Final Fantasy XVI – Information Thread, update: PC version in "final stages of optimization', pre-release demo planned

Pikachu

Yeah, I like Dark Souls, but I don't want FF the have shitty non-plots and lore shit. No fuckin' thanks. Now, I would like it if FF16 leaned more into the Dark Souls style of combat, but I fuckin want my movie game, and not the lame-ass shit Sony serves to normies. If you want FF without the plot, play Stranger of Paradise. It has you covered.

• True 1

Pretty sure there’s room in the world for both From style story telling and FF style story telling. I love Souls games and discovering the lore as you go. But I also absolutely love the fuck out of huge over the top story telling with plot twists and emotions and all kinds of insane shit. 

And this demo does give you both. You get a little glimpse into the crazy story telling but then when you’re done it unlocks a mode where it throws you later into the game with a lot more abilities unlocked so you can try out more advanced gameplay. 

Hence, one of the best demos of all time 👍🏻

• Hugs 1

I don't know if I've just gotten more impatient & ADHD as I've gotten older but I loved every MGS game when I was younger but now I vastly prefer the Dark Souls style storytelling. Cutscenes are fine but if they're more than 5 minutes long or they're very frequent they had better tell one hell of a story or they lose me.

• Halal 1

On 6/13/2023 at 2:46 PM, Biggie said:

Flattery will get you nowhere

On 6/13/2023 at 2:47 PM, thedarkstark said:

You can block people? How?

On 6/13/2023 at 2:49 PM, best3444 said:

Blocking people is beyond lame. 

On 6/13/2023 at 2:54 PM, Biggie said:

nice hypothesis but I'm just a douche bag to people who are in turn douche bags to me. I like to keep it simple.

On 6/13/2023 at 3:05 PM, Mercury33 said:

I’ve had him on mute since he flip flopped and decided he liked Red Dead Redemption 2. Smh gone too soon. 

Gettin’ kinda testy around here, heh. Reminds me of the last days of peak IGN boards. 

I kinda like it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

47 minutes ago, Biggie said:

FromSoftware is the worst. They don’t explain shit. Make boss fights cheap and unbalanced. But I guess some gamers think this is the cool factor. I think it’s just lazy game design and shit mechanics. 

The fact they don't explain anything makes it so refreshing. And if you approach boss fights like most games where they give you an obvious weakness to attack then yeah, you're gonna get your ass handed to you. Over. And over. Those games are for gamers that are tired of having their hands held, want to experiment and not be force fed a story. It's why they are so successful IMO

• Halal 1

4 minutes ago, eventide11 said:

The fact they don't explain anything makes it so refreshing. And if you approach boss fights like most games where they give you an obvious weakness to attack then yeah, you're gonna get your ass handed to you. Over. And over. Those games are for gamers that are tired of having their hands held, want to experiment and not be force fed a story. It's why they are so successful IMO

Fair enough. I hate them though lol

Ok guys. I have failed you all. I was under the influence of 80mg of delta 9 last evening. I then mistakenly fired up FF16. Lol...I was litteraly IN the cutscenes. And yes, there were too many cutscenes. I had to start to skip them just to see how the gameplay was. I was high as fuck because I haven't used delta 9 in like 3 months.

I barely remember playing like it was a dream. The one thing that immediately stood out was the fuckin amazing soundtrack. That was far and beyond what impressed me the most.

The visuals are beautiful but I am not sure this is the best on PS5. It's close and I preferred performance mode even though it does take away from the visual fidelity. It ran phenomenally well for me and I thought the combat was much better than I was imagining. The effects were spectacular and if I were sober I would have enjoyed the cutscenes much more. I was extremely inpatient and too high to fully appreciate anything. 

From all that I remember which seems like everything blended into one big cutscene, I liked it a lot. I will give it a much better shot today sober. I don't know why I decided to get high lol but Holy shit I was baked. On a plus note, dinner was heavenly.  😋 

• Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, best3444 said:

Ok guys. I have failed you all. I was under the influence of 80mg of delta 9 last evening. I then mistakenly fired up FF16. Lol...I was litteraly IN the cutscenes. And yes, there were too many cutscenes. I had to start to skip them just to see how the gameplay was. I was high as fuck because I haven't used delta 9 in like 3 months.

