Forza Motorsport - Information Thread, update: Digital Foundry PC version technical review

Pikachu

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forza Motorsport (10 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: hands-on previews articles and videos posted
FORZA.NET

Preload Forza Motorsport today and check out the list of unlockable Xbox and Steam achievements in the game.

FORZA.NET

Forza Motorsport will expand with new cars, tracks, career tours and online events. Here’s how we’re building an evolving racing platform to give players a steady flow of new challenges and gameplay experiences.

Forza Motorsport will expand with new cars, tracks, career tours and online events. Here’s how we’re building an evolving racing platform to give players a steady flow of new challenges and gameplay experiences.

Forza Motorsport launches on October 10 with over 500 cars, 20 completely rebuilt tracks and our new career and online racing modes. It’s a massive game from day one and it’ll continue to grow over time.

We want to ensure you always have something new to play in Forza Motorsport. That’s why we built the game to be an evolving racing platform. Once the game has been released, we expect to regularly add new content with monthly content drops that will help you fall in love with cars through skill and competition, as well as tweaks to gameplay and systems.

HEY BETHESDA - MAYBE YOU SHOULD GIVE TURN 10 A CALL ABOUT HOW TO ACTUALLY IMPLEMENT ACCESSIBILITY FEATURES, EH?

Forza Motorsport Accessibility Support

We want each of our players around the world to experience Forza Motorsport in a way that works best for them. We embrace Xbox’s philosophy that gaming is for everyone and should be inclusive and accessible.

You can navigate to Forza Motorsport’s accessibility and driving assistance settings directly from the main menu every time you start up the game. Here you will find the following options that can be tweaked to fit your needs and play style:

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forza Motorsport (10 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: Accessibility Support FAQ (ARE YOU PAYING ATTENTION, BETHESDA?!?)
13 hours ago, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

HEY BETHESDA - MAYBE YOU SHOULD GIVE TURN 10 A CALL ABOUT HOW TO ACTUALLY IMPLEMENT ACCESSIBILITY FEATURES, EH?

Forza Motorsport Accessibility Support

I feel like Bethesda would do is just give the player and in-game seeing eye dog, that doesn’t behave any differently than the dog in Fallout 4. 

• Haha 1

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Forza Motorsport has been available in preview form for the past few weeks, so how is the game shaping up on Series X a…

I've been playing the new Forza Motorsport preview these past couple of weeks and, in the wake of our developer interview with Turn 10, I wanted to share my own impressions on the game. After all, Forza 2023 has been in development longer than any prior entry in the Motorsport series and expectations are high. The preview build only includes a limited selection of content but it's enough to give us a better idea of how it's shaping up on Xbox Series X and Series S in terms of graphics, gameplay and performance.

The current preview build includes access to three cars and five tracks, and kicks off with an introduction segment in the spirit of Forza Horizon - where you're dropped right in the middle of a race in progress across two different tracks. It's nowhere near as seamless at Horizon, mind you, as there is a distinct loading point between the two events, but it's still a great way to kick things off and really showcases what the engine is capable of.

The first race takes place on series staple Maple Valley, and this is perhaps the best-looking track we've seen thus far. The new dynamic lighting system combined with the 3D foliage makes a world of difference creating a sleek, gorgeous track environment to race through. Compared against Forza Motorsport 7, the differences become evident - Forza 7's lighting is entirely baked and, while it can look amazing, the limitations are easily visible. The car sticks out and isn't well integrated into the environment, versus the new installment where everything is more grounded.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forza Motorsport (10 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: Xbox Series X/S First Look (Digital Foundry) and new screenshots

EAwZl5Q.png

qS1JYHj.png

IcrS6BR.png

vBRm6Fm.png

2du9Soe.png

EAIMP8O.png

Wjfe2Ih.png

flQbBtS.png

Many more here:

IMGUR.COM

Discover the magic of the internet at Imgur, a community powered entertainment destination. Lift your spirits with funny jokes, trending memes, entertaining gifs, inspiring stories, viral videos, and so much more from users like EarthBearer211.

• Like 1

I'm glad Luke reviewed this. I too had heavy concern regarding the new redesign of essentially leveling up one car at a time & sticking to a choice handful of cars overall in order to level them all up appropriately. Let's hope that Turn10 truly does revamp this via a patch down the road whenever more free tracks & cars are added before the end of the year. Regardless however, I'll be playing this SO much starting next week. Feels as though I have been waiting for literally EVER to enjoy a new FM!

1 hour ago, SoberChef said:

I'm glad Luke reviewed this. I too had heavy concern regarding the new redesign of essentially leveling up one car at a time & sticking to a choice handful of cars overall in order to level them all up appropriately. Let's hope that Turn10 truly does revamp this via a patch down the road whenever more free tracks & cars are added before the end of the year. Regardless however, I'll be playing this SO much starting next week. Feels as though I have been waiting for literally EVER to enjoy a new FM!

