Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

4 minutes ago, Jason said:

Fuck him. And if anyone thinks Ukraine is "woke," they are imbeciles. Yeah, compared to...Russia, I guess? But Ukraine is a very conservative place, socially, compared to western nations. And of course Ukraine is relatively corrupt, but they also still are far more democratic than many nations.

45 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Ah, here is what I was talking about:

jY6k9kpTURBXy9kZTBkNmY0ZjZmZDc2Yzk4NzY5M
WWW.ONET.PL

– Mamy rozbijać rosyjskie kolumny. Polujemy na cysterny. Najpierw uderzamy w przód kolumny, aby uniemożliwić im dalszy przejazd i spowodować panikę. Potem celujemy w cysternę – z polskim ochotnikiem, który walczy ramię w ramię z Ukraińcami, rozmawia w Kijowie korespondent Onetu Marcin Wyrwał.

Interview with Polish volunteer in the Ukrainian foreign legion:

• he's part of a 25 people ambush group that waits on smaller roads or in forests
  • 10 soldiers in his group are armed with Javelins
  • his group has had one engagement with a Russian convoy
  • the main objectives are to hit the front of the convoy first (to block the road), then to hit fuel trucks
  • complains a lot about the cold, but suspects Russian soldiers are even more affected by it

EDIT - More details:

• Of the 120 people he is grouped with in total, 90 are from Japan, 5 are Polish, and the rest are American and British. Two of the Americans are pilots and were taken elsewhere once it was learned they could fly planes. 
  • Foreign volunteers are sent to cover forest roads with anti-tank weapons, and the professional Ukrainian army defends main roads

I'm quite surprised that there are 90 people from Japan of all places, volunteering to fight on behalf of Ukraine.  

Equally interesting is the two American pilots - it's doubtful they are qualified to fly MiGs, so I wonder what Ukraine is asking them to take on? 

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

I'm quite surprised that there are 90 people from Japan of all places, volunteering to fight on behalf of Ukraine.  

Equally interesting is the two American pilots - it's doubtful they are qualified to fly MiGs, so I wonder what Ukraine is asking them to take on? 

Yeah it's crazy to see people coming in from all over the world. I think Ukraine said something like 20,000+ foreign fighters so far from militaries around the world. There were reports from the UK in the last few days of a number of active soldiers going AWOL, suspected of traveling to Poland to enter Ukraine. Some special forces from Korea also volunteered. 

3 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Yeah it's crazy to see people coming in from all over the world. I think Ukraine said something like 20,000+ foreign fighters so far from militaries around the world. There were reports from the UK in the last few days of a number of active soldiers going AWOL, suspected of traveling to Poland to enter Ukraine. Some special forces from Korea also volunteered. 

If I was younger and in better shape (health-wise), I'd probably volunteer. There are a lot of former military people I suspect that are just looking for a noble cause to feel useful again.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Just now, brucoe said:

If I was younger and in better shape (health-wise), I'd probably volunteer. There are a lot of former military people I suspect that are just looking for a noble cause to feel useful again.

I'm sure there is an allure to a "just cause" war vs deployment to places like the Middle East.

• True 2

31 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Fuck him. And if anyone thinks Ukraine is "woke," they are imbeciles. Yeah, compared to...Russia, I guess? But Ukraine is a very conservative place, socially, compared to western nations. And of course Ukraine is relatively corrupt, but they also still are far more democratic than many nations.

The United States DEFINITELY doesn't have corruption. 

lol, they really are nationalizing McDonald's 

russia-targets-mcdonald-s-in-expanding-e
WWW.RAWSTORY.COM

McDonald's fast-food restaurants in Russia may open again against the corporation's wishes, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.On Tuesday, McDonald's announced it would close...

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Jason said:

lol, they really are nationalizing McDonald's 

russia-targets-mcdonald-s-in-expanding-e
WWW.RAWSTORY.COM

McDonald's fast-food restaurants in Russia may open again against the corporation's wishes, The Washington Post reported Wednesday.On Tuesday, McDonald's announced it would close...

This is gonna inspire our capitalists for sure!

Or .. they are like oh pls don't make me open daddy Putin, please don't make me make so much money. Oh wow you're forcing me to make so much money I couldn't say no they made me. 

29 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

When I adopted my Aussie, one of the questions they asked me was: 

What would you do with your dog if your life circumstances changed? For example, a new partner was allergic or you had to move?

My answer: they wouldn't be my partner for long, and the dog would get to go on a road trip to our new place. Easy question. <3

These people take it to another level. 🇺🇦

2 minutes ago, PaladinSolo said:

Also it appears the Russian planes don't have active GLONASS in most of their planes (Russian version of GPS), and some are even using Garmin civilian GPS devices (which fail to work at jet speeds, in many cases). Downed Russian fighter/bombers have been found with hand-written coordinates of targets on pieces of paper.

10 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Bayraktar killing the thing that is supposed to counter it.

Jesus the Russian military is a piece of shit. Just goes to show you when you have corruption baked into the system everything is fine until you have to do something. 

I read somewhere that Ukraine had 6 Pantsir S1s before the war started and that they've captured 6 of them from Russia since, they're like 13 million each.

1920px-MAKS_Airshow_2013_(Ramenskoye_Air

Canadian sniper with longest-range confirmed kill in history joins Ukrainian foreign legion:

292685?width=1200&crop=16_9&signature=5H
WWW.LBC.CO.UK

A deadly Canadian sniper has arrived in Ukraine to take the fight to Russia as Kyiv's "foreign legion" grows.

r9Xl3No.png

He previously volunteered with the Kurdish resistance against Isis in Iraq, CBC in Canada reports. The corporation left out his name to protect his family.

He was joined by three other ex-Canadian military servicemen, and said they were embraced with hugs and handshakes upon arriving in Ukraine.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, LazyPiranha said:

To think I used to believe that MGS and the whole nationless army thing was stupid.

I used to think all those articles and reports about US failing in wargames against technologically deficient opponents were stupid. This war seems to be bucking all sorts of expectations.