I barely remember playing like it was a dream. The one thing that immediately stood out was the fuckin amazing soundtrack. That was far and beyond what impressed me the most.

The visuals are beautiful but I am not sure this is the best on PS5. It's close and I preferred performance mode even though it does take away from the visual fidelity. It ran phenomenally well for me and I thought the combat was much better than I was imagining. The effects were spectacular and if I were sober I would have enjoyed the cutscenes much more. I was extremely inpatient and too high to fully appreciate anything. 

From all that I remember which seems like everything blended into one big cutscene, I liked it a lot. I will give it a much better shot today sober. I don't know why I decided to get high lol but Holy shit I was baked. On a plus note, dinner was heavenly.  😋 

Wonder if Bacon will block you for this?

3 minutes ago, best3444 said:

I hope so. I did have a really relaxing evening but I shouldn't have played the game. 

I’m on my second play though of the demo. This time I’m saving the progress that I’ll use when it releases next week. 

15 minutes ago, Biggie said:

I’m on my second play though of the demo. This time I’m saving the progress that I’ll use when it releases next week. 

So you are on board to buy it? Are you being a sick fuck right now? 😆 

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, Bacon said:

Just this once, I will forgive, for I am benevolent. 👼

:bow:

8 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Can you not get high tonight and try one of the greatest games to ever been made.

I'll definitely be fine tonight. Lol I am so confused if you are getting this or not.

I have been thinking about replaying the demo, but I think I'll wait and start from the beginning when the game actually comes out. There will probably be trophies for that part of the game. That is unless there is some bonus reward for importing your demo save, but since it wasn't announced I doubt there will be one.

1 minute ago, Bacon said:

I have been thinking about replaying the demo, but I think I'll wait and start from the beginning when the game actually comes out. There will probably be trophies for that part of the game. That is unless there is some bonus reward for importing your demo save, but since it wasn't announced I doubt there will be one.

How long is the demo? I played an hour and had to stop. 

Just now, best3444 said:

How long is the demo? I played an hour and had to stop. 

The story section is about an hour and a half - two hours depending on how much you dilly-dally. Once you beat the swamp you got like 30 minutes left to go. The Eikonic Challenge is like 20-40 minutes. Overall, it is a 2-3 hour demo.

• Thanks 1

56 minutes ago, Bacon said:

The story section is about an hour and a half - two hours depending on how much you dilly-dally. Once you beat the swamp you got like 30 minutes left to go. The Eikonic Challenge is like 20-40 minutes. Overall, it is a 2-3 hour demo.

So about 12 minutes of gameplay.. Gotcha. 

Just now, Bacon said:

I don't know how many times I gotta point out that the Ekionic challenge exists.

brain GIF

OK, so roughly 35 minutes playing and 2.5 hrs watching lol

I do want to like this game but I am worried about taking a step.. Cutscene.. Pressing x to talk.. Cutscene.. Picking up an item.. Cutscene..opening a door.. Cutscene.. And so on and so forth 

• Haha 1

Just now, eventide11 said:

I do want to like this game but I am worried about taking a step.. Cutscene.. Pressing x to talk.. Cutscene.. Picking up an item.. Cutscene..opening a door.. Cutscene..

Oh, parts of the game will be for sure like this. FFXIV is the same way. However, there are 11 hours of cutscenes to the 60-ish hours it takes to get 100% (pretty sure Yoshi-P said that). I speculate that it will be like FFXIV in that it will lump a lot of the cutscenes together with minimal gameplay, and then have hours of content that is practically pure gameplay. I don't think the CS will be spread out enough for the quote to happen often. I do think that someone may set out to play a few hours of FFXVI only to end up having a movie night instead of a game night.

• Halal 1