With all the stonk stuff, are you legitimately worried a crash is incoming?

There's a somewhat famous story that I doubt is entirely true. The story is that, one day in 1929, Joe Kennedy went to get his shoes shined. The shoe shine boy started giving him stock investment tips. Joe Kennedy promptly sold every investment he had, making a fortune, later saying "if shoe shine boys are giving stock tips, it's time to get out of the market."

Like, on the one hand, I kind of want the market to burn anyway, so it's whatever. But on the other hand, that quote has been lodged in my head over the last couple weeks.

Just now, CitizenVectron said:

Man I hope not, I have my retirement savings in the market! (index funds) On the other hand, ups and downs are to be expected.

The stock market taking a dive is bad if you're living off your retirement funds but is good if you're still far from retirement since it means your retirement contributions are getting in low.

Not from this. I think markets are a bit frothy here, but I'm not too worried about a crash. I wouldn't be surprised if we had a correction in the near future and then gradually bounce back to new highs later. If the vaccine roll out picks up steam, I'm bullish over the next 5 years even if things are ahead of themselves at the moment.

4 hours ago, Jason said:

The stock market taking a dive is bad if you're living off your retirement funds but is good if you're still far from retirement since it means your retirement contributions are getting in low.

Yeah, exactly. I'm 25-30 years away from retirement (hopefully 20, lol) so I'm not worried. I have regular contributions going into my RRSP (same as 401k) which is matched by my employer, plus bi-weekly TFSA contributions (same as Roth IRA). So while I lose money on the dips overall, I'm still buying at the same time. Also, the last two years have seen incredible growth, so even going down 10-15% suddenly would still equal out with long-term annual growth numbers.