(g)Monkey said:

On the Russian side, I'm hearing the plan is to ultimately divide Ukraine along the Dnieper River, while Odessa and the Black Sea coast become Russian territory.

The Russian partisans are really pushing the 'we don't want to take over all of Ukraine, we just want the Eastern territories and a Russia-friendly rump state in the West' line hard.  It's half of their explanation for the lackluster progress.  The other half is their claim that they're not employing 'blitzkrieg warfare', but are focusing on encircling the Ukrainians while minimizing civilian casualties.   (And that, of course, the Western media isn't portraying things accurately)  So we're not seeing a dysfunctional RU military campaign--we're seeing 'restraint.'

@CayceG  @Commissar SFLUFAN. How much do you buy the line that Russia's been holding back, and that a divided Ukraine is the real goal, not total conquest?

I will begin this by saying I'm no expert. All of this is guesswork on my part. 

I think Russia's initial goal was two-fold: 1. Take Kyiv and oust Zelenskiy and 2. Reinforce the Donbas and solidify control between there and Crimea. Clearly, Russia has been embarrassed with their performance here. Kyiv hasn't fallen. But they have seized the south, including Kherson, the largest nuclear power plant in Europe, and the "land bridge to Crimea." Like Paladin said, I think that Russia has recalibrated their goals in light of the failures. 

Looking at how the invasion has progressed, I think that Russia's actions could appear to some to be restraint. Outside of Kherson, Kyiv, and Mariupol, they have largely avoided cities. Now, because of this, there has been less civilian casualties. But I think it wasn't for humanitarian reason or restraint, but rather the calculation that it would have tied up too many troops and take up too much time. The goal required speed. What we saw--especially in the north--WAS a blitzkrieg. There was a rush to Kyiv that ultimately failed as it met much stiffer resistance than it expected. Part of Russia's failings are indeed due to dysfunction with logistics, command, and corruption, but a lot of their assumptions were based on incorrect ideas about Ukrainian pacifism and non-resistance. That didn't happen. 

So I think the recalibrated plan is to essentially capture as much land in the east as possible and hold what they have. This is proving to be exceptionally difficult and they likely won't capture substantially more land than they have now. While they may have ambitions beyond what they currently possess, I think southern Ukraine from Crimea to the Dneiper River and over to Donbas is what Russia is looking to hold. 

• Like 1
  • Halal 1