10 CloverField Lane Director to Direct The Next Installment Of...

15 minutes ago, Brick said:

They're still going with this franchise? 

Following the Jurassic Park franchise: bigger and dumber, with DNA mutation, probably.

I don't see how you can really break new ground with this franchise. Sure, you could make an okay movie if you follow the first one (or second), but is that enough?

2 minutes ago, CitizenVectron said:

Following the Jurassic Park franchise: bigger and dumber, with DNA mutation, probably.

I don't see how you can really break new ground with this franchise. Sure, you could make an okay movie if you follow the first one (or second), but is that enough?

they did that with the last movie. It was a dumb but somewhat enjoyable film to watch

Predator sequels dont work because Predator is the apex of the films, there isnt anywhere to go but down.

Alien - Alien against small crew, lone survivor

Aliens- Ups the ante with a whole crew of badass marines that still get slaughtered with a shit ton of Aliens

Terminator-Robot from the future sent back in time to kill vs human soldier sent back in time 

T2- Liquid Robot from the future sent back in time to kill vs another bad ass Robot from the future

Predator- Skips all the bull shit and just pits a bad ass Predator vs a bunch of bass mercs right from the get go.

On a side note when I was 9 I wanted be a character from Aliens for Halloween, now this was 1986. My parents have always been forward thinking but a 9 yr old pudgey boy who wanted to be 

Some Of The Coolest Movie Showdowns In History (23 PICS + 8 GIFS) -  Izismile.com

Hey Vasquez, you ever been mistaken for a man"? - Album on Imgur

It didnt happen :(

50 minutes ago, skillzdadirecta said:

Predator sequels don't work for the same Reason Aliens and Terminators sequels don't work... they keep remaking the first film over and over again instead od moving the story forward. All of these concepts have potential to move beyind what the films do. Studios just have no imagination.

But what if... the predator fought the alien?

:hmm:

But more seriously (This is a serious post that would make @Greatoneshere proud)

I don't think the Alien, Terminator, Predator sequels don't work because they don't progress the story, I think they progressed the story too quickly and then the writing has just never been as good.

There are plenty of pieces of media that retread the same material to great success. Some examples (and probably not great because it's off the top of my head)

Friday the 13th - These movies are largely the same. Same guy different place. But the main draw is that you want to see Jason just kill more people. Then the movies got stale and that's when writers were like "I dunno just put him in space!" but it took 10 movies to get to that point

Power Rangers - A beloved show but largely follows the same formula. Some background story stuff but largely it is Fight puttys > get in zord > form megazord and fight big monster. But in the end people just want to see that last fight.

24 - A show of varying quality but you can't deny the greatness of season 1 and 4. If anything this one got killed by lack of progression and retreading the same path a bit too much. I mean, how many times can you have a mole at CTU? The show had a perfect jumping off point for Keifer when Curtis (black jack) was on the show but instead of tossing the reigns to him they just killed Curtis off WTF?

But what happened with Terminator? The leap from 1 to 2 was too large, and Terminator 2 was too good. It would be similar to saying, "We need to make a sequel to Shawshank Redemption," and seeing how you can up the ante. Well Terminator 2 was so balanced, action, suspense, EMOTION, something that never came in the sequels. I think there is a reason that The Sarah Conner Chronicles is the 3rd best piece of Terminator media and that's because it went with familiar material but written well enough to further the lore without taking huge steps.

Personally I thought T3 was fine. Salvation was a huge misstep. It tried to make huge progress in the story but the story just wasn't interesting. Also, the most interesting part was the human terminator and that wasn't the focal part of the movie. Also McG sucks. The biggest problem now is they keep going back to T2 and trying to make T2 with not as good ideas. Just write a good movie, simple.

The Predator movies also took too many leaps as well. It went from Jungle > City > Predator Planet - But they could have gone a different route and kept it on a different place on earth or something. At least for a couple more movies.

In any case that's what I think is mostly wrong with the movies. The writing and trying to make a movie as good as movies with a storied legacy. Simply write a good story and the success will come.

Aliens and Terminator 2 are some of the greatest sequels ever made. Even T3 wasn’t as bad as people made it out to be, it just couldn’t compare to T2. It’s what came after for both of those franchises that’s hot garbage: they drug sequels out of it that truly didn’t need to exist.

I’ll even argue that Predator 2 isn’t bad - it’s a stupid-fun action movie and not nearly as good or memorable as the first, but I never thought it was awful like “Predators”, A vs P, or that semi-reboot from a few years ago.

10 hours ago, Brick said:

I would have thought after Fox fucked over Shane Black's movie they would have let it rest for a few more years at least! 

Predators was solid though. 

I also liked Predators. It was dumb fun. At this point as much as I like the concept of Predator, I don't feel like the character of the Predator is very interesting. There's only a few ingredients that make up the predator. Big bad alien with camo, a spear, shoulder mounted laser, and clickity clack noises. Been there done that. 

2 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Aliens and Terminator 2 are some of the greatest sequels ever made. Even T3 wasn’t as bad as people made it out to be, it just couldn’t compare to T2. It’s what came after for both of those franchises that’s hot garbage: they drug sequels out of it that truly didn’t need to exist.

I’ll even argue that Predator 2 isn’t bad - it’s a stupid-fun action movie and not nearly as good or memorable as the first, but I never thought it was awful like “Predators”, A vs P, or that semi-reboot from a few years ago.

The thing with Predator 1 and 2 is both are pretty good movies, just one is different than the other. While Terminator 1 and 2 are different 2 is clearly on another level. Predator movies haven't reached that next level yet, it's still out there somewhere waiting to be made.

For Terminator they could do a reversal where a robot is sent back in time to complete various missions to set the course towards a certain future, and it's the humans that are chasing down it to kill it. Sure it could just stay and fight, and kill them, but time is sensitive and it has a mission to complete quickly.

I liked Dark Fate from last year though.