'Ren & Stimpy Show' Revived at Comedy Central

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/ren-stimpy-show-revived-at-comedy-central-1306011

Comedy Central has greenlit a "reimagined" take on the former Nickelodeon and Spike adult animated series. Details are scarce, but the ViacomCBS-owned cable network plans to hire a new creative team for the update, which will be reimagined for a new generation. The series hails from Nickelodeon Animation Studio. Additional information, including writers, an episode count and premiere date, have not yet been determined.

The updated Ren & Stimpy show marks the latest push into adult animation for ViacomCBS Entertainment & Youth Group president Chris McCarthy, who also greenlit Daria spinoff Jodie, updates of Beavis and Butt-Head and Clone High. Both Jodie and Beavis and Butt-Head were picked up for Comedy Central, while the new Clone High does not yet have a network attached.

"We are excited to reinvent this iconic franchise with a new creative team and our partners at the Nickelodeon Animation Studio," McCarthy said. "Ren & Stimpy joins our rapidly expanding roster of adult animation including South Park, Beavis and Butt-Head and Clone High as we continue to reimagine our treasure chest of beloved IP for new generations."

Say what you will about John K. outside of this franchise, but the show originally died because Nickelodeon got rid of him. These 30+ years later, even if CC brings him back on, he's not gonna be the same guy who will bring back that old style of humor. Hell, wasn't he involved with SpikeTV's reboot and it crashed and burned because of the dumb shit he did with the characters?

15 hours ago, silentbob said:

I believe they were called the lost episodes and they only made 6.

I just remember it being REALLY bad. I think the name was changed but it was originally “Adult Party Cartoon” or something? Anyway, even with just 6 episodes made it got canned after only 3 aired.

4 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

I just remember it being REALLY bad. I think the name was changed but it was originally “Adult Party Cartoon” or something? Anyway, even with just 6 episodes made it got canned after only 3 aired.

This is all correct. The original show ran from 1991 to 1996 and had 52 episodes (93 "segments"). The second series, Ren & Stimply: "Adult Party Cartoon", was indeed 6 episodes long overall, came out in 2003, and only 3 episodes ever aired (the 6 were subsequently released on DVD, etc.). John Kricfalusi was very invovled in this second show, co-writing 5 of the episodes and directing all 6 episodes.

My mom couldn't let me watch the show as a kid. It's pretty fucking gross, though, and I have no desire to watch it now.

I still have a fondness for Rugrats and Hey Arnold, though. Nicktoons were my childhood. I remember liking Rocko's Modern Life, but I haven't seen it as an adult, so I don't know how well it holds up or if it's just as cringey.

7 hours ago, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

My mom couldn't let me watch the show as a kid. It's pretty fucking gross, though, and I have no desire to watch it now.

I still have a fondness for Rugrats and Hey Arnold, though. Nicktoons were my childhood. I remember liking Rocko's Modern Life, but I haven't seen it as an adult, so I don't know how well it holds up or if it's just as cringey.

What about Doug?

On 8/9/2020 at 2:40 PM, CastlevaniaNut18 said:

Rocko actually has aged really well; it's just a well-written show. An old co-worker and I went through the whole series a few years ago.

And having seen a few episodes of Rugrats recently, it has also aged well, particularly the first few seasons before it went on hiatus.

Doug is one I used to hate as a kid because I hated how frightened he was to do anything and thought up the most ridiculous scenarios. But the older I got, the more sense it made since Doug's a fucking teenager and should be scared of the most mundane things, or think up the most hysterically triumphant version of wooing Patti. I just didn't realize it when I was younger. Similar to how the Rugrats' parents were blissfully unaware of everything; my mom used to enjoy that.