Forza 4 was damn near perfect in terms of a sense of progression and “purpose”. I have no idea why every mainline Forza since has felt like a downgrade. In 4, every time you reached a new level you were rewarded with a car (often special ones) and/or bonus credits which made leveling feel relevant. 5 basically put in loot box style “prizes” that gave mostly cosmetic nonsense and they never went back to a winning formula, IMO. This newest iteration with “car levels” just, from a perspective of someone who hasn’t actually played it yet, seems to be a way to force grinding and even limit experimentation with new cars. I dunno, just friggen remake 4 with updated cars, graphics, physics/driving mechanics, and AI. 
 :shrug:

• True 1

37 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

Forza 4 was damn near perfect in terms of a sense of progression and “purpose”. I have no idea why every mainline Forza since has felt like a downgrade. In 4, every time you reached a new level you were rewarded with a car (often special ones) and/or bonus credits which made leveling feel relevant. 5 basically put in loot box style “prizes” that gave mostly cosmetic nonsense and they never went back to a winning formula, IMO. This newest iteration with “car levels” just, from a perspective of someone who hasn’t actually played it yet, seems to be a way to force grinding and even limit experimentation with new cars. I dunno, just friggen remake 4 with updated cars, graphics, physics/driving mechanics, and AI. 
 :shrug:

This is why I love ya & why I couldn't agree more. Forza 4 hit is perfectly. I loved going through, ticking off all of the boxes & seeing all of those lovely orange check marks next to everything I have already completed. Maybe if Turn 10 had stuck to that format through 5, 6, & 7, then perhaps a change should be necessitated. However, I still hold out hope that perhaps one day, we can get back there.

2 minutes ago, SoberChef said:

This is why I love ya & why I couldn't agree more. Forza 4 hit is perfectly. I loved going through, ticking off all of the boxes & seeing all of those lovely orange check marks next to everything I have already completed. Maybe if Turn 10 had stuck to that format through 5, 6, & 7, then perhaps a change should be necessitated. However, I still hold out hope that perhaps one day, we can get back there.

It’s a shame because the actual driving/racing has improved along with the gameplay/racing mechanics and physics; there’s just no sense of “progression” and it, for me at least, makes me abandon the games much sooner compared to the amount of near endless hours I put into the first 4 titles.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Mr.Vic20 said:

How in the Hell did the sink the performance of a racing game? Historically, racing games have typically been fairly decent performers. I guess the road side attractions are quite impressive this year... 

I truly believe that the release of the 4000 series has made developers ridiculously lazy in terms of optimization. The 3090 Ti to 4090 is the biggest generation to generation leap ever made in GPUs, and devs just went “oh, we’ll use these $1600 GPUs that just came out within the past year as the standard for max settings instead of optimizing our games and/or making them look significantly better”.

34 minutes ago, Spork3245 said:

IMG-8112.jpg

WCCFTECH.COM

We tested the new Forza Motorsport game on PC. Unfortunately, its performance is currently disappointing even on a high-end configuration.

7800x3D w/4090, 4k max settings, DLSS set to performance… sub-40fps avg. 

@stepee @Mr.Vic20

Actually, something might be wrong with their setup? Maybe outdated drivers…? Tom Warren has much better results at 1440p native (which should technically be within 5-10% of 4k with DLSS at quality):

IMG-8113.jpg 

• Halal 1

Game Information

Game Title: Forza Motorsport

Platforms:

• PC (Oct 10, 2023)
  • Xbox Series X/S (Oct 10, 2023)

Developer: Turn 10 Studios
Publisher: Xbox Game Studios

Review Aggregator:
OpenCritic - 84 average - 93% recommended

Critic Reviews

Spoiler

Daily Star - Tom Hutchison - 5 / 5

It’s beautiful, brilliant to play and packed full of cars worth tinkering with. All in one easy-to-access package.

This title tops the podium.

Saving Content - Ed Acosta - 5 / 5

Turn10 has another hit on their hands in Motorsport. Where the previous three may have slowly descended with tricks like cards and boosts and the like, Forza Motorsport in 2023 gets us back to what matters: the racing, and with the focus on the CaRPG, ties us even closer to the cars we love to drive. Turn10 plans for this to be an ever-growing game, a live-service title if you will, so if Forza Motorsport is excellent now, one can only imagine how much better this will be down the road.

The Outerhaven Productions - Keith Mitchell - 5 / 5

Turn 10 Studios has taken what was already a decent simulator racer and improved on it in so many ways that it's impossible not to enjoy it as a car and racing fan. The attention to detail when it comes to the tracks, the cars, the mechanics, and even the performance. This trumps every previous effort, every prior Forza Motorsport game that Turn 10 has ever developed, and I'm sure that was the plan all along.

Twinfinite - Nick Rivera - 5 / 5

Where so many games make me feel like I’m left wanting, Forza Motorsport left me feeling excited for the future. Sure, they’ll continue to add cars, tracks and races to this existing title, but seeing where we are now compared to where I thought was the top was nearly a decade ago leaves me feeling hopeful that as technology continues to press forward, Forza Motorsport will always be right there pushing it.

GamingTrend - Cassie Peterson - 95 / 100

Forza Motorsport really does create a platform that leaves an open track to expand on. This is the easiest Forza to get into and it performs at such a high level, you may forget it's just a game. There's nothing standing between you and the racetrack.

Geeks & Com - Anthony Gravel - French - 9.5 / 10

Forza Motorsport is the best racing game on the market, surpassing even Forza Horizon 5, whose style has always won me over. Immersion is at its peak from start to finish, and you fall in love with the driving of your vehicles and the feeling of progression. The game's visuals have been taken to the next level, and the developers have used the AI to great effect. I can't wait to see what Turn 10 has in store for us in the months and years to come.

