Epic Games appears to be laying the groundwork for an IPO

Commissar SFLUFAN

5 hours ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Steam trading card market :p

I'm still surprised Valve makes any real money on this at all.  I've earned almost as much from the marketplace as I've spent on games on their storefront.  It's been 8 years, with a 1000+ Steam library, and Valve is only $120 up on me.  That dollar amount has actually shrunk since Epic started their giveaways, since I almost always second guess purchases on Steam now.  (even with fake bucks)  Other legit storefronts selling cheaper Steam keys also factor into it.

It's my #frugalgoal to one day put them in the negative with my account.  Then I'll be the anti-whale.

10 hours ago, crispy4000 said:

I'm still surprised Valve makes any real money on this at all.  I've earned almost as much from the marketplace as I've spent on games on their storefront.  It's been 8 years, with a 1000+ Steam library, and Valve is only $120 up on me.  That dollar amount has actually shrunk since Epic started their giveaways, since I almost always second guess purchases on Steam now.  (even with fake bucks)  Other legit storefronts selling cheaper Steam keys also factor into it.

It's my #frugalgoal to one day put them in the negative with my account.  Then I'll be the anti-whale.

Oh I think a lot of TF2 traders have already put them into the negative, at least years ago when it was easier to farm weapon drops and they were worth more before the big crash when they allowed the buying/selling of crate keys.  Farm weapons->craft metal->trade metal for keys->sell keys on market.  Or alternatively, trade for unusual hats, then trade for keys.  Some of those hats were worth hundreds of dollars.

32 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Oh I think a lot of TF2 traders have already put them into the negative, at least years ago when it was easier to farm weapon drops and they were worth more before the big crash when they allowed the buying/selling of crate keys.  Farm weapons->craft metal->trade metal for keys->sell keys on market.  Or alternatively, trade for unusual hats, then trade for keys.  Some of those hats were worth hundreds of dollars.

No one has asked me for Bill's Hat in a long while.

46 minutes ago, cusideabelincoln said:

Pretty sure any money you make from the marketplace is money other people have put in, and you can't ever take it out, and Valve gets a cut of every marketplace transaction on top of that. Don't think anyone's putting them in the negative on that front!

And I absolutely cannot wait to see what kind of quality products and services we'll see out of Epic once they're slaves to shareholders and quarterly deadlines!

13 minutes ago, Xbob42 said:

Pretty sure any money you make from the marketplace is money other people have put in, and you can't ever take it out, and Valve gets a cut of every marketplace transaction on top of that. Don't think anyone's putting them in the negative on that front!

Not with trading cards from games sold outside of Valve’s storefront.

1 minute ago, crispy4000 said:

Not with trading cards from games sold outside of Valve’s storefront.

The trading cards don't spontaneously generate money, though. Someone had to fill up their Steam wallet, so you're draining someone else's wallet, not Valve's. I mean, I guess you could count money sitting in Steam wallets as money Valve hopes no one ever actually spends...