Parents hiring Fortnite coaches for their kids?

Derek

If eSports is expected to only grow in the future, then why not?  People get rich off that shit.  Hell, colleges have started to put together varsity level eSports programs complete with scholarships.  People hire football, baseball, basketball, and whatever coaches for their kids.  Send their kids to skills camps, etc.  Makes sense that this would be a budding business opportunity.

It is pretty funny how this stuff works. We pay money so my son can have private hockey lessons, but the idea of paying money for Fortnite lessons still feels ludicrous.

It's also funny, because when I was a kid/teen, I was crazy into the entire video game scene. My brother played hockey. My parents hated everything about video games and loved that he played hockey. I used to spend hours arguing that they were more similar than different and that it was BS that they were willing to spend thousands of dollars and multiple hours every week to support him playing hockey but refused to support my hobby.

Now I'm the parent and I argue the opposite side with my kid... who loves both hockey and video games... but hates going to his private 1-on-1 skating lessons and just wants to stay home and play fortnite with his friends... meh, whatever, circle of life...

• Like 1

Overall I think video games are looked at with this negative stigma in our society due to the media/politicians portrayal of them. People never see video games having a positive outcome as well, for e.g. some of you compared sports to video games, when people think of sports and children they think of physical activity = healthy living. Now people think of video games = lazy. Now I definitely think twitch, esports and other factors are starting to give a different viewpoint to video games that they never had before and it's that you can make a living out them so there not so bad after all. I think how society views video games will eventually change as a whole.

Now as far as the fortnite coaches... people can do whatever they want with their money and kids, but to be honest just have your kids watch some good skilled streamers and learn what they do.

2 hours ago, bladimir2k said:

Overall I think video games are looked at with this negative stigma in our society due to the media/politicians portrayal of them. People never see video games having a positive outcome as well, for e.g. some of you compared sports to video games, when people think of sports and children they think of physical activity = healthy living. Now people think of video games = lazy. Now I definitely think twitch, esports and other factors are starting to give a different viewpoint to video games that they never had before and it's that you can make a living out them so there not so bad after all. I think how society views video games will eventually change as a whole.

Now as far as the fortnite coaches... people can do whatever they want with their money and kids, but to be honest just have your kids watch some good skilled streamers and learn what they do.

I think it's more generational. Attitudes will change now that todays adults have grown up in a world of video games. Once they've existed for multiple generations, they will be more of a socially acceptable past time.