Generación Xbox - Alejandro Serrador - Spanish - 95 / 100

Turn 10 Studios puts the pedal fully to the metal to deliver the ultimate in refined driving with Forza Motorsport, a masterpiece of the genre that exudes speed and style.

God is a Geek - Steve Chambers - 9.5 / 10

An excellent companion piece to the open-world, frantic off-road action of Forza Horizon, Forza Motorsport is the next generation of racing that I've been waiting so very long for.

MondoXbox - Davide Mapelli - Italian - 9.5 / 10

Forza Motorsport is back in the best possible way, thanks to a simply fabulous technical achievement, a rewarding and tremendously exciting driving model, and plenty of new features that manage to modernize the entire racing game genre; the RPG-like development system is superb, and the system that penalizes players who race unfairly in online competitions is excellent. Yet another love letter from Turn 10 to the world of racing, and it is bound to make you completely fall in love with it.

Prima Games - Shaun Cichacki - 9.5 / 10

Forza Motorsport is not only a massive step forward in quality for the franchise but for racing games in general. It's a new benchmark for other games to strive toward, both graphically and gameplay-wise, and the team at Turn 10 should be proud of what they brought to the table this time around.

Lords Of Gaming - Mahmood Ghaffar - 9.4 / 10

It’s been a while since we had an entry in the Forza Motorsport series. However, that time was well spent revamping the game’s pristine driving mechanics and physics for the current generation. All the while incorporating a modern leveling system and live-service features that keep the dopamine rush intact. Truly, the king is back.

SomosXbox - Mikel Pernia - Spanish - 9.2 / 10

The traffic light that has been red for so long, has been turned off and the competition starts with the rebirth of the benchmark of the simarcade. Forza Motorsport offers everything racing lovers could ask for. Sensations, experiences and races, is everything a car and racing lover can ask for and will find in Forza Motorsport.

Atomix - Alexis Patiño - Spanish - 90 / 100

Forza Motorsport feels like coming back home, after six years without the series it's good to be back. However, it lacks the element of evolution the name implies by dropping the numbers.

Attack of the Fanboy - J.R. Waugh - 4.5 / 5

Forza Motorsport is an addictive, shockingly fun, extremely impressive visual showcase for the franchise. I was amazed by how often I wanted to play more, get more slick cars, and keep striving to perform better.

But Why Tho? - Mick Abrahamson - 9 / 10

Forza Motorsport is masterfully made. The driving feels fantastic. The races at first are exhilarating. Plus, all multiplayer modes are enjoyable, and hours will pass in the blink of an eye.

GameSpew - Richard Seagrave - 9 / 10

Forza Motorsport has been worth the wait. While this isn’t a huge departure from previous entries in the series, changes have been made that make it more rewarding. It’s a racing sim that caters to both those who want serious online competition and single-player fun. And what’s more, it aims to make players better drivers with its safety rating system and its approach to car upgrades. Throw on top noticeably improved physics and sublime visuals, and you have one of the best racing sims currently available. With more content set to arrive after launch, it’s only likely to get better, too.

GameSpot - Alessandro Barbosa - 9 / 10

Forza Motorsport is a triumphant return for the simulation racing series, and it has never been as approachable or rewarding.

Gameblog - Guillaume Pfeiffer - French - 9 / 10

Forza Motorsport is back on Xbox and PC, and in a big way. The long wait is rewarded with a game of exceptional quality, both in terms of content and technology.  A must-have for any racing fan, despite a few small details that could have been improved at launch.

Gamers Heroes - Johnny Hurricane - 90 / 100

While I still think Forza Horizon is the better series, there is no denying Forza Motorsport has the best driving around. Racing fans should pick up Game Pass and give it a go.

GamingBolt - Ravi Sinha - 9 / 10

Turn 10 Studios' flagship racing series has never been better. With exceptional gameplay, gorgeous graphics, a compelling Career Mode and a swathe of options, Forza Motorsport is simply incredible.

LevelUp - Víctor Rosas - Spanish - 9 / 10

Forza Motorsport is one of the best racing video games in history and it shines where it needs to. Turn 10 has created a monster whose engine roars, motivating and intimidating at the same level.

Nexus Hub - Keegan Govender - 9 / 10

I'm left with a burning desire to share this incredible experience and run back for more. Forza Motorsport is more than just a piece of entertainment; it's a celebration of the love we all share for cars, racing, and the indomitable spirit of competition.

NoobFeed - Azfar Rayan - 90 / 100

Forza Motorsport is a fantastic racing game that delivers a satisfying experience. While that may be the case, the driving experience is nothing like a simulator. If you have an Xbox One X or S, you'll get a satisfying sense of weight and stability when navigating racing cars. You'll be startled by the disparate visual standards; newer cars have sharper detailing than older ones. However, rear-wheel drive street cars have certain odd quirks. Although a steering wheel add-on is supported, we recommend using a gamepad for the optimal experience. If you like competitions, you'll love the format of practicing and then qualifying for the event. You can choose the fastest three laps to use in a given race with the latter. It's unclear if this will get enough interest to support a healthy multiplayer scene. Forza Motorsport is a must-have for any Xbox owner when it comes to improving your online driving skills.

PC Invasion - Jack Salter - 9 / 10

Forza Motorsport is another fantastic entry into the series. Bringing some fantastic tracks, visuals, and elevating the already stellar driving.

