The Witcher - Season 3 wrapped filming two weeks ago, will release in Summer 2023

Watched the first two episodes. God I love the look of this show. First episode was def one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. Second episode had sooooo many cool little nods to the game. 

I hope Netflix lets this show run to its natural conclusion because I’m really curious if they actually adapt the 3rd game and how it ends the story or if they go their own direction. 

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Watched the first two episodes. God I love the look of this show. First episode was def one of my favorite episodes of the whole series. Second episode had sooooo many cool little nods to the game. 

I hope Netflix lets this show run to its natural conclusion because I’m really curious if they actually adapt the 3rd game and how it ends the story or if they go their own direction. 

There might be some rights issues adapting stories from the games. Iirc CDPR "owns" those stories, as there have been disputes between them and the author. Which I think is stupid, no one outside of Poland would have ever even heard of the Witcher it wasn't for the games, but whatever.

Kind of like how the rights to anything middle earth related were always really tricky until recently in terms of what you could or couldn't use and depending on what medium it was presented in.

At any rate, at the pace they're going, they'll probably blow through the books in like another 2 seasons. Maybe that's all they want to do? Who knows.

38 minutes ago, Fizzzzle said:

There might be some rights issues adapting stories from the games. Iirc CDPR "owns" those stories, as there have been disputes between them and the author. Which I think is stupid, no one outside of Poland would have ever even heard of the Witcher it wasn't for the games, but whatever.

Kind of like how the rights to anything middle earth related were always really tricky until recently in terms of what you could or couldn't use and depending on what medium it was presented in.

At any rate, at the pace they're going, they'll probably blow through the books in like another 2 seasons. Maybe that's all they want to do? Who knows.

i believe they do not want to adapt the games 

• Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, johnny said:

people on reddit seem pretty upset that they are doing things different from the book. 

not sure what they expected honestly. you can’t expect a 1:1 adaptation. i’ve read the books and don’t have a problem with the stuff. 

Some of the books plot points can get pretty.. eh, rapey and weird? Especially considering anything with Ciri. I have no problem with them deviating. So far, it seems like they're keeping the broad strokes, but how they get there in the end is pretty different. And that's okay.

I'm not going to pretend the book series is some masterpiece of fiction that should never be violated. They're not. They get downright fucking stupid at times. Blood of Elves is the best one imo, and they've pretty much done all of it already. Free reign, motherfuckers.

Also fans of books will always be upset that things are done differently. Guess what they can do? ... read the books.

6 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

They adapted Bloody Baron(sort of) in the first season didn’t they?

And yeah, this is one book series that who the hell cares if they deviate completely from. I mean Geralt already is more of an adaption of the video game version than the book version. As someone said this is not some iconic/influential work of literature like LotR, Dune, WoT etc…

And honestly look at all the recent book adaptions. His Dark Materials drastically changed the story for the better, Shadow and Bone drastically changed the story for the better, Wheel of Time is drastically changing the story and so far it’s for the better.  And honestly so far Witcher the show is better than the books. Once people accept that you’re pretty much never going to get 1:1 adaptions they’ll be so much happier.  Dune is the exception not the rule. And that took 3 tries to get right. 

10 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

I feel like I’m going to be too busy to watch this until after the holidays. 

Looking forward to it, though. 

Same. I believe a third season has already been approved but with Netflix stuff, it feels you need to watch as soon as it releases otherwise it gets canceled. Netflix has somehow made watching shows stressful!

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

They adapted Bloody Baron(sort of) in the first season didn’t they?

no, but that would be a fun one for them to squeeze in somewhere. they might have tried to make the striga with king foltest kinda feel like that quest but the striga is its own story in the books. 

All of the game adaptations deviate from the books in that witchers are supposed to be different looking to the point of repulsion to the general populace, but they kept making Geralt more fuckable and now he's being played by Henry Cavill so like... who cares, really? And like Fizzle said, the books are of the era / perspective when male fantasy authors decided to sprinkle pedophilia and rape into their books because "that's just how it was" to show that their books aren't for kids, but then there are elves and magical pendants and shit, so maybe they just wanted to write about rape, pedophilia, and incest? Who knows, I don't miss it when those things get adapted out.

The book readers need to hush. They need to be quiet about Wheel of Time too (I did read 10 of those and don’t see any issue with how they’re adapting the source material) 

This is so damn good. I have played all 3 games and couldn’t be more pleased. 

