Россия invades Україна | UPDATE (30 May 2024) - Biden gives Ukraine permission to strike some targets inside Russia with American weapons

43 minutes ago, Air_Delivery said:

Putin’s view is that borders change, and so the borders of the old Russian imperium are still in play for Moscow to dominate now.

Mf doesn’t realize that borders change, yes, and have been forever, but that for the past century+ they have been changing towards fracturing into more regional national identities, not amalgamations like the USSR/Russian Empire/whatever. Russian nationalism may play well at home but it’s a complete nonstarter in these former Russian Empire/Soviet Republics. But if you subscribe to this Russian nationalism you don’t care about that because as Russians you paternalistically know what is good for these “little Russians” (in the case of Ukraine/Ukrainians)

26 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Mf doesn’t realize that borders change, yes, and have been forever, but that for the past century+ they have been changing towards fracturing into more regional national identities, not amalgamations like the USSR/Russian Empire/whatever. Russian nationalism may play well at home but it’s a complete nonstarter in these former Russian Empire/Soviet Republics. But if you subscribe to this Russian nationalism you don’t care about that because as Russians you paternalistically know what is good for these “little Russians” (in the case of Ukraine/Ukrainians)

This week's episode of Revolutions might as well be about this exact moment.

WWW.REVOLUTIONSPODCAST.COM

To Moscow! Direct Link: 10.88- The Moscow Directive

3 hours ago, Reputator said:
mag-ap21357380163362-1-1.jpg
WWW.POLITICO.COM

Putin is trying to take down the entire world order, the veteran Russia watcher said in an interview. But there are ways even ordinary Americans can fight back.

Fiona Hill is one of the most insightful and intelligent people I've heard speak about foreign affairs, and she really shines a light on how utterly we failed to stop this from happening.

Ms. Hill tends to be a bit too much of a neo-conservative hawk for my tastes, but that doesn't detract from the overall quality of this analysis at all.

Man I'm so depressed. I'm hating my job rn and people are dying because a bunch of fucking boomers, Joe Manchin is our Prime Minister, and maybe we die in a nuclear Holocaust. I've already planned it, if we know it's coming I'm just gonna spend my last days with my wife playing with my dogs as we turn to dust. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CitizenVectron said:

Some EU sources saying Poland already gave some, others saying none will be given.

020322NATO-POLANDphoto05.jpg
WWW.STRIPES.COM

NATO airspace will not be used to transfer fighter planes to the Ukrainian military, alliance leaders said Tuesday after a meeting in Poland.

Seems the bigger issue is having fighters fly directly for from a NATO country to Ukraine. Seems bringing them over by land would probably be fine, though.

• Guillotine 1

2 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

WWW.STRIPES.COM

NATO airspace will not be used to transfer fighter planes to the Ukrainian military, alliance leaders said Tuesday after a meeting in Poland.

Seems the bigger issue is having fighters fly directly for from a NATO country to Ukraine. Seems bringing them over by land would probably be fine, though.

Can they fly them to a gifted/donated carrier then to Ukraine? 

3 minutes ago, Ghost_MH said:

WWW.STRIPES.COM

This is an EU initiative, not a NATO one, which is the reason for this situation.

• Thanks 1

35 minutes ago, SuperSpreader said:

Man I'm so depressed. I'm hating my job rn and people are dying because a bunch of fucking boomers, Joe Manchin is our Prime Minister, and maybe we die in a nuclear Holocaust. I've already planned it, if we know it's coming I'm just gonna spend my last days with my wife playing with my dogs as we turn to dust. 

I feel you. My work has been shitty, surrounded by shitty people, then there this shit and I’m just kinda down on everything lately. 

1 minute ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I feel you. My work has been shitty, surrounded by shitty people, then there this shit and I’m just kinda down on everything lately. 

Ditto with you guys. I have barely been able to focus on work and when I had my 1:1 with my boss she admitted she’s struggling too so at least I’m not worried from a work performance perspective. Oh well… at least my Steam Deck arrives tomorrow so there’s that (yay escapism).

• Like 2
  • Shocked 1

It's unsurprising that many -- if not, most -- people are feeling what is effectively a collective PTSD due to two years of a global pandemic with a devastating conflict at the tail-end of it.  It also doesn't help that this is occurring during winter when the relative lack of sunlight in the Northern Hemisphere also acts as a mood suppressant. 

• True 2

3 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

It's unsurprising that many -- if not, most -- people are feeling what is effectively a collective PTSD due to two years of a global pandemic with a devastating conflict at the tail-end of it.  It also doesn't help that this is occurring during winter when the relative lack of sunlight in the Northern Hemisphere also acts as a mood suppressant. 

War is vile on every level but winter war is certainly especially grim. You look at those images of Ukraine's cities and can taste the post-nuclear-apocalypse in your mouth. 

• True 1

5 minutes ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

I personally believe a real part of the problem is that we live in a more global environment these days, YET these sorts of things happen around us, and we have no ability to hep make things better. It constantly reminds us that we're all just helpless and stuck at living in the whim of lots of bad actors.

1 minute ago, brucoe said:

I personally believe a real part of the problem is that we live in a more global environment these days, YET these sorts of things happen around us, and we have no ability to hep make things better. It constantly reminds us that we're all just helpless and stuck at living in the whim of lots of bad actors.

I’ve definitely come to that realization in the last 5 years or so. This is just another level of awful and I hate it. 

Rogan is everybody’s uncle that reflexively hits that share button on FB when something tickles their brain. A good reminder to be very careful what sources you use in fast moving news like an armed conflict. The misinformation machine of social media has created a whole new layer to the fog of war. USA Today had a reporter who was just fact checking photos and videos that were going around allegedly from the present, and showing where they actually came from. The engagement some of these photos and videos had were truly staggering.

joe-rogan-steven-seagall-russia-ukraine.
CONSEQUENCE.NET

Rogan shared and then deleted a fake article that showed actor Steven Seagal fighting with Russian Special Forces against Ukraine.

5 minutes ago, brucoe said:

I talked to my girlfriend about this last night. How interconnected we are these days and how increasingly helpless it makes us feel vs. back in the day you'd read a disconnected article in the paper or two, see something blurry and 'distant' on TV and that was it. Now you see things like selfies of teens with their Pokemon toys in a bunker "live" from Ukraine and can literally interact with them personally, you feel so connected and extra helpless. I mentioned to her that I think it's good in the way that it makes people way more actively anti-war than I've ever experienced even when still living in Europe with conflicts driving distances anyway. 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Comet said:

Ditto with you guys. I have barely been able to focus on work and when I had my 1:1 with my boss she admitted she’s struggling too so at least I’m not worried from a work performance perspective. Oh well… at least my Steam Deck arrives tomorrow so there’s that (yay escapism).

Wow congrats on getting first shipment. 

I am with everyone here about being depressed about the current events as we hurdle into a future of fires, droughts, and famine. 

1 hour ago, SuperSpreader said:

I hear that.  I've been trying to eat less lately, but it's almost like what's the point?  The Dems are going to get crushed in 2022 and 2024, and we'll be right back to 2016 with Trump as president with the GOP in full control of everything and could possibly use then to drop all pretenses and go full fascist theocracy mode.  It makes the option of Putin launching nukes almost seem like a welcome alternative.