SECTOR.sk - Matúš Štrba - Slovak - 9 / 10

More than 500 cars, 20 completely redesigned tracks, each with different variations, an already rich career and addictive multiplayer. And that's just the beginning of the new Forza Motorsport. Turn 10 is truly delivering a next-generation racing game that strips away the bells and whistles to focus on the driving and the experience. You're going to drive a lot, you're going to improve, you're going to unlock new things and you're going to have fun. That's the most important thing.

Sirus Gaming - Lexuzze Tablante - 9 / 10

Forza Motorsport shines and takes the top place on the podium. With the sheer amount of cars, and the amazing race tracks it initially offers, race sim fans and newcomers will find Forza Motorsport inviting and fun.

The Games Machine - Claudio Magistrelli - Italian - 9 / 10

Like a Formula 1 car, Forza Motorsport has more radically rethought its set-up to narrow the gap on rivals. The new career introduces RPG-like components designed to increase the bond between the player and their vehicles: the fleet of cars is still large, but the focus has shifted to performance customization. Manual calibration of difficulty and aids makes it suitable for any type of player, while still offering an intriguing challenge thanks to the AI of the drivatars. Visually it is impressive, but something is still missing to get to the realism of GT.

The Nerd Stash - Julio La Pine - 9 / 10

Turn 10 Studios has put the pedal to the metal in this installment, and it is one of the best racing simulators out there today!

TrueAchievements - Sean Carey - 9 / 10

With its gorgeous visuals, cars that feel amazing on the track thanks to an excellent physics model, and an approachable and fresh RPG-like progression system that will get its hooks into most players that get behind the wheel, Forza Motorsport is easily one of the best racing games of the year.

VideoGamer - Antony Terence - 9 / 10

Forza Motorsport’s refined handling, next-gen visuals, and responsive physics tempt you with an accessible yet familiar thrill, especially when you avoid spiraling into a bend.

WhatIfGaming - Hristijan Pavlovski - 9 / 10

Forza Motorsport is a thrilling racing simulator that offers something to both beginners and veterans alike. It throws you into the world of professional racing and makes you fall in love with it. The sheer variety of vehicles, and racetracks paired with extensive customization make it the finest entry in the series yet. It's one of the best-looking games on the market with every vehicle beautifully rendered in ridiculous detail. If you're looking for a title to drive down the rabbit hole of racing sims, there is no better place to start, especially with its focus on accessibility and onboarding.

Cerealkillerz - Steve Brieller - German - 8.8 / 10

Forza Motorsport keeps the pace of its predecessors but can't overtake it. A big collection of photorealistic cars to drive with, with a plentora of settings to tune their performance on twenty different tracks sounds promising as always. Unsurprisingly this formula still works like a charm. Sadly, the carreer mode lacks a tutorial, a story, rivalries  or anything else tuning and driving. This severe lack of atmosphere doesn't fit a otherwise great and polished game like Forza.

Hobby Consolas - Rafael Aznar - Spanish - 88 / 100

As Aston Martin did in Formula 1 at the beginning of the season, Turn 10 has started from the scratch and it has created a car with a very promising future. Taking into account that it follows the game as service standard, it has a lot of potential to improve, but Forza Motorsport is an astonishing driving simulator for all kind of audiences.

Life is Xbox - Dae Jim - 88 / 100

I expected more from Forza Motorsport glorious return. More content and some additional novelties perhaps? Either way, it’s a great racing experience with overwhelming visuals and sound. Turn 10 has delivered a very good game that will only get better with time.

Game Informer - Brian Shea - 8.8 / 10

Forza Motorsport may not have the most in-depth career mode, but it executes nearly every aspect of the package exceptionally well. Though some of the progression and dynamic visual elements fall short of the realism the rest of the title achieves, Forza Motorsport currently vies for the pole position in the sim-racer field.

Areajugones - Claudio Torres - Spanish - 8.7 / 10

Sticking to what was already done isn't always a bad thing, and Forza Motorsport proves it. Although it does not mark a before and after in the saga, it is still a great driving game that improves enough compared to the previous installment to be superior. An impeccable gameplay that stands out for how accessible it is even for those who do not play with a steering wheel added to the fact that it is possibly the greatest graphic portent of the Xbox catalog make a cocktail that makes this title an essential within its genre.

GamePro - Tobias Veltin - German - 87 / 100

Forza Motorsport is technically and playfully a stunner, but as a complete package it doesn't quite come close to the class of its predecessors

Worth Playing - Tony "OUberLord" Mitera - 8.7 / 10

Obviously, there are a couple of rougher edges in this "reboot" of the Forza Motorsport series, but there is quite a solid game to be found. The PC version seems like it could use a patch or two to bolster the performance, and the AI doesn't seem to respect that you also exist on the track. However, this is a game that absolutely delivers if you are the kind of person who finds their peace while taking a vehicle on track and trying to find its absolute limit.

CGMagazine - Andrew Farrell - 8.5 / 10

Forza Motorsport is another fantastic racing experience from developer Turn 10, with a ton of content and plenty of great driving as long as players don’t mind grinding or waiting around at times.

Everyeye.it - Alessandro Petruio - Italian - 8.5 / 10

This is a solid, satisfying and fun title, which certainly will not disappoint fans of racing games.

Gamersky - 心灵奇兵 - Chinese - 8.5 / 10

The reboot of Forza Motorsport has been a success. Its extensive support options and accessibility settings make it perhaps the most suitable racing game for beginners. The changes to the gameplay and rules also make for a more realistic racing experience. Unfortunately, this long-awaited six-year wait has failed to fully showcase its highlights.

