What Are You Reading or Listening To?

On 1/4/2020 at 7:05 PM, Chris- said:

I'm reading 'The First World War' by John Keegan. It is quite good.

Fucking Serbs!

Well, the first 40 pages or so were quite good. The rest of it was a looooooooooooooong struggle. I mean, he did as well as he could, but describing formations and troop movements for hundreds of pages is quite dry.

Now on to 'See You in Paradise' by J. Robert Lennon, which is exactly the type of light silly literature I needed. Already 50+ pages in.

Starting Giver of Stars by Jojo Moyes. It’s not my typical read, I guess, but sometimes it’s good to step out of your comfort zone and try something new. I’ve heard good things and the setting interests me. Got it as a BOTM add-on. So far, I e not been disappointed in BOTM. 

Also think I’m gonna start Say Nothing by Patrick Keefe for my nonfiction. I know so little about the Irish conflicts. This should be good. 

Washington Black is now finished (well, as of yesterday evening) and my next choice is The Overstory by Richard Powers. To steal the Wikipedia synopsis: 

The Overstory is a novel by Richard Powers published in 2018 by W.W. Norton. It is Powers's twelfth novel. The novel is about nine Americans whose unique life experiences with trees bring them together to address the destruction of forests.

I've read the opening pages and it seems good to me. 

2 hours ago, EternallDarkness said:

probably will start King's new book tonight. If it Bleeds

I'll be curious to know what you think. I'm a pretty big fan of King's writing and am always up for a new story from him. :)

I'm starting East of Eden again. I was reading it a couple years ago and then accidentally left my copy in the US when I went back to Germany. But I'm back in the US(SR) now! :dancing:

I've been having a look at the Kindle Prime Reading books, which has been a mixed bag, but I'm reading a book about Pablo Escobar (after it being referenced in Breaking bad) and a book called The Cows, which so far has been some light comedy. I just finished Philosopher's Stone the other day and will read the Chamber of Secrets soon. 

13 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I just got it yesterday. It’s my first SK short story collection. 

What’s your preferred SK collection?

honestly it's hard to say. Many of the books I read long ago so it might just be nostalgia playing tricks with how much I enjoyed them but Night Shift and Skeleton Crew books are the first to jump to mind, and of course Different Seasons (source for Shawshank and Stand by Me) 

• Thanks 1

Finished Lords of the North, still a great time, despite having watched the show. Speaking of Mr. Cornwell, have any of you read his other books?  @EternallDarkness, @Mercury33, @Emblazon, and any other Last Kingdom fans I'm forgetting. I'm interested in his Warlord Chronicles series.

Now starting The Templars by Dan Jones. I'm in a medieval mood and want some nonfiction.

2 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Finished Lords of the North, still a great time, despite having watched the show. Speaking of Mr. Cornwell, have any of you read his other books?  @EternallDarkness, @Mercury33, @Emblazon, and any other Last Kingdom fans I'm forgetting. I'm interested in his Warlord Chronicles series.

Now starting The Templars by Dan Jones. I'm in a medieval mood and want some nonfiction.

I read the Warlord Chronicles last year. It was phenomenal!!  I would def recommend them. It’s so clever how he managed to take Arthurian characters and weave that into a historical setting while still keeping the essence of how those characters were in the Myths. Even the way he handles Merlin and his magic is perfect. I blew through them, couldn’t put them down and I hope and hope they adapt it to a tv series one day. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

I read the Warlord Chronicles last year. It was phenomenal!!  I would def recommend them. It’s so clever how he managed to take Arthurian characters and weave that into a historical setting while still keeping the essence of how those characters were in the Myths. Even the way he handles Merlin and his magic is perfect. I blew through them, couldn’t put them down and I hope and hope they adapt it to a tv series one day. 

Agreed. It's a fantastic series and would make a great show.

I also enjoyed the Sharpe series a lot when I was younger. There is an extremely low-budget BBC show too, with Sean Bean.

1 hour ago, Mercury33 said:

Excellent, I’ll definitely be picking these up in the future.