Antivaxxers are now going after the rabies vaccine, claiming it causes autism in dogs.

So these fucking idiots don’t know what DOGS are and what they do?!? Oh boy, Stephen King can soon have Cujo moved to a new section on the bookshelves. Is this how The Walking Dead starts because we become so anti-vex we just let the apocalypse happen? Instead of getting a shot in the arm for a cure, it’s a shot to the head. Which almost seems like the cure for some idiots right now

• True 2

I wonder if there is any connection to these dogs behavior and the popularity of rescue animals.  My mom has rescued 4 dogs over the years and each one has had some sort of odd behavior. Before that they always paid good money for a puppy and the dogs grew up to be pretty great. I also encounter a lot of dogs in my travels with work. Im not surprised when I encounter a customers dog, that I think is odd or untrustworthy, and then i hear it’s a rescue. 

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

I wonder if there is any connection to these dogs behavior and the popularity of rescue animals.  My mom has rescued 4 dogs over the years and each one has had some sort of odd behavior. Before that they always paid good money for a puppy and the dogs grew up to be pretty great. I also encounter a lot of dogs in my travels with work. Im not surprised when I encounter a customers dog, that I think is odd or untrustworthy, and then i hear it’s a rescue. 

I think being dumped by the owner that raised them screws them up.  I had a rescue shepherd.  He was great, but definitely had some problems, if I yelled at him he'd drop and cower and I'd feel bad, I never once hit him.  He also loved cats, but hated small dogs with an otherwise uncharacteristic fury.  But he was a loyal sweet dog until the very end, as long as he didn't catch a small dog in his sightline.

34 minutes ago, DarkStar189 said:

This is such a complicated statement. There's also "pretty great" puppies who never learn proper dog etiquette, and neither do the owners. They let their dogs run up and jump on unknown dogs, which the dogs then go wtf and get angry, the "pretty great dog" owners then deem that dog to be "aggressive" bc they never taught their dog manners or discipline and they don't have any either. 

What does "pretty great" even mean? Entertaining for a human? 

11 hours ago, SuperSpreader said:

This is such a complicated statement. There's also "pretty great" puppies who never learn proper dog etiquette, and neither do the owners. They let their dogs run up and jump on unknown dogs, which the dogs then go wtf and get angry, the "pretty great dog" owners then deem that dog to be "aggressive" bc they never taught their dog manners or discipline and they don't have any either. 

What does "pretty great" even mean? Entertaining for a human? 

I was trying to speculate what would make someone believe that a rabies vaccine would cause autism/autism symptoms in dogs. So I leaned more toward the idea that adopting pets have become so popular the last couple years, especially during Covid, that now all these new dumb pet owners think their dog got messed up from a vaccine. When it was really just the psychological damage already done to the dog. 
My pretty great comment was just my experience growing up, always having dogs in the house. We would get them as puppies and they were just the best dogs. They listened on command, didn’t destroy things in the house, 2 of the dogs didn’t even need a leash on a walk because they were so chill. My dad could just snap his finger and they would come.

Now the last 15 years or so they have strictly adopted dogs. I could go into every detail but it’s too much. My parents have both said the 2 rescues they have now will be the last.  They have too many behaviors that developed at a young age that just don’t seem fixable long term. They never feel they can put 100% trust into the dogs not to bite somebody. Too many little quirks.

13 hours ago, DarkStar189 said:

This is purely confusion between correlation and causation, fueled by sampling size errors.

While rescue pets can be predisposed to certain idiosyncracies as a result of their upbringing (abuse, neglect, failure to get regualr veterinary care/checkups, etc.), those purchased from breeders can just as easily be prone to certain types of aberrant conditions.

In the overwhelming majority of instances, poor behavior is a reflection of the owners, as there are countless stories of animals who've been rescured from absoutely abhorrent conditions to become happy, well-adjusted members of the family.  Is that possible for 100% of rescues?  Of course not - some rescues have sufficient past trauma that they cannot be rehomed to any random person, but that is something that the shelter/rescur organization fostering the animal should be aware of and sensitive to when vetting out potential adopters.

Unfortunately, rescue organizations and shelters all over the country are currently in a state of crisis, as thousands of animals adopted during COVID have been returned (or simply turned loose on the street) by worthless pieces of shit with no sense of responsibility - as someone who works actively with my wife for two rescue organizations, typically fostering anywhere from 3-6 cats at a time, I'll admit to some bias on this point.  As a result, some shelters and organizations have loosened some standards when it comes to potential adopters, simply because they don't have the capacity to continue fostering an overabundance of rescued/recovered animals.

From 2004 through now, I've had (or have) ten cats and two dogs, all rescues: two cats rescued from a shelter, four cats rescued from the street and ultimately adopted (aka Foster Failures to those of us who work in the TNR/rescue sector), two (dogs) adopted from another rescue organization, and four cats adopted from another rescue organization.  All have been/are cherished members of the family, despite several having some definite idiosyncracies.

As for the original topic - I would have zero qualms sterilizing anyone who believes or advocates for anti-vax bullshit.  Addition by subtraction in terms of contributions to the collective gene pool.

I got my beagle when he was 6 months old. The previous owners didn’t have time to take care of him, so my parents adopted him for my sisters as a birthday gift. Turned out, they decided they didn’t want the responsibility so my dad and I ended doing a “joint custody” type deal with him because he was retired and I wasn’t, so he had him when I was working.

Long story short, the beagle knew where his bread was buttered, so he would go to my old man and beg him for food and my old man would give it to him, but I could leave an entire plate sitting of my food in front of the dog and he wouldn’t even sniff it because he knew it was mine.

He was also a great wingman, any woman I brought home that he didn’t deliberately hog the attention from was a red flag to me.

What does this have to do with the topic at hand? Nothing, I just wanted to talk about my dog.

• Halal 4