Gaming Instincts - Leonid Melikhov - 8.5 / 10

Forza Motorsport will be receiving a final verdict of 8.5 out of 10. All in all, it’s a great game with a few weird design choices that hopefully could be addressed in the future. But the experience of racing itself is addicting, beautiful, and top-notch. It also has a ton of content for you to mess around with, 500 cars to collect, monthly rotational events to participate in, and a fun multiplayer mode to play by yourself or with your friends.

INVEN - Kyuman Kim - Korean - 8.5 / 10

The latest Forza Motorsport, returning to authentic circuit racing after six years, has further enhanced user-friendliness, accompanied by various technological advancements. The game offers immersive gameplay that goes beyond competition, adding the joy of overcoming one's own lap times, all set against visually pleasing landscapes. However, there seems to be room for improvement in reducing the significant repetition required when customizing one's own vehicle.

Multiplayer First - James Lara - 8.5 / 10

Although I'm not too fond of the always-online requirement, looking beyond that, Turn 10 has, without question, delivered its best racing simulator to date with Forza Motorsport. From all-new driving physics to a host of new accessibility options and realistic visuals with some of the best ray tracing implementation I've seen in a racer. Forza Motorsport is sure to satisfy any fans of the series out there when it comes to its simulator gameplay.

But beyond that, there are a few areas that could use some fine-tuning. Specifically in its RPG mechanics, which can feel like a grind for upgrading vehicles. It also lacks tracks and modes, but that's something that can be fixed over time. It's still an issue for launch, though I'm sure in the year to come, Turn 10 will have Forza Motorsport firing on all cylinders to make it the ultimate racing simulator.

Tom's Hardware Italia - Andrea Riviera - Italian - 8.5 / 10

Forza Motorsport is exactly what we hoped it would be: a great racing game with solid gameplay that can be enjoyed both with gamepads and finally also with a high variety of gaming steering wheels. Its sim/arcade nature makes it highly accessible for any type of gamer, from those who prefer a more immediate experience to those who want to try their hand at hard-fought races

WellPlayed - Jordan Garcia - 8.5 / 10

Turn 10 has displayed its technical proficiency and understanding of the sim-racing genre once more with this stellar entry into the Forza Motorsport series. It is a shame that an always-online requirement casts a shadow that looms over what is an otherwise genre-defining game.

GAMES.CH - Nedžad Hurabašić - German - 84%

Forza Motorsport 2023 makes a great return after a six-year hiatus, impressing with its motivating career mode changes and stunning graphics. While it excels in vehicle handling and design dye, the limited track selection and lack of diversity in the career mode are notable drawbacks.

New Game Network - Alex Varankou - 84 / 100

Forza Motorsport returns to the track with some high quality sim racing, a healthy amount of content, impressive presentation, and enough tweaks to make its familiar formula feel fresh again.

COGconnected - Alex Everatt - 80 / 100

With that said, there were a few sore spots. Some of the visuals, particularly the background visuals, were a bit underwhelming. The inability to disable crossplay makes me nervous to play online with such a prevelance of mods & hacks in other crossplay games. And the forced practice mode in Tours of Motorsport is frustrating and will likely limit the amount of tours I actually end up completing. It’s just too time consuming and, well, boring, to keep practicing the same track over and over. With that said, there is still plenty to enjoy here, and well-worth a try if you’re already subscribing to Xbox Game Pass.

Dexerto - Kurt Perry - 4 / 5

Though it’s not as good as the classics, Forza Motorsport is still the best entry in the series since the beginning of the Xbox One era. The massive strides made on track and creative RPG leveling mechanics let it appeal to both racing game veterans and newbies alike. It’s just a shame that the bizarre AI behavior and frustrating FPS restrictions in multiplayer hurt what is an otherwise superb racing experience.

Digital Trends - Tomas Franzese - 4 / 5

Forza Motorsport may not have the fanciest presentation, but it's one of the prettiest and most approachable racing simulators ever.

Eurogamer - Josh Wise - 4 / 5

A generous and lavish racer, with thrilling driving, that wants you for the long haul.

Eurogamer.pt - Vítor Alexandre - Portuguese - 4 / 5

After a six-year absence, Forza Motorsport returns to the road with a new version that is well-honed on the axes promoted by Turn 10. It's an immediately familiar game, capable of lasting for months and years, in a racing style between simulation and arcade inclination. Somewhat conservative in the game modes, without shying away from compartmentalized structures and not given to risking new tests and challenges, he plays the card in the heart of the races, in the physics and in the driver's seat, refining much of his legacy, even if he has left behind some of the most impressive circuits that the series has known. Nevertheless, it remains as one of the best driving games. Capable of challenging and impressing the most ardent fan of car driving.

Expansive - Jay Jones - 4 / 5

Forza Motorsport is a brilliant reinvention for the franchise that will appeal to core drivers and Horizon fans in equal measure. With a more approachable barrier for entry, but plenty of substance with endless customisation possibilities, tweaks and fine-tuning, there’s something for everyone. Minor technical issues and environmental repetition aside, you can add in a visual style that will set the benchmark for the generation, and a long tail that will ensure the game stays healthy for months, even years to come. Forza Motorsport is a must play, no matter what skill level you’re at.

