The Witcher - Season 3 wrapped filming two weeks ago, will release in Summer 2023

16 minutes ago, GeneticBlueprint said:

I'm two eps in and I hate how even though they are constantly in snowy conditions you can't see anybody's breath.

That never occurred to me.

By the way I've watched season 2 twice now. The second time I started just skipping all of the Aratusa scheming.

This season is unquestionably a SIGNIFICANT improvement in just about every aspect over the first.

The only "major" facet of the first season that I feel is somewhat lacking in this one is some of Geralt's "levity" (such as it is), but I completely grasp that it's necessary for Geralt to convey the weight of the responsibility that his "fatherhood" of Ciri requires.

Any other faults that I might have found are minor quibbles that simply aren't even worth mentioning.  All-in-all, bravo to everyone involved with this season! :clap:

3 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

I mean the song is really the only major fault of the second season. And maybe they curse a little too much? Geralts “Fucks” were so good in S1 because they came outta nowhere. But that’s a super super minor thing cause it really wasn’t that bad. 

I liked the "fucks" from yennefer more this season

Yeah, they kind of just gloss over it because it doesn't *really* matter at this point in the story. It can be kind of annoying for someone like me who, like, wants to know where everyone is geographically in relationship to one another, but for narrative purposes it doesn't matter.

(one of the more brilliant things Game of Thrones did was the intro that showed where in the world the episode was taking place)

It's like... they kind of explain what Nilfgaard is and that they are bad, and that they're fighting the "North," but beyond that they don't really say much.

Yeah it’s completely glossed over. At the end of the finale my wife went to me “I’m so confused, how many councils are there and what do they all do?”

This show could really use the X Ray stuff they did for WoT. The interactive map and additional history animated shorts do an AMAZING job of helping to flesh out that world for non book readers. 

2 hours ago, Mercury33 said:

Yeah it’s completely glossed over. At the end of the finale my wife went to me “I’m so confused, how many councils are there and what do they all do?”

This show could really use the X Ray stuff they did for WoT. The interactive map and additional history animated shorts do an AMAZING job of helping to flesh out that world for non book readers. 

I think that's a big part of why the pacing grinds to a halt every time they shift away from Geralt/Yennefer/Ciri. Like I get that it's information that will probably become important later, but the scheming scenes just suck all the life out of the show whenever they happen because we don't really know or care about who these people are and what they want.

On 12/27/2021 at 7:58 AM, elbobo said:

Am I an idiot or does this show do a piss poor job of explaining the politic powers/leaders in this world and how they all relate to each other?

As other people said, it's glossed over. There's SOME tracking between costuming for the factions (Vizimir / Dijkstra both wear red, the Nilfgardians wear black and gold for the most part, etc.) but I don't think the show calls this out, you have to be looking for it.

20 hours ago, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah, they kind of just gloss over it because it doesn't *really* matter at this point in the story. It can be kind of annoying for someone like me who, like, wants to know where everyone is geographically in relationship to one another, but for narrative purposes it doesn't matter.

(one of the more brilliant things Game of Thrones did was the intro that showed where in the world the episode was taking place)

It's like... they kind of explain what Nilfgaard is and that they are bad, and that they're fighting the "North," but beyond that they don't really say much.

It gets really messy with portals, too. 

This show makes me want to just get into the books. I've played the games and still have like, no idea what's going on other than pretty basic story beats that I remember being mentioned in the games.

I am enjoying the show because like the first season it is likeable despite its flaws. I'm also glad that unlike the games and the first season Geralt and Yen finally have some chemistry.

Spoiler

"Nice scar, shithead." -Yen, to fire guy

"Firefucker?" -Geralt

So much of the dialogue is intentionally hilarious in a very "surprise motherfucker" way.

11 minutes ago, Moa said:

This show makes me want to just get into the books. I've played the games and still have like, no idea what's going on other than pretty basic story beats that I remember being mentioned in the games.

I am enjoying the show because like the first season it is likeable despite its flaws. I'm also glad that unlike the games and the first season Geralt and Yen finally have some chemistry.

Spoiler
  Hide contents

"Nice scar, shithead." -Yen, to fire guy

"Firefucker?" -Geralt

So much of the dialogue is intentionally hilarious in a very "surprise motherfucker" way.

Yeah, I think the second season benefits a lot from not hopping around timelines a lot. The character development feels a lot more natural.

However, I'll be the first to say that the books.. aren't that good? At least in my opinion. So far I prefer the games and the show.

That's why every time I read about the author getting all controlling about shit I'm like "dude, if it wasn't for the games, no one outside of fantasy nerds in Poland would ever have even heard of your books."

The games all take place after the books.

3 hours ago, Greatoneshere said:

There are still five short stories between the first two books that have been left unadapted - I wonder if they'll be treated as one-off monster of the week episodes in upcoming seasons.

I forget where I said it, but if they just made a Witcher series that is basically a medieval fantasy version of the first few seasons of Supernatural, I would be fine with that. The first episode of season 2 was by far my favorite because that's kind of what it felt like.

3 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Finished. That was enjoyable. I just hope Netflix does it Justice and finishes the story instead of prematurely

canceling it. 

I've seen nothing that indicates they will cancel it. It's one of their most popular shows despite the first season being not that great. I know the recent cowboy bebop shit has people think they just cancel things all the time, but they really don't, all things considered. They kept black mirror going for like 8 years.

I do think there's an inherent disadvantage to the "release it all and see what happens" method of show creation. Like it's basically a gig economy. I think that's why Netflix shows can vary so wildly from season to season. A lot of the people who worked on the first season aren't there for the second because they can't wait to see if the show will get picked up for another season before they move into other work.

I really enjoyed the slapstick nature of a lot of the fights. Jaskier interrupting the basilisk fight and the dwarf gangbang had me laughing out loud. The tone of Witcher stuff is just so fun, it feels like at every point the characters are just completely exasperated by their own main character syndrome. 

On 1/4/2022 at 3:22 PM, Fizzzzle said:

Yeah, I think the second season benefits a lot from not hopping around timelines a lot.

I've already forgotten which episode it was in but there was a scene, I think in the Kaer Morhen lab, where's there's a line of dialog explicitly winking-and-nodding at people finding the first season confusing before the multiple timelines reveal.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Update: The Witcher - Season 3 location scouting has begun
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to The Witcher - Season 3 wrapped filming two weeks ago, will release in Summer 2023