The show is perfectly paced. I can’t help but mention how this is pacing done right compared to Wheel of Time which I maintain is moving too quickly for the amount of characters they have. The music is great. The characters are well developed and I care for all of them. It’s just fun to watch this and so damn cool. The sets and CG have improved a lot since season 1. I got 3 more episodes left and couldn’t be more thrilled to be watching high fantasy this good! 

7 hours ago, Massdriver said:

The book readers need to hush. They need to be quiet about Wheel of Time too (I did read 10 of those and don’t see any issue with how they’re adapting the source material) 

This is so damn good. I have played all 3 games and couldn’t be more pleased. 

The show is perfectly paced. I can’t help but mention how this is pacing done right compared to Wheel of Time which I maintain is moving too quickly for the amount of characters they have. The music is great. The characters are well developed and I care for all of them. It’s just fun to watch this and so damn cool. The sets and CG have improved a lot since season 1. I got 3 more episodes left and couldn’t be more thrilled to be watching high fantasy this good! 

Agreed. I’ve read the books and honestly couldn’t care less. The show feels like more of an adaption of the world the games created than the books and honestly I think that’s for the better. I enjoy seeing stuff and characters from the books but I couldn’t care less if they even hit the proper beats. 

Wheel of Time I care more about but like you said I think they’re doing a spectacular job adapting that series. They are hitting every important major story beat, just changing how we get there for TV. And honestly as a book reader it’s fun getting to be surprised by new stuff in that world again. I also agree about its pacing. Moraine and Lan have been perfectly done but the kids feel rushed. Not massively. I think If they’d done 10 episodes and included two “traveling episodes” it would have done wonders for that show. Fantastic as it already is. 

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Agreed. I’ve read the books and honestly couldn’t care less. The show feels like more of an adaption of the world the games created than the books and honestly I think that’s for the better. I enjoy seeing stuff and characters from the books but I couldn’t care less if they even hit the proper beats. 

Wheel of Time I care more about but like you said I think they’re doing a spectacular job adapting that series. They are hitting every important major story beat, just changing how we get there for TV. And honestly as a book reader it’s fun getting to be surprised by new stuff in that world again. I also agree about its pacing. Moraine and Lan have been perfectly done but the kids feel rushed. Not massively. I think If they’d done 10 episodes and included two “traveling episodes” it would have done wonders for that show. Fantastic as it already is. 

WoT has more main characters so they need more episodes compared to the Witcher. My praise in that comment was directed at The Witcher season 2, but I’m still enjoying WoT. I hope they improve  WoT pacing in season 2. Agreed that 2 more episodes would do it. 

35 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

WoT has more main characters so they need more episodes compared to the Witcher. My praise in that comment was directed at The Witcher season 2, but I’m still enjoying WoT. I hope they improve  WoT pacing in season 2. Agreed that 2 more episodes would do it. 

Oh yeah I was agreeing about the Witcher 2. But I’m also someone that had zero issues with pacing and time jumps of season 1. I think the show is pretty much perfect. 

I haven't read the books and have only seen the first episode of season 2, which I liked quite a bit, but I feel like the universal thread between the games, the show, and presumably the books is not the unified canonical plot, but the essential charm and likeability of the universe and characters. Season 1 of the show was often ridiculous and not great, but it also won me over by just being charming and fun. 

Just finish the 4th episode and it was an ok song, but much like @Mercury33said “We better get another good one later” Do we get a better song? Don’t get me wrong, this was ok. Just how the hell do you top a song like Toss a Coin to your Witcher. I did appreciate that the next episode button showed up a little later so we could enjoy the song a little bit during the credits and gave me enough time to find my Xbox controller to keep the credits rolling with the song

Just finished it. Great ending that sets things up beautifully going forward. Only negative I have to say is that any scene without either Yen, Geralt or Ciri was def a drop. And Jasper I thought was too modern if that makes sense? Like I get they use modern profanity which is fine but I felt like most of Jaspers jokes didn’t have any kind of medieval twinge to them. That’s probably just a me thing though haha. 

So Blood Origins is about the time right after the conjunction?

6 hours ago, silentbob said:

Ahem 

Hide contents

RRROOOAAAACCCCHHHHHH!!!!!! 😥

LOL

Spoiler

My wife was so upset and said “no more Roach?” I told no, he’ll just name his next horse Roach as well. It took her a second for that to fully settle in and she got even pregnant upset 😂 the fact that Geralt is like 200 years old or whatever and what that means in regards to his horse never dawned on her 😂

• Haha 1