GRYOnline.pl - Krzysztof Mysiak - Polish - 8 / 10

Forza Motorsport is finally back to claim its rightful crown of the kingdom of simcade racing.

GameCrate - Paul Semel - 8 / 10

Forza Motorsport is still an exceptional racing game. The tracks are nicely curved, the controls are smooth and intuitive, and the competition — be it online or against the machine — makes this challenging but not frustrating (or frustratingly easy).

GameSkinny - Chris Smith - 8 / 10

Forza Motorsport revives the series in triumphant fashion.

Hardcore Gamer - Cory Wells - 4 / 5

Turn 10 Studios and PlayGround Games have improved the simulation racing aspect with Forza Motorsport. The racing is clearly the focus and the results are best experienced with a wheel as the tire model physics have helped to push this more into sim racing territory.

Hey Poor Player - Andrew Thornton - 4 / 5

I’m not sure I’ve ever played a racing game that feels better than Forza Motorsport. Whether you’re controlling the fastest car in the game or the slowest, it’s compelling to push each vehicle to its limits and keep finding ways to improve your ride. I wish the experience around this core gameplay found more ways to create a compelling journey, but fans of the genre are mainly coming for the racing itself, and they’ll find everything they need in Forza Motorsport.

IGN - Luke Reilly - 8 / 10

Forza Motorsport is brimming with new features across the board, from its muscular new multiplayer to its much-improved handling, but its new RPG-inspired upgrade system feels like a step down.

IGN Spain - Guillermo Proupín - Spanish - 8 / 10

Forza Motorsport is an absolute masterpiece that takes simulation to its maximum exponent, but also the demonstration that Turn 10 Studios is failing testing at the user experience level

Metro GameCentral - Nick Gillett - 8 / 10

A fabulously detailed racing game with a huge car roster and engrossing single-player modes, slightly marred by forcefully encouraging you to perform practise laps before races.

PC Gamer - Phil Iwaniuk - 80 / 100

As mechanically polished as driving sims have ever been on PC. Stately and familiar, but finely crafted.

Post Arcade (National Post) - Chad Sapieha - 8 / 10

Still, Turn 10’s 8th kick at the Forza Motorsport can should have plenty of appeal to gearheads looking for a photorealistic, physically accurate simulation of high speed racing. And since it’s included with Xbox Game Pass, there’s no reason for subscribers not to take it for a test spin.

Press Start - Agus Berry - 8 / 10

Forza Motorsport ticks all the right boxes for just about any racing fan – honing in its focus on the love of cars and offering up a balance between approachable racing and hardcore simulation. Progression changes might rub some the wrong way, and its AI drivers desperately need more practice time, but a long hiatus for the franchise has birthed a solid baseline for the future.

Pure Xbox - Ben Kerry - 8 / 10

Forza Motorsport feels like a game that's set up for the future. The technical underpinnings on show in Turn 10's Xbox Series X|S debut are remarkable, and this sort of solid foundation is always a good start. While there's still hours and hours of fun to be had with what is here, genre fans will quickly be reminded of what's missing - making the new FM feel like a launch pad for what's to come rather than a complete experience at launch. When Turn 10 gets around to adding more unique career events, tracks and bonus features, this could become one of the very best sim racers ever to grace Xbox. For now, it's a brilliant effort that doesn't quite finish in first place.

Screen Rant - Rob Gordon - 4 / 5

Overall, Forza Motorsport is a triumph of virtual motor racing. Turn 10 Studios has brought the Forza franchise to a new generation with aplomb, and although not quite all the updates entirely land, it's a tremendous racing game that could be nearly perfect with just a handful of tweaks.

Seasoned Gaming - Ainsley Bowden - 8 / 10

Forza Motorsport is a leap forward, providing a racing experience that is unmatched in many ways. But its light feature set prevent it from truly excelling.

Shacknews - Jan Ole Peek - 8 / 10

After six years of waiting for the next iteration of Forza Motorsport, Turn 10 Studios delivers a solid offering, packed with hundreds of cars, upgrades, and tuning options, all bundled in a gorgeous presentation package. Not outstanding, but good support for racing hardware means that the experience on track is exactly what Forza fans have been waiting for.

Spaziogames - Giulia Garassino - Italian - 8 / 10

Forza Motorsport is certainly a very welcome return. The title doesn't change so much, offering a large fleet of cars, different tracks and a good driving system which, however, lacks some details. The drive system has been improved, but without achieving the best possibile result. While driving almost all cars, we feel excessive understeer and oversteer and this makes for some in-game moments slightly frustrating, especially in the single player races.

TheGamer - Sam Hallahan - 4 / 5

Forza Motorsport is a beautiful and fast experience, but one that slows itself down to the pace you need while still keeping you solely behind the wheel. You can opt for as little or as much assistance and realism as you desire, and players of all kinds will find exactly what they want from the game. Whether it’s a simulation that you will have to master, or something where you just want to hold accelerate and feel the thrill of racing in a high-speed competitive sport without having to think too much about it, Forza Motorsport is prepared to suit those needs.

TheSixthAxis - Stefan L - 8 / 10

Sometimes it's worth trying to reinvent the wheel, and Turn 10's renewed Forza Motorsport takes the series in some new and worthwhile directions. The 'CarPG' levelling and pre-race practice sessions really help to foster familiarity and confidence with cars and tracks over time, and Forza is now on a par with Gran Turismo and others for the online race structure. It all sets the foundations for years of new cars, tracks, races and further improvements that I'm looking forward to seeing.

