Joe Biden beats Donald Trump, officially making Trump a one-term twice impeached, twice popular-vote losing president

2 hours ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Can't wait to hear about how we just need "better" isp choices

I like Bernie's goals here, and while he's clear about what regulations he'd put in place his plan is a lot of "I will fix it by fixing it" talk without much in the way of specifics. Breaking up cable monopolies is fine, but unlike most other monopolies that doesn't actually fix the problem. If you break up Facebook, suddenly there are multiple competing social networks. If you break up Charter or Comcast or whatever most people still only have access to one broadband option. A federal law to override state laws preventing municipal broadband is good, but that by itself just opens the door for competition without actually providing any. I don't think there is anything in that plan that would incentivize actual competition in broadband. It would be great if ISPs had to play by better rules, but I think you're only going to get so much out of forcing them to be better.

57 minutes ago, TwinIon said:

I like Bernie's goals here, and while he's clear about what regulations he'd put in place his plan is a lot of "I will fix it by fixing it" talk without much in the way of specifics. Breaking up cable monopolies is fine, but unlike most other monopolies that doesn't actually fix the problem. If you break up Facebook, suddenly there are multiple competing social networks. If you break up Charter or Comcast or whatever most people still only have access to one broadband option. A federal law to override state laws preventing municipal broadband is good, but that by itself just opens the door for competition without actually providing any. I don't think there is anything in that plan that would incentivize actual competition in broadband. It would be great if ISPs had to play by better rules, but I think you're only going to get so much out of forcing them to be better.

You could go the electricity market in Texas route and separate service ownership from line ownership, and force open access to the lines so whoever wants to set up a retail ISP could.

2 minutes ago, b_m_b_m_b_m said:

Or we can stop playing these bullshit games and tax the fucking wealthy

We should base our tax policy on adequately funding government operations.  If that means we raise the tax on the rich - great.  I support that.  We shouldn't be basing our tax policy fucking over a subset of the population.  

Just now, mclumber1 said:

We should base our tax policy on adequately funding government operations.  If that means we raise the tax on the rich - great.  I support that.  We shouldn't be basing our tax policy fucking over a subset of the population.  

Raising taxes on the wealthy can easily be interpreted as fucking over a subset of the population.

1 minute ago, mclumber1 said:

But they fuck us over! I am in distress and losing sleep everyday thinking about the private jets and yachts being used by the billionaire class. It's just not right. It's morally bankrupt. It pisses me off so much that I just can't function anymore. GRRRRR 

And how dare the middle class in this country enjoy all their luxuries while so many around the world are in absolute poverty! Damn them too!! It's just not right! There's just so much anger to go around. But wait, those other people are in other countries. Nevermind, I'm just angry at the billionaires.

• Guillotine 1

1 minute ago, Massdriver said:

But they fuck us over! I am in distress and losing sleep everyday thinking about the private jets and yachts being used by the billionaire class. It's just not right. It's morally bankrupt. It pisses me off so much that I just can't function anymore. GRRRRR 

And how dare the middle class in this country enjoy all their luxuries while so many around the world are in absolute poverty! Damn them too!! It's just not right! There's just so much anger to go around. But wait, those other people are in other countries. Nevermind, I'm just angry at the billionaires.

Wat

2 minutes ago, Massdriver said:

• Haha 1

Until the "normal" capitalists understand why people are pissed, populism isn't going away. Years of being told how things just are and why something greedy is OK and why wealth hoarding is freedom has driven me away from the American center-left lane and right into eat the rich.

Populism swings both ways and backfires on both sides.  Populism got Trump elected in 2016.  Now there is a backlash against those populist policies.  The same thing will happen in 2020 once the Democratic candidate wins the election and tries to implement their populist policies. 

2 minutes ago, mclumber1 said:

Populism swings both ways and backfires on both sides.  Populism got Trump elected in 2016.  Now there is a backlash against those populist policies.  The same thing will happen in 2020 once the Democratic candidate wins the election and tries to implement their populist policies. 

Republicans have half of the nation's governors' mansions and the Senate and the Supreme Court. There's backlash to Trump, not populism.

The backlash was to your status quo. It's also why milquetoast candidates like Biden aren't handily beating Sanders or Warren and why Yang has made every debate despite being a no-name; the status quo sucks, and everyone knows it.

40 minutes ago, SaysWho? said:

Until the "normal" capitalists understand why people are pissed, populism isn't going away. Years of being told how things just are and why something greedy is OK and why wealth hoarding is freedom has driven me away from the American center-left lane and right into eat the rich.

Why can't you just be happy with your $8000 average family healthcare deductible, on top of your $10,000 average in family health insurance premiums, and God knows out of pocket maximums when you likely can't afford a $500 emergency

48 minutes ago, Jose said:

Trump hasn't really enacted populist policies. Other than the bizarre trade war stuff, he has been a completely conventional Republican.

It's also about rhetoric and proposals: The media, the deep state, immigrants/the wall, NATO, middle east policy, authoritarianism, cult of personality, lies as truth, America first, tribalism.

2 hours ago, mclumber1 said:

Uh bro our tax policy has been designed to fuck over the poor and middle class for almost 40 years now. Taxing the rich is about parity, not tribalism. We need to tax the rich more because we used to, by necessity, and then stopped. I assume then by what I quoted here that since it's facially necessary that you'll be supporting the policy.

I can't believe that someone can live in a country where cops think its okay to open fire in the streets, where "right to work" means you have no job security, that healthcare isn't considered a human right, and think the issue distills down to 4k TV's and surround sound systems. 

what the fuck kind of neoliberal bullshit