TrueGaming - حسين الموسى - Arabic - 8 / 10

The racing experience has changed with the new Forza Motorsport. An immersive racing sim packing a dynamic weather system, crisp sound engine and a brand new career mode awaits.

VGC - Chris Scullion - 4 / 5

The new Forza is the best in the series to date when it comes to the look and feel of serious motorsport racing. Its relative lack of modes means it's something of a one-trick pony at launch, but that trick is an impressive one.

Windows Central - Zachary Boddy - 4 / 5

Forza Motorsport (2023) isn't just a new beginning for the legendary simulation racing franchise, it also represents a previously unreached peak for the series. Turn 10 Studios have done an incredible job delivering one of the best core driving experiences of any game, but not everything has been properly rebuilt from the ground up.

ZTGD - Ken McKown - 8 / 10

The production values are unmatched, but I found myself growing bored playing this game, and I really enjoy sim racers.

AltChar - Semir Omerovic - 75 / 100

Forza Motorsport is a great starting point for the new era of this popular racing franchise. While it's far from perfect and has plenty of room for improvement, it's a very good racing game that has plenty of identity and qualities.

Stevivor - Steve Wright - 7.5 / 10

As a casual player, there’s certainly enjoyment to be had, but much like Mortal Kombat 1, I think I’ve had my full just a couple days in.

AnaitGames - Víctor Manuel Martínez García - Spanish - 7 / 10

Turn 10's racing game returns with a very solid proposal that has a lot at stake in the medium and long term.

Enternity.gr - Giannis Archontidis - Greek - 7 / 10

Forza Motorsport presents itself differently from its predecessors, trying to achieve the "golden" intersection between arcade and simulation, sometimes with positive, sometimes with negative result.

GamesRadar+ - Justin Towell - 3.5 / 5

Forza Motorsport's fantastic online racing, brilliant weather effects, and liquid-smooth game engine are at odds with the dull, one-note offline gameplay that's nowhere near as fun as that of its superlative predecessor. Turn 10 has delivered a racing game that's slicker than ever, but also a bit of a step backwards.

PCGamesN - Ford James - 7 / 10

Forza Motorsport is an adequate racing game, one that delivers on the track but doesn't come with enough bells and whistles to be considered a true great in the genre. There are better options in almost all racing sub-genres on PC, but when you're in the cockpit, the driving itself is ferocious and raw, with plenty to enjoy.

Saudi Gamer - عبد الله الباشان - Arabic - 7 / 10

Forza Motorsport feels like a platform that can be improved in the years to come. But on launch, it lacks a lot of content, and does have so many technical and graphical downsides with false promises that make it a disappointing game on launch, with a bright future.

TechRaptor - Samiee Tee - 5.5 / 10

In an ironic twist, what was once a shining jewel in Xbox’s catalog, and the apex of simulation, has now become a timid companion piece to the infinitely more fulfilling Forza Horizon.

ACG - Jeremy Penter - Wait for Sale

Video Review - Quote not available

Digital Spy - Jess Lee - Unscored

It's a game that, I think, is newcomer-friendly and a good starting point if you've ever wanted to give the series or the sim racing genre a go. There will obviously be more to like for car fans, but this also comes across as a polished title that's considerate towards newer players.

Echo Boomer - David Fialho - Portuguese - No Recommendation

Between a visually boring game, lacking iconic locations and varied challenges, and with an extremely limiting campaign, Forza Motorsport may very well be the least exciting entry in the series.

Gaming Age - Dustin Chadwell - B

This is very much a racing game focused on competition, both online and off, that drops any and all fluff or extraneous content in favor of doubling down on lots of car options, some really stellar track redesigns, and just the general thrill of competitive track racing. It’s not going to be a racing game for everyone, falling very much into the category of sim racer, but there are enough accessibility options and difficulty sliders that even the most inexperienced racing player will manage to eke out some enjoyment here.

One More Game - Chris Garcia - Buy

Forza Motorsport is unmatched when it comes to Xbox racers. The driving feel is superb, and the audio-visual presentation is an absolute standout that enhances the experience by a mile. With a plethora of cars to choose from, there’s always that next vehicle to look forward to.

Admittedly, the overall amount of features that the game has at this point is slim compared to others out there. This will vary from player to player and will depend on what they value, but there’s no denying that the game could use a bump in this category. Thankfully, the developers are committed to improving the game throughout its life cycle, so we can expect only better things from here on out for Forza Motorsport.

Polygon - Oli Welsh - Unscored

Forza Motorsport is serious business. Put the time in, Turn 10 is saying; do your laps, shave off the seconds, make that one small tweak, grind out that win. I respect its focus, and its refusal to pander to fun-addled Horizon players, instead offering them a clearly articulated invitation to join its more austere church. This is a game about going round in circles, a little bit faster every time, and it’s quite unapologetic about it.

PowerUp! - Leo Stevenson - Loved

As a non-racer, I have been incredibly impressed by what's on offer. While I still prefer the open-world shenanigans and quirky Burnout-inspired Horizon series, I can see what's so appealing about these types of games thanks to this latest entry.

Vamers - Edward Swardt - Essential

It is no small feat for a game to impress as much as Forza Motorsport does. There are few titles actively attempting to keep the bar as high as humanly possible for future titles to draw from, and Forza Motorsport is undoubtedly one of those. It is gorgeous in all the right ways; feels amazing to play; and truly immerses players into the entire gameplay loop. Exceptional is hardly an appropriate classification for the game, as it is damn-near one of the best simulators of the generation.

Wccftech - Chris Wray - Unscored

Forza Motorsport looks outstanding. The game features a level of detail that goes above and beyond, and I can only liken it to that of Gran Turismo 7. The few cars I have been able to get hands-on with look immaculate; the attention to detail, the reflections, and the lighting all make for nothing short of visual joy. The same can be said for the audio, from what I've experienced so far, with the same attention that the visuals got.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forza Motorsport (10 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: reviews from OpenCritic posted
Just now, Commissar SFLUFAN said:

That doesn't surprise me at all.  In fact, the surprise to me would be if keys for the Steam version of MS-published titles were available on third-party retail sites.

I'm debating about whether I want to spend the extra $45 ($147 vs. $102) to get it on Steam vs. the MS store.  While I want to have it available on Steam Deck, not sure I want to spend $45 for the privilege. 

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

Six years have passed since the release of Forza Motorsport 7, so does the 2023 release offer enough of a visual upgrad…

Six years and five days have passed since the release of Forza Motorsport 7, and Turn 10 Studios have been hard at work on a new entry in the beloved racing series. The simply-titled Forza Motorsport is an advanced track-based racer developed for PC and current-gen console hardware, emphasising advanced detail and sophisticated ray tracing effects.

It's an impressive effort, as John has detailed in his preview, but with the full version in hand, how do the game's 20 tracks hold up? How have the graphics been enhanced since the last series entry? And have we seen any notable improvements over the preview code?

Right from the opening, it's clear that Forza Motorsport is an impressive-looking racing game. There are intricate car models, detailed and well-lit tracks, with ray-traced reflections. There are a lot of great-looking track-based racing titles out there, and this is definitely one of the better-looking racing titles released in the current generation.

Alex has a PC review coming soon.

• Commissar SFLUFAN changed the title to Forza Motorsport (10 October 2023) - Information Thread, update: OpenCritic reviews and Digital Foundry Xbox version technical review
8 hours ago, Spork3245 said:

Actually, something might be wrong with their setup? Maybe outdated drivers…? Tom Warren has much better results at 1440p native (which should technically be within 5-10% of 4k with DLSS at quality):

IMG-8113.jpg 

I’ve seen wfc post weird benchmarks before so idk what is up with them, though to give them the benefit of the doubt it’s possible that dlss is not working which would almost explain it the difference here.

7 minutes ago, Biggie said:

Well Starfield was …..even though it was already out. I love GamePass!

Yeah that’s what I mean, it’s your first one to be there for at launch! Forza is a great gamepass game for me because I probably wouldn’t buy it since I don’t plan on it dethroning GT7 for this type of game for me but I wanna see the pretty graphics!

• Hype 1

Booted it up, it didn't recognize my Ultrawide monitor (so everything was stretched).  Went into settings and fixed it.  Moved to next demo race, and it reverted again to a 16:9 resolution.

Then it tells me that there will be a framerate cap in multiplyayer games to "keep everything fair".  What?

This does not look like Turn 10 understands PC gaming. 

WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

How does Forza Motorsport (2023) fare on PC? Here's the full Digital Foundry PC tech review from Alex Battaglia, includ…

Getting to the end of this analysis, I have a pretty mixed opinion of Forza Motorsport in its current form. It certainly scales beyond the Xbox version in meaningful ways, but I'm confused why it doesn't scale even higher - especially when the game was demonstrated with much better RT reflections and even RTGI in pre-launch marketing materials. With that in mind, it's hard to understand why the game lacks more useful quality knobs to adjust RT reflection resolution, distance and RTGI? I can only guess, but it's a bit disappointing that one of the biggest visual improvements over consoles is anisotropic filtering.

The lack of RT options could partially be explained by the game's CPU performance, which in my opinion leaves a lot to be desired. At present, the game seems overly reliant in single-core performance, with some of the flattest core scaling I've ever measured since I started doing this kind of test - it's arguably worse than Star Wars Jedi: Survivor. And if you look at performance metrics on older mid-range CPUs like the Ryzen 5 3600, it's clear that this class of CPUs struggles to avoid visible frame-time spikes without greatly sacrificing visuals.

On high-end kit, the game does run well and looks good enough at 60fps, but judging the game holistically on a range of hardware shows that its options and scaling needs further developer attention.

4 hours ago, AbsolutSurgen said:
WWW.EUROGAMER.NET

How does Forza Motorsport (2023) fare on PC? Here's the full Digital Foundry PC tech review from Alex Battaglia, includ…

It’s kinda funny that the jump over the SX version is quite substantial but the gulf between high end pc and console is such that it’s not nearly enough since high end pc practically isn’t even in the same generation now.

Real shame it doesn’t have RTGI since they showed it off, but they do have somewhat of a history of adding pc features post launch so it could be coming. If they have concerns over cpu usage they should A) Use more than one core and B) add fsr3/dlss3 frame gen and problem solved. 

Not specifically stated but it sounds like this is a 60fps game and you shouldn’t try to run it at 120fps because of the multiplayer cap, the in-game forced vsync, and the cpu bottleneck. 

Beyond that it does look really nice and I’ll just pump up the image